1st service due when? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st service due when?

When I bought my car a little less than a year ago, the sales guy said the first service was due at 10,000 miles. I called to make an appointment and the guy in service was acting like I was a complete lunatic.

He said the servicing on a Mini is "driver based" and depends on how I drive the car...WTH? He said that the car will tell me when it needs service. The only light in the dash has been saying service in September 2015 and has been saying that since I bought the car in November 2014.

What is the real deal here? Is what he is saying accurate? Surely the car needs some kind of check by 10,000 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Garage
I think they told me 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first for my first oil change. It will be a year first for me at the rate I'm going...LOL! I'll never go 10,000 mile between oil changes, especially the first one. My mechanic recommended 6,000 mi. & that's what I'll do for the first one anyway. Did you check the Owner's Manual? Just a thought.

John
MINIgirl likes this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JCW, 3 Door Hardtop, Manual

Midnight Black Metallic w/JCW Bonnet Stripes, 18" Cup Spoke Wheels, JCW Dinamica Sport Seats, HK Sound System, LED Driving/Rally Lights
post #3 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
As far as UK Minis are concerned, there is a menu option displayed on the centre screen that lists the various service items, such as oil change and brake fluid change, the date by which they should be done and the mileage left until they need to be done.

There is no specific mileage as it is based on the type of driving the car experiences and the computer algorithm that works it all out, though many feel the oil should be changed earlier than that suggested by the computer.
MINIgirl likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Based on my 1st UOA, 10k miles appears to be a perfectly acceptable interval. That said, the dealership is actually correct; the on-board computer calculates when to change the oil, and it's not always 10k miles.

It's always smart to do the thorough oil level check through the on-board computer to make sure the level is OK, but otherwise, just wait until the car says it's ready. If you want to spend the money on a preemptive oil change, it's cheap insurance as the saying goes.
MINIgirl likes this.

'15 JCW 6MT :: Midnight Black/Chili Red
post #5 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
As your dealer and others have said the service off your Mini is driver based, this doesn't mean that you could go two years without a service if you don't move your car a lot it just means that the car can change the estimated value, for example when my car got delivered it said that the first/next service was due at 20,000km (12,427miles) now it's saying that I will have to bring the car when I reach 19,000km.

I got my car in June and in almost 6 months my odometer says I have traveled around 4,600km so it's pretty safe to say that my first service will be around June next year (I'm guessing the estimated kilometres will diminish once I start getting out of the city more often) when that date is near your car will give you a warning or if you want to check it before that go into your car settings.
MINIgirl likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
CBS - Computer Based Service

My car computer said take my car in for service and oil change at 9 months. The dealer wouldn't take my car. They wait for when I got delivery of my vehicle Anniversay date. That would make it 1 year on the road, then they will do a Year 1 Service to the vehicle. Just got it back today. The computer was reset, now my next service is in 10/2016.

Also, Mini uses the same/similar service computer as in BMW.
This is how it works.

CONDITION BASED SERVICE (CBS) – THE MINI CONCEPT.

Inflexible service intervals? No way! Servicing appointments for your MINI vary according to how often, how adventurously and how far you drive. In order to determine exactly when it's time for a check-up, your MINI monitors all of its important components itself: with built-in sensors, it can record the state of the brake pads or brake discs as well as engine oil or brake fluid levels. Using special algorithms, the MINI calculates all values in advance and then indicates when maintenance and servicing works needs to be carried out.

In this way, your MINI is serviced only when it's absolutely necessary, thus eliminating unnecessary journeys to service workshops − and saving time and money. And if you want to be absolutely on the safe side, then get a MINI service Inclusive package when you go in for your first oil change, or even earlier. For a one-off payment, all agreed services are covered completely − whenever they're needed and at all participating MINI Service Partners throughout the world.

You don't need to remember when this first oil change is due − because your MINI reminds you in good time of all upcoming servicing requirements. However, if you want to keep an eye on things for yourself, then you can, of course: All information is available in the Check Control Display in the rev counter or in the navigation system display in your MINI.

Even when you're at the garage, you don't need to put your memory in gear: your MINI Service Partner can simply read the CBS data saved on your MINI key and immediately see which servicing tasks need to be performed. After all, there are more important things to sue your memory for − such as the last sharp corner you took in your MINI, for example.
MINIgirl, Jm32 and Daniel Freitas like this.

life is just a bowl of cherries when driving a F56
post #7 of 16 Old 10-27-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the useful info. A bit technically challenged here, but I'm going to see if I can find out what the car is saying.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-28-2015, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Every time I start my car, it tells you in the little display in the speedo how many miles to go until the service is predicted.

My car is showing that the service is not due until 21k miles, it does have an easy drive most days.

For a salesperson to tell you it is 10k mile intervals when it is not is very poor on their part.
MINIgirl likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Passing information about oil change intervals between Europe and the US isn't too relevant - European cars get a nominal European oil change interval of 30,000 km (19,000 m)/24 months so I'm betting US cars get something different/less, as that interval would be at least ungodly if not actually heretical there.

European cars have had extended oil change intervals for long enough that if it caused a problem, there would be many R56 Minis with shot motors by now but no-one has seen them, so I think the shorter oil change intervals some people want are just old-fartism - and I'm old enough to remember when 3,000 miles was the normal oil change interval.
MINIgirl and Jm32 like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Long ago, my old 2008 Mini, used synthetic oil. The F56 also uses synthetic oil.
Mini has modified the oil change interval. It is of course based on mileage, use and time.
My 2008 oil would NOT get changed by the dealer until there was 25.000 km driven. Than a couple years later, that methodology didn't hold true, it was way too long for service and oil change. Poor engine, and then the 3 yr interval was changed by Mini to yearly or sooner depending on the CBS reminder. The dealer will NOT do an oil service change until the car is one year old. What has happened, when are cars were built, the calendar date starts to tick. So for example, my car was produced in July 2014, and delivered to me in October 2014. In July 2015 the CBS computer was telling me to take the car in for service. The dealer didn't reset the CBS based on the date of delivery to the customer. Even though the CBS was telling me July, the dealer was overriding this CBS computer and telling me that they WILL NOT service my car until the 1 year anniversary of delivery to me. This is what they call Year 1 Service. I also guess it has something to do with the dealer getting reimbursed from Mini Corp for service warranty. If they do it too soon, they will not get paid ? My car was serviced just yesterday. The CBS now says the next oil change is 10/2016. (For now) pending any other conditions, time, distance and use it could be sooner. Just my 2 Canadian cents.
MINIgirl likes this.

life is just a bowl of cherries when driving a F56

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page