Battery Discharged (??) - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Battery Discharged (??)

Been away for four weeks, came back, ran the car for a week, did 200 miles in daylight yesterday, got a message on the display today - battery discharging when stationary! Drove to my dealer to be told "They all do that sir, just drive it around for a few days then bring it back and we'll plug the computer in and sort it out"

They then told me that they have to charge the batteries of their used car stock every four weeks. When I asked what was draining the battery, they assured me that everything shut down after twenty minutes and could not tell me why the battery dropped a couple of volts, triggering the Screen of Death message.
Their suggestion was that I buy a trickle charger or take it in after my holiday and they will charge it.

I have also been recalled to have something done to the oil filter, and my door hinge is loose, it's got a strange shaped nut and has to be booked it to the service department for a 30 second tighten up.

On the plus side, I have been assured that a fix for the paint scuffing on the door pillars is 'imminent'. It's what they call 'progress', making everything more complicated so the only people who can do anything to a vehicle are the people who made it.😡
jeremybingham likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
These cars use a IBS (Intellegent Battery Sensor), the idea is when you lock your car (assuming you do as some US folk leave it unlocked in the garage) then it put most of the systems in a sleep mode and only leaves the essential programs on, likewise if it detects a current draw on a low batter it can shut off non-critical systems. Getting a message like "increased battery discharge" is just saying there has been more taken out of the battery than put back in (charge). I use a CTEK 5 if I leave my car for long periods, that keeps the battery tip top and works with all battery types including AGM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

But why doesn't the battery charge up when it is driven?

post #4 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
It's a pretty heavy electrical load when all the goodies are running, so it will take awhile to recharge it. If I remember right (and I'm not gonna look it up right now), the Owner's Manual recommends that if you're going to be leaving it for - I think this is the right time frame - two weeks or more, you should keep it on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up. My motorcycle has a similar kind of issue - if the battery dies, I can jump start it, but the engine itself draws so much that the very act of running the engine will kill the battery (and the bike itself) when it's weak like that. But only when it's really, really inconvenient and probably raining or about to rain ha.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Yes as Tiger says pretty much, there are tons of things on the cars these days so running them all takes quite a bit of battery usage so alternator when running might just be driving them and not devoting enough to charge the battery depending on how the IBS sees things, although a long journey (70 miles +) I would think would start to put things right, but short journeys probably not, just get a CTEK 5 and leave it connected overnight
post #6 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I love that - just get a CTEK 5 and leave it connected. The nearest power to where my car is parked is measured in hundreds of metres. The whole thing is ridiculous, my last three or four cars have all been left for a month or more and have all started. Progress?

I suspect this unusual (up here any hot weather is unusual) hot weather has caused the aircon to overload the battery. Next time I leave it I'll wind the windows down if it's hot when I get back.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Could install something like this...

http://www.jmsonline.net/cole-hersee...FUWRfgodTV0Gzg

I adore my 2015 Pepper Pack MCS!
post #8 of 18 Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I only drove 25K miles on my 2012 Countryman and I started getting "increased battery discharge". I do usually drive short trips and lately I got into a bad habit of not locking the doors. MINI dealer wants to charge me USD 400 to replace and re-register the new battery. I wonder have I done too much damage now to use CTEK?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-29-2015, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
$400 for a battery - think that must be a world record price!
Is it not still under warranty? I would expect that a battery should last more than 3 years.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-29-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
$400 for a battery - think that must be a world record price!
Is it not still under warranty? I would expect that a battery should last more than 3 years.

For what it's worth... when I had my 2015 MCS' first CBS service, I was advised battery life is expected to be four years based on typical and frequent use (10,000 miles/year). Early failure would be covered under original warranty.

If one falls out of the warranty window, cost for OEM replacement through MINI service today would be close to $400 because, in addition to standard labor costs, the battery must also be registered and programmed to meet the needs of your specific vehicle. If one were to replace it themselves, the OEM part cost is about $150-200.

Carpe diem!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page