1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 09-29-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel Tank Service Bulletin

Hi,

I've been having an issue while fueling my 2015 MINI Cooper S, where while fueling, the pump clicks off as if the tank were full even though it's nowhere near. So, I took my MINI into the dealership, where they examined it and told me that there is a service bulletin relating to this. The remedy is to completely replace the fuel tank with a newly designed one, however they're currently back ordered.

I'm wondering has anyone else had this issue, or heard of this service bulletin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
I've not seen a bulletin, but I have noticed that the pump will click full when the tank will hold one to two gallons more. I just keep pumping 'til it clicks again. Not the first vehicle I've had that does this.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-30-2015, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Been the same with all 4 of our MINIs. My trick is to put the nozzle in upside down. Works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblestrip View Post
My trick is to put the nozzle in upside down.
Ditto.

My theory is that the breather hose from the tank is poorly situated so the air coming out of the tank (displaced by the fuel going in) triggers the auto-off in the pump nozzle. Twisting the nozzle to anything but down fixes the problem and 180 degrees is an easy alternative. Those of us old farts who have arthritis arriving also find it less effort to hold the nozzle trigger down this way, too.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips, as it's pretty annoying taking 15 minutes or longer to fill the tank. As mines bad enough I barely get a tenth of a gallon in at a time before it'd click off. My service advisor told me that MINI just updated this bulletin with the fix being that new fuel tank, so maybe that's why more haven't heard about it yet.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
What build dates are these problem tanks? My June 2015 build has no such problems.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that some cars you can't simply jam the nozzle into the filler tube as far as possible, you have to be more measured, and many cars can't have the refuelling nozzle on full-blast either.

'15 JCW 6MT :: Midnight Black/Chili Red
post #7 of 32 Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Garage
How do you know your tank isn't full? The lights on the instrument pod don't light up all the way to the top?

I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JCW, 3 Door Hardtop, Manual

Midnight Black Metallic w/JCW Bonnet Stripes, 18" Cup Spoke Wheels, JCW Dinamica Sport Seats, HK Sound System, LED Driving/Rally Lights
post #8 of 32 Old 10-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Passenger View Post
Hi,

I've been having an issue while fueling my 2015 MINI Cooper S, where while fueling, the pump clicks off as if the tank were full even though it's nowhere near. So, I took my MINI into the dealership, where they examined it and told me that there is a service bulletin relating to this. The remedy is to completely replace the fuel tank with a newly designed one, however they're currently back ordered.

I'm wondering has anyone else had this issue, or heard of this service bulletin?

Yep I've had this issue, I know what you mean about it seemingly clicking off every 5 seconds. I found it tends to click off when I fully depress the nozzle all the way, and if I press it about half way it's fine. But obviously takes longer to fill up (also not sure if doing this means that it doesn't click off when it's actually full).

Will try the nozzle upside down suggestion. Btw do you guys mean that the nozzle is completely 180 degrees upside down when filling?
post #9 of 32 Old 10-01-2015, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Ah and also I noticed the other day when it clicked off I pulled the nozzle out and could see the petrol in the filler. Thought I'd over filled it but it then went down into the tank.

Could maybe be that the fuel is going into the mini too quickly and the sensors are reading that it's full when it just needs a moment to go down into the actual tank? Bit of a design flaw if that's the case.

As a side note a friend of mine bought a new Toyota recently and the same problem happened to him.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
How do you know your tank isn't full? The lights on the instrument pod don't light up all the way to the top?

I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.
I just refueled yesterday as I only had a quarter tank left, and I could only get it to half a tank in 10 minutes. So, no it's not full.

I've tried the nozzle in at different depths, and all have the same issue. I can't actually even depress the handle halfway, and it still clicks off. I have issues at even a quarter or less handle depression. I also tried the nozzle at different angles and it didn't help.

My MINI is a Dec. 2014 build for those interested.

This is just a seriously annoying problem that I hope this new fuel tank fixes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page