Car is locked in "PARK" - help! - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car is locked in "PARK" - help!

I have an automatic transmission 2015. Got into the car this morning and released the handbrake and went to change gears to reverse out of the garage, and nothing. The gear is locked and won't come out of Park.

What is wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Did you leave your key in the house? I think that would prevent the car from driving. Sometimes I start my car and let it warm up for a bit, but then I forget my key inside the house when I go back out to the car.
MINIgirl likes this.

2015 MINI Cooper S 5-Door
Midnight Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Once the vehicle is started, I don't believe removing the key from the cabin prevents switching gears. There is a section in the manual that goes over how to manually release the shift lever lock. I believe it's on page 69. It's a bit of an involved process though.
MINIgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I spent about twenty minutes trying, turning the car off, waiting a few minutes, then starting it again. The gear remained locked in park position. About three hours later I called the dealer service when they opened and they said I would have to get the car towed to them, not that easy considering how far away they are.

I tried the process again after getting off the phone with them and it worked! Just like that! I later talked to the sales guy and he said it was probably a "programming error" rather than something mechanical. He said to take the car in and get it checked out.
jeremybingham and Atrak like this.
post #5 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I had it happen to me right before Christmas. Just when I was about to give up and call roadside assistance, my husband decided to give it a try and of course it worked. I feel bad about saying I'm glad it happened to you, but it may now cut down on the number of jokes around here about my hair colour! Was you your car parked on any kind of a slope at all? Because that can apparently lock you transmission up. Jostling the car a little can unstick things. At least that was the explanation I was given.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Wheee. No the car was on a flat surface in my garage where I always park it. I just hope it doesn't happen again!
post #7 of 39 Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I haven't had any repeats. Maybe our cars were just expressing their quirky sense of humour and all is good now. My dealership hadn't heard of anything like it and didn't seem particularly concerned. If you hear anything more from your dealership, I would be interested to know more.
MINIgirl likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 04-26-2015, 05:25 PM

2015 mini locking transmission

Happened to me today while parked on a slope. Page54 of the manual describes how to manually release the transmission lock.unerneath the sleeve of the shifter there is a yellow button. You push it, slightly move the shifter back... Car will jerk, but then you can shift. I drove can for about 10 minutes, parked in on a flat surface and it happened again! Boyfriend came over and of course no issue for him.....seems to working now .. Tried it about 5 more times with no problem. Good luck !
post #9 of 39 Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
How strange... so this is occurring in multiple cases... ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage
This issue came up on another forum. There is a service bulletin out for this - some F56/F55s with older software may experience this. No faults are stored and it's difficult to reproduce.

A newer software will fix it and can be done by the dealer under warranty. The process can take several hours (grab a loaner!) since it has to reprogram the entire car, but it should fix your problem.
jamesahy and BlazzO like this.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page