User Tag List

20Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Post your useful customizations / shortcuts

First time mini owner. I've got a lot of features still to learn, some of this is probably already familiar to you veterans, but here's what I've learned so far. Not all will apply, depends on packages, etc:

- Color LED ring around the center stack is completely customizable. If you don't want a disco you can turn it off. Mine is set to only show events such as adjusting the volume, changing the ambient lighting and changing A/C controls. You can do heartbeat, RPM indicator or ambient lighting if you want it to be on the whole time. For those that complain it's tacky, it's easy to turn off like I did and have it only show on certain events. It's under settings.

- Dayime running LEDs are customizable (for those that have them). I actually turned mine off. I thought it just a little pretentious to have them always on during the day, but that's personal preference. Shame that my LEDs will not go used during the day haha.

- Music inputs - talk about options. I can think of no less than at least four ways to enjoy music from a phone or iPod - cradle, audio cable, USB cable, bluetooth streaming. No one should have a problem being able to connect your phone or iPod. I have an android phone. More options too - USB stick with MPs and if you have the HDD you can transfer music to the HDD too.

- Driving mode customization - like the throttle response of sport mode but not not the suspension settings? You can change this in the settings for driving modes. You can decide what Sport and Green will do. Curious to know if you can change steering response separate, I didn't see that though.
jeremybingham and jay524 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage
It's not just which options you;ve chosen, it's which country your car is in as well. For example, in Europe I'm sure you won't be able to disable daytime running lights.

I don't think I have any settings for configuring sport mode... but I don't have variable damper control.

My best tip so far is to use the buttons around the idrive controller... they basically get you directly to the top level menu options.
EllieB, kenl and jeremybingham like this.

Mark
post #3 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintMark View Post
It's not just which options you;ve chosen, it's which country your car is in as well. For example, in Europe I'm sure you won't be able to disable daytime running lights.

I don't think I have any settings for configuring sport mode... but I don't have variable damper control.

My best tip so far is to use the buttons around the idrive controller... they basically get you directly to the top level menu options.
Great point about country specifics. I almost committed a cardinal sin by complaining about the audio controls on the steering wheel. For me in the U.S. I couldn't figure out why the audio controls were on the right, it means I can't shift (6-speed manual) and work the audio controls at the same time (need my right hand for both). Then I remembered - this is a UK car and on right hand drive your left hand shifts, so it makes sense the audio controls are for the right hand.
jeremybingham likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorlux View Post
Great point about country specifics. I almost committed a cardinal sin by complaining about the audio controls on the steering wheel. For me in the U.S. I couldn't figure out why the audio controls were on the right, it means I can't shift (6-speed manual) and work the audio controls at the same time (need my right hand for both). Then I remembered - this is a UK car and on right hand drive your left hand shifts, so it makes sense the audio controls are for the right hand.

A good theory, but incorrect, I think. BMW has moved audio controls to the right side on all their current models. I am used to their being on the left too, and don't like the switch, but I'm used to it already.

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...s-Steering.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darex View Post
A good theory, but incorrect, I think. BMW has moved audio controls to the right side on all their current models. I am used to their being on the left too, and don't like the switch, but I'm used to it already.

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...s-Steering.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Think your right as my fiesta has the controls on keft and as you know in uk the gear stick is on the left so must agree it a bmw/mini thing.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sounds like you're both right!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
If you want the led lights in the centre ring and the door card to flash through all the colours, press and hold the switch on the roof control for 3 seconds and release, the lights will now scroll through them all. Disco style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blazing red with a black roof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2014, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Speaking of radio buttons on the steering wheel... Do you guys find it odd that the volume up and down functions are on the left and right buttons and the <<<Previous song and >>> next song functions are up and down buttons? Seems backwards to me
post #9 of 15 Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Garage
The limit button inside the cruise control buttons let you set a max speed. Great around town if there are speed cameras etc. If you floor it you override it too!

Just touch the 6 buttons below the media on off switch, and they show you what t eye do. You can configure these to do lots of things.

Input, where do I start, if you have media xl and sat nav you have voice control, handwriting recognition or use the I drive controller to select. Amazing.mind you still not good at any of these!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #10 of 15 Old 12-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I set my speed warning to 80km now , for those city speed traps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page