• 1 Post By jeremybingham
  • 2 Post By siriuszero

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
Battery Replacement inside the Key

It all started yesterday when the Battery went dead inside the Key on the R56 since it is a simple CR 2032 I thought no big deal I pop it open replace the Battery quick easy cheap. Oh no not with a Mini. I even watch the Video on how to do it did a search on the R56 Forum come to find out Mini had 2 types of keys one you pop open change the Battery and another that need to be replaced for a whopping $ 135.00 so I take a closer look and it looks like too me the Key on the F56 is also a sealed unit. Dealer quoted me $ 155.00 to replace the key on the F56. So how long does that Battery last in them Remotes and has anybody found a way yet to open the key and replace the Battery in it? Sure you can use the cut key to open/close the doors but how do you start the car with a dead Battery in the key? I did see something about it in the Owners Manual like holding the Key underneath or on the right side of the steering column but honesty I do not quite understand how that should or could work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2015, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Garage
The r56 battery is rechargeable.charges when in its holder in the car everkarl.i
That's why the manual says use both or at least once every six months or so for your spare. Don't replace it go for a long drive or try the other!if and when it needs replacing it won't be cheap. On our f56they reverted to a normal battery. No idea how long that will last but time will tell!
Evlkarl likes this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Jeremy great info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Garage
All the keys for the F56/55/54 use a replaceable button cell battery - a 2032 or a 2025 I think. The "MINI" on the back of the key is the cover. My Countryman had comfort access and hence also had a replaceable cell battery as well and it lasted about 2 years before I needed to replace it so I would expect the 3rd gen MINIs to be about the same. The batteries are cheap - maybe $2-3 at most.
jeremybingham and Evlkarl like this.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page