Problem after problem - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Problem after problem

I picked up my F56 Cooper S on 2nd September and the car has been at the dealer way more than it should be. Having read the forums prior to taking delivery I expected there would be teething problems, and was mentally prepared to accept the odd niggle and use the warranty to remedy it.

The car has been in at the dealer for excessive creaks and rattles. The interior always seemed to be firm and of decent quality, and it's not as if I drive a lot of bad roads, but I have experienced so many issues with endless trim noises.

My speedo makes a clicking noise when driving along the road, any slight bump and you hear like a plastic on plastic single click, but repeatedly like every 5-10 seconds. I was informed by the dealer that they couldn't find a problem, despite being in the car with them when it was happening. This issues went away by itself, but it has now returned to torture me.

I have problems with the stereo getting interrupted every 5-10 seconds where there is a slight break in the sound. At first I thought this was DAB as I was listening to the radio and didn't have an iPod or anything with me. This later became more frequent and was noticeably not just DAB that was affected, but all sources, whether iPhone, iPod or radio. The car has been in for weeks for the dealer to scratch their heads and try to diagnose this issue. They spend a week failing to replicate the issue, despite me informing them exactly how to reproduce it. Eventually I was called in to prove there actually was a problem, so I came in and right away within 5 minutes I had the issue displaying itself in all it's glory. The senior Technician couldn't believe it, and even with the iPod/iPhone disconnected it persisted. Here's where it gets even more messed up, if the engine is switched off, the doors locked and all power drained from the car, only then does it disappear, almost like an electrical fault or head unit software reset or something. So this is an ongoing issue where BMW Technical are pretty much saying it's my iPhone and cables that are the problem as I am the only person experiencing this. BMW Technical claimed the iPhone 5s wasn't compatible with the USB cable connection, but my iPod was. So my dealer loaned me a BMW USB to Lightning cable and I made it my mission to disprove their theory. I was able to reproduce the issue with the "compatible" iPod and the BMW cable. So now it's back to BMW Technical to find something else of mine to blame.

I reported once before that my steering felt heavy, and I am still convinced my steering is intermittently heavy. Sometimes I get in the car and everything is fine, other times even in Green the steering is overly heavy, and there is a noticeable gradual firmness between Green, Mid and Sport modes, which is normal. However a few times Green and Mid have felt exactly the same. This is at very low and high speeds. I fully understand that the steering has variable stiffness the faster you go, but this is sometimes overly heavy at very slow speed, where you would expect the steering to be lighter for manoeuvres. With it being electric steering, it is possible there is an electrical problem somewhere. This might tie in with my intermittent stereo problems.

I know some people have mentioned previously about their cars not being locked when they go to get in it. Well I have experienced this twice. The first time I put it down to human error and I had pressed a button. I got in the car one morning and got a warning that the boot was open, so I got out and had a look, and right enough the boot was open. So as I said I just assumed I screwed up. Well yesterday I nipped out to the car and noticed the door pins were up, and I knew I had 100% locked the car, and I knew I hadn't accidentally hit a button as the lights never came on. So I got in the car, started the engine and was greeted by an alert that my boot was open. So naturally I got out, walked round and right enough the boot was open. I'm thinking this could be another electrical problem somewhere.

Call me paranoid or whatever you like, but three problems that could essentially be related to electrical problems sounds like a pattern and not a coincidence to me.

I have been in contact with BMW Customer Service, MINI Customer Service and my dealer, and I am just getting tired of problems, and by rights I have to give the dealer a chance to fix all the problems, but I am seriously considering the next step as rejecting the car. Which is really a shame as I absolutely love driving the car, it just drives like nothing I have ever driven before. Every time I get a courtesy car they are all brand new 64 plates, but I still miss my own car, and it's like sheer bliss to get in and drive it whenever I get it back, despite it's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like one problem might be causing all of this eg dodgy ecu or loose wire that is causing all this since they are electricl. I'd be very tempted to reject it let them give you another car. You are within your right s since you are giving them ample time to sort it. They make so many there is bound to n be the odd trapped wire loose earth etc .poor you share your pain.we had a lemon Hyundai bought brand new a 4 years ago and that's why we moved to mini initially! It was a r
Total mare and the 5 year warranty soon galls when your car is at the dealeer every week. We had to get very firm,I wrote to Hyundai direct to 'help the dealer get what they thought was needed!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Cheers Scotsman for sharing your experience thus far. What i fear most are the very creaks and rattles you mentioned. I have so far hit 750 miles and nothing terribly major, but alas i am getting a faint vibrational buzzing from the rear. Just hoping it gets no worse.

Pepper White Cooper Hatch

post #4 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry to see you've had so many problem's I have a Cooper S driven within an inch of its life 3300 miles and iv nothing bad to report.. other than the media unit going faulty at 4 days old which was replaced. Hope you get a resolution soon.

VO Cooper S!!
post #5 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Garage
Cooper 1500 miles and 3 months old,teeny window creak,on occasion,therefore delighted. Far superior to my r56 which had more rattles than an Arizona snake.
j0nack3rs likes this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #6 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybingham View Post
more rattles than an Arizona snake.
LOL legend
jeremybingham and j0nack3rs like this.
post #7 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Countyman SD for a very short while..

Briefly:

Bought it new, on the day of collection, the sales guy couldn't open it.. 1 hour later and seriously not happy i came home in a courtesy car, thinking they can keep the car.
Anyway the next day collected it and noticed it did not have an on board comp, despite being told it would have by the sales dept.. It was only after me trawling the net that i found i could get a software update to install the computer, even though the dealer said it can't be done!!!
Two days later windows started to creak on the rubbers, car used to feel very skittish, Fuel consumption was crap, among other things.
After heated discussions and having covered 1100 miserable miles the dealer bought it back with me loosing 1000.
The point i am making is, sometimes you learn to hate a car after having a bad start with it, you look for all its faults..

The Countyman is a Horrendous car in my opinion!!!!

I am however very pleased with my Cooper S so far, it is by far a superior car than anything else that Mini has produced.
jeremybingham likes this.
post #8 of 51 Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi Peter. I understand what you are saying, but I don't hate the car. Yes I have had a very rocky start, but I thoroughly enjoy the car and would like nothing more than it to be working.
jeremybingham likes this.
post #9 of 51 Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
TheScotsman, the exact same issue (unlocking with the boot open) happened to me this evening.

I know I locked the car as the radio turned off when I pressed the lock button on the remote. I looked out the window when coming up to bed, no flashing red light. Popped out, doors were unlocked and there was a light indicating the boot was open.

The key went from my hand (to lock) to a flat surface where there was no chance any buttons could've been pressed.

I love my car but am seriously worried this could happen again when the car isn't somewhere as secure as my front drive
post #10 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyrandom View Post
TheScotsman, the exact same issue (unlocking with the boot open) happened to me this evening.

I know I locked the car as the radio turned off when I pressed the lock button on the remote. I looked out the window when coming up to bed, no flashing red light. Popped out, doors were unlocked and there was a light indicating the boot was open.
I have had my car in all week regarding these issues, and they said that my iPod must be the problem with the stereo (when last time it was my iPhone), and that they haven't seen any issue with my car unlocking itself, so there must not be a problem.

I am getting the car back tomorrow as this is just a complete waste of time, and I will figure out what my end game will be later. I love the car, I just want the problems fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page