User Tag List

22Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
FB1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dip Stick

now I'm probably being one but where is the dip stick?
how do I check engine oil level or is it done automatically with a warning if low?

2015 3-Door Cooper Manual Blazing Red Black Roof /Wheels Chilli Pack UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
there is no dip stick, You use the menu to verify your level

Check your car's built-in owner's manual for that....and more!

Me - F56 Cooper automagic Volcanic Orange
Mrs - 2009 Cooper Clubman PW automagic
Gone but fondly remembered - 2004 Cooper & 2008 Cooper
post #3 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
All electronic, though it does NOT automatically check for you. Continue to check your oil level every so often because it will only throw up a warning automatically if the oil is dangerously low.

To check your oil, from the main menu of your radio (Connected, XL, or base - it's the same), go to VEHICLE INFO, then to VEHICLE STATUS. There is an option to measure engine oil level. The engine has to be warmed up and you have to be parked, the measurement takes a minute, but your screen will display a gauge that will show how much oil you have.
jeremybingham likes this.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
I still prefer a manual dipstick, old motorheads don't adapt to electronic dipsticks! The F series is phenomenal, but not perfect. The electronics are great, but not perfect. Being a pilot I like redundancy and would like to have a manual dipstick for verification and in the event, however, unlikely of electronic failure. Trust but verify!
post #5 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Garage
I miss having "real gauges"...oil temp, oil pressure, amps...you actually can tell how well the engine is operating with gauges! I miss the dipstick as well.....something therapeutic about checking the oil on occasion and getting your hands dirty!

John
jeremybingham and KYDan like this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JCW, 3 Door Hardtop, Manual

Midnight Black Metallic w/JCW Bonnet Stripes, 18" Cup Spoke Wheels, JCW Dinamica Sport Seats, HK Sound System, LED Driving/Rally Lights
post #6 of 34 Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 PM

Garage
I ordered the F56 with the chrono pack in order to get analog oil pressure and boost pressure. I would rather have had oil or coolant temperature than the lap timer/stopwatch, but I took what I could get. Plus they look pretty cool on the dash. At speed it is difficult to see anything useful in the digital spaghetti behind the steering wheel and you have to punch the button on the end of the turn signal arm to scroll through whatever tiny information is presented in the instrument cluster. That's OK if you are stopped at a traffic light or something like that, but at speed in twisties it is sort of useless for me. However, I have found the engines in the R56 and F56 to be very reliable. I didn't order the heads up as I thought it was cheesy. They had them on the minis we drove at Indy and I didn't care for them.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Each to their own but I've never wanted to check vehicle status while enjoying a drive! I'm happy that it's easy to check when stationary (or motorway cruising I suppose)
post #8 of 34 Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
I really love my heads up display-lost now in any car without one! makes seeing the speed/nav /music so much safer. Like most i really mist the dipstick-not least because you can check the colour of the oil; black tar =time for a change! Cant do that anymore so i just do it yearly!
Burning_rubber likes this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #9 of 34 Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I know what you mean, its nice to keep an eye on things......but when was the last time you dipped your fuel tank to check the level???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
I still prefer a manual dipstick, old motorheads don't adapt to electronic dipsticks! The F series is phenomenal, but not perfect. The electronics are great, but not perfect. Being a pilot I like redundancy and would like to have a manual dipstick for verification and in the event, however, unlikely of electronic failure. Trust but verify!
post #10 of 34 Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybingham View Post
I really love my heads up display-lost now in any car without one! makes seeing the speed/nav /music so much safer. Like most i really mist the dipstick-not least because you can check the colour of the oil; black tar =time for a change! Cant do that anymore so i just do it yearly!
We have it in the corvette, it is projected in the windscreen and you can move it up or down to your liking. It also has some track courses programmed into it. It is also connected to the GPS. You can program certain preferences into it, albeit limited. It is in the field of vision while you are watching the road/track and is useful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page