Adding Sirius XM satellite radio after purchase - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question Adding Sirius XM satellite radio after purchase

Hi Everyone! Hopefully this is a quick one to answer... I did not get satellite radio in any package or add-on with my 2015 Mini (F55) in December when I purchased my car. Thus, I don't see it as an audio option in my display screen. In my research, I see that newer Minis are equipped with the satellite antenna regardless, and I can bring it to my dealer to have it activated (I know, it's pricey to do this!). Is that true? Also, once activated, will the satellite option appear on my display along with the normal radio, external devices, etc.? Or will I end up having to mount a Sirius thing to my dash?

2015 MINI Cooper S 5-Door
Midnight Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I had it added to mine and it just involved the dealership installing some software. However I do have the HK radio option and I don't know if that is required to allow it or not.
aLaRoche likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Nope, HK is not required. It's just a simple module installation by the dealership. Adding Sirius is one of the easier post-purchase electrical additions you can make to one of these cars.
cltnmars and aLaRoche like this.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't realize you had to add it because my first mini came with it. Lucky for me they were able to add it before they started my build. I love having my favorites musicians saved to get notifications when they are on another channel. It is interesting how many channels Eric Clapton shows up on. Even Siriusly Sinatra.

Last edited by PAMini; 05-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
It will have satellite radio preparation which means the hardware is all there, it just needs an activation code from SIRIUS. My local dealer charges ~$425 including labor, but double check with yours. The code itself is $350 so don't expect a dealer to do it for less than that, but once activated, it will be like you had it all along.

EDIT: The activation code also comes with a year of service as well!
aLaRoche likes this.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #6 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought one of Ebay for $ 19.00 with a Goose Neck plugged it into the Cig Lighter placed the Antenna on the dash by the windshield and run the wires behind the plastic covers works like a charm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone ever attempted this in North America ? I live in BC and also have a 2015 Cooper S, but my car did not come with the satellite radio option. For those that had this installed, what was the approx. cost ?

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead. ~Mac McCleary

post #8 of 21 Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlkarl View Post
I just bought one of Ebay for $ 19.00 with a Goose Neck plugged it into the Cig Lighter placed the Antenna on the dash by the windshield and run the wires behind the plastic covers works like a charm.
And that is exactly why I wanted it built into my car this time around. I was absolutely DONE with the aftermarket solution. I was an early adopter of Sirius when it came out and after years of units suction cupped, velcroed, and wired in various places all around my vehicle (and also dealing with the whole, ok, do I try to hard wire it in or just go with the spotty FM transmitter, argument) I just wanted my car to have it... inside itself.
uke and Evlkarl like this.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltnmars View Post
Has anyone ever attempted this in North America ? I live in BC and also have a 2015 Cooper S, but my car did not come with the satellite radio option. For those that had this installed, what was the approx. cost ?
Yes - it is super common and doesn't take long. Like I said, it's one of the things that they actually made easy to upgrade. I can't speak for the cost, but when I was ordering mine, the MA intimated that it would be close to the factory price in the configurationator.
aLaRoche likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
Tiger, on the + side if my Mini is in the Shop I just plug Depeche Mode into the Rental Mini.

Tiger likes this.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page