Mini Cooper Forum banner

F56 MINI Cooper S - ECU tune to 292 BHP / 392 NM

105K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Tasty fish 
#1 ·
Pretty impressive numbers for an otherwise stock car (zero mods except ECU tune)

As far as I'm aware this is the first tune which is direct to the ECU and not a piggyback tune using a box that plugs into the MAF and throttle body. Carried out by a French / Belgian tuner called ShiftTech.....

I guess it shows how much potential this 2.0 B48 engine has :)

See less See more
#3 ·
That's food for thought!

Rix, I understand that the B48 2.0-litre hasn't been used in other BMW models to date except the 2-series active tourer, however I believe that it will be going forwards.

Even if the engine can take it and we make an assumption that the gearbox could, would the car be able to get that torque down? My stock F56 MCS already 'curbs' power in first, second and third gears - with DSC off the wheels spin easily.....

It is exciting though ��

#4 ·
What i understand is that the turbo on de B48 engine is smaller than the N20 engine. That's why most BMW have better performance figures after tuning.

The Shiftech tuning to 292HP is not just with ECU tuning. They have also fitted a complete different exhaust to it. With just ECU tuning it puts out 260HP, which i doubt.... BR-Perfomance states an output of 240HP after ECU tuning and i personally expect that to be an achievable figure.

#5 ·
I also think you have to take those figures with a pinch of salt.

First of, there is apparently lower power loss at higher output?! should be the other way around.

Second is that there is no way you can run a 50% power increase safely on standard parts. Turbo will be maxed out generating loads of extra heat. downpipe and exhaust will generate to much backpreassure for turbo to last. Injectors and fuel system will be bottomed out with high risk of predetonation. Clutch will slip. And then there is offcourse the risk of piston, rod and gearbox -failure.

I agree that 240hp seems to be the reasonable level to run safely without upgrading: intercooler, injectors, clutch and dowpipe.

#8 ·
It doesn't surprise me that the engine could produce those figures, but how reliable the unit would be is another matter.

Turbocharged 2.0-litre engines can reliably produce 350hp in production form, but as others have said all components need to be designed to handle that power. No manufacturer is going to over-engineer and deliberately restrict it.

#14 ·
Thats a nice jump, bmw engines tend to take modding very well, for gearbox's its torque that kills them not the power, just have to look at the 335d adn the torque that creates!.

Torque from 206-289lbs is a good jump but well within the engine/gearbox limits me thinks, you dont need a large jump in boost to get these figures, clutch would be my only worry, but I wouldnt be that worried :)

#20 ·
BMW has said that this engine will get 300 HP reliably. That probably requires a bigger turbo unit than stock in the F56. I believe BMW also said it would require a bigger inter-cooler, which may be limited by space available in the F56. But that is to meet manufacturer reliability requirements which would err on the side of caution. Not that that's a bad thing.

I've had 260 hp in my brain as a target, after warranty :), which is what I see Shift lists as Stage 1. Very excited to see this, & hear from other companies as my warranty period ticks by.

#23 ·
I think I may now have to wait for the GP for myself as opposed to my wifes JCW if BMW are saying 300bhp "safely"...

Although, I've had 360hp/363ft lb from a 2.0l before and that had 4wd (Evo X). Highest power I've had fwd was around 260 and even with a "clever" diff it was a bit of a nightmare on the road. Maybe they can make a Haldex 4wd fit in the F56? With 300hp and a bit of bracing, I could see that being a giggle! (and knock the S1/S3 into the weeds.. and keep up with the RS3 :))

#24 ·
I think that quote means in engineering terms for longevity of the engine

And nothing to do with drivability for mrs average
( or hot as I've not met mrs hurbet)

#27 ·
I can't see the 3 door getting 4WD, there's just not enough room for a prop shaft and rear dif. Now, given that the GP is only a 2 seater, then possibly.

However, a big tune on the new JCW Clubbie may be more interesting. That will be 4WD, and it utilises a different auto box too, so 300bhp would be possible with a proper tune.

You'd need the JCW engine as that has better components.

#28 ·
For several weeks I searched for a reputable company that offered a significant performance increase that is simple and good value. I have been running my 2014 Cooper S (F56) for two weeks now since having the Celtic tuning stage 2 ECU remap done at Raw Performance in Mississauga, Ontario. They guarantee 284 BHP and 293 lb/ft of torque for about half the price of a sports exhaust system. The power and acceleration are phenomenal and I haven't made any other modifications many of which cost a small fortune and only offer a small performance increase. The power increase is also researched by Celtic to ensure that it is within safe working tolerances of the entire drivetrain. If you want to put a huge grin on your face every time you drive, look no further. The JCW model I tested wasn't even close to what I have now.

#33 ·
I currently have a spider tuning box on my cooper s f56, the car pulls like crazy now! in 'race' mode it runs at 4psi boost which has made a huge difference throughout the entire rev range! i had it dyno'd at 239 bhp however i have now added a new exhaust as well as an itg air filter so will probably be a little higher now. i am thinking of selling it for £200 (bought for £400 new 9 months ago) as i am looking into a custom map to maybe squeeze a tad more power out. The box makes a massive improvement though from stock its night/day difference.

if anyone is interested in buying it drop me a message and il happily send you some more info/pics !

Joe.

#34 ·
I have had my MCS tuned by Avon Tuning with a dyno run before and after. Before was 204 bhp, after was 275 bhp so even if the dyno was over reading it shows a nice 70 bhp increase. The tune is supposed to give 260 bhp. Car now feels more powerful, with lots of low down torque and an immense mid range, feels like a 2 litre turbo in a small car now!

As to reliability, in my past tuning the 'proper' mini, MkI Golfs etc. I always understood that to keep the car reliable you should have some revs on the counter before putting your foot down as it's large torque at low revs that really kills engines and drive trains. So I try to make sure I don't put my foot down hard until the engine is spinning a bit.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.