Can't open bonnet - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 10-10-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can't open bonnet

I'm wondering if it is just me or if anybody else has experienced difficultly opening their bonnet?
You pull the leaver twice and the bonnet should just be able to lift open, however, after I've pulled the leaver twice one side of the bonnet is ready to be lifted up but the other side is stuck. The only way around this is for somebody else to pull the leaver whilst I lift open the bonnet, not something I could do if I break down by myself.
Is there a knack to this Im missing or is something not quite right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
I have to pull the lever more than twice, I think, I just keep pulling it until it sounds like the catches have been released, if you know what I mean!

I expect you have tried that though.
post #3 of 40 Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
Mine seems to take three pulls
!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

post #4 of 40 Old 10-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_m_93 View Post
I'm wondering if it is just me or if anybody else has experienced difficultly opening their bonnet?
You pull the leaver twice and the bonnet should just be able to lift open, however, after I've pulled the leaver twice one side of the bonnet is ready to be lifted up but the other side is stuck. The only way around this is for somebody else to pull the leaver whilst I lift open the bonnet, not something I could do if I break down by myself.
Is there a knack to this Im missing or is something not quite right?
Mine is very difficult to pull (I have to wear gloves) ( no comments please!) but it does open on the count of two. A frail person could NOT open my Mini hood/bonnet.

Put it down to bad design.

Last edited by sirron; 10-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-12-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes I've tried to pull it more than twice but no luck I'm scared that if I pull it any harder the leaver will snap! I definitely wouldn't consider myself to have a lot of muscle so that might just be the problem. It's just strange how one side pops open and can be lifted up but the other side seems to stick. Will let MINI know when it's time for a service.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_m_93 View Post
Yes I've tried to pull it more than twice but no luck I'm scared that if I pull it any harder the leaver will snap! I definitely wouldn't consider myself to have a lot of muscle so that might just be the problem. It's just strange how one side pops open and can be lifted up but the other side seems to stick. Will let MINI know when it's time for a service.
Don't hold your breath waiting for your car to tell you a service is due!

I looked on the central display thing under vehicle information, I think it was, and dates like 2016 and 2017 came up for things like oil change and brake fluid change.
The old one year or 10000miles, or sooner, rule obviously no longer applies!
post #7 of 40 Old 10-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Because of this message the first thing I did as part of the pre-purchase inspection yesterday was open the bonnet. Two firm pulls on the handle, then an easy lift up on the hood. No issues here.
hotrunner likes this.

2015 VO MINI HEAVEN!
post #8 of 40 Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
I notice there is very little grease applied to modern cars-I've greased mine-both sides with a bit of spray on white ptfe grease-seems fine! They don't seem to put grease on any hinges or things these days so I go over all my cars as soon as I get them and give them a squirt-certainly with r56 door handles it really helped. No problems as yet with my f56 bonnet but I have sprayed anything that moves!
vegbiker and Slinky like this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #9 of 40 Old 12-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just tried to open my mothers F56 bonnet to top up oil and although I pulled the catch twice the bonnet only opened slightly. I assume there are two catches to release. No amount of pulling release lever will open the bonnet. Looks like a careful drive to the dealer.
post #10 of 40 Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
That is annoying, hope it is easily sorted.

Also, I am surprised that it needs oil!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page