Engine Fault! Reduced Power - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine Fault! Reduced Power

Hi everyone. I have a 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe. I've been having some issues lately. A couple of weeks ago the car was making a "putt putt" sound when I started it in the morning. Eventually I got a warning msg "Vehicle Battery - Increased battery discharge while stationary".

I took the car to an Autobarn, the guy advised that it needed recharging. Given the age of the car I thought it best to replace the battery completely. The car was ok for a few days, then, intermittently, the "putt putt" sound has come back.

Tonight though, when picking up the car from the station I got another warning msg "Engine fault! Reduced power - Full engine power no long available. Possible to continue journey. Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest Mini Service".

Has anyone encountered this message before? What does it mean??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160407_190113[1].jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	38298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160326_104756[1].jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	38306  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
That could be anything. Without the code it will be hard to diagnose. I would take it to your local dealer, or see if Autobarn can read the fault code
jeremybingham likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
Could be coking? Needs diagnostics.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Battery might need to be registered to/with the car.

http://atlanticmotorcar.com/tech-tip...replacement-2/

You also might find more information on a site that is not specific to the 2014+ F56. Try www.northamericanmotoring.com
jeremybingham likes this.

Last edited by vetsvette; 04-07-2016 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
For what it's worth I had that annoyingly vague warning come on when my car was fairly new (2015 MCS). In my case it turned out that a couple of fuel injectors had failed. The symptoms I saw were a bit different, with the car having next to no acceleration and sounding rough. I agree that it needs diagnostics at the shop to really tell what's going on.

Electric Blue 2015 Cooper S 5-door, Fully Loaded + Parking distance control, rear view camera, heads up display
post #6 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone...Bizarrely the message appeared briefly this morning then disappeared! There was some initial spluttering, I revved the engine and now it seems to be fine!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I had this reduced power business so often on my R56. It was a nightmare. I reckon I had it seven times over 3 and a half years, and 4 of them were in the last 12 months.

To resolve it in the past, it has required (in no particular order):

- new injector coils
- ECU upgrade
- new fuel pump
- another ECU upgrade
- just resetting as I only had it for another 5 weeks and the engineer said it was logging it as a wastegate issue, but he couldn't see anything wrong. So it'll be someone else's issue now!

I loved my R56, but it never got bored of letting me down. Quite why I've stuck with them for an F56 I'll never know!

F56 Cooper S, Thunder Grey, 17" Tentacle spoke wheels, Manual, Cloth/leather Diamond, Media Pack XL, CHILI, Variable Damper Control, Electric folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, JCW roof spoiler, Chrome line interior, Darkened rear glass, Seat heating, Anthracite headlining, Colour line - glowing red, PDC rear, JCW Steering Wheel.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 AM
JDW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend of mine recently purchased a new F54 Clubman about a month ago. He had a CAN-BUS alarm installed shortly thereafter. He had been using the car and alarm just fine until a day ago. He said he did not drive it for 2 days, and then the third day he started the car and saw the "Increased battery discharge" message. So it's not clear if it is something he did while driving that first month or if it is the alarm. He says the alarm draws only 9mA average current (when the vehicle CAN is sleeping). Would the sensor(s) in the F54 trigger the message if an accessory add-on used only 9 or 10mA of current for 2 days? Even 30mA of average current draw isn't going to zap a good battery in two days. Any thoughts? Is it really the 9mA car alarm? Could it be an ECU bug? Bad battery (even though the car is only 1 month old)? Bad IBS in the battery ground cable? Something else?

The down side is that if he visits his dealer and tells them he has a car alarm, they most likely wouldn't even investigate further and just tell him, "that's likely the problem, and we don't support third party accessories."

Thanks.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
Yours is an r series so there are people on other forums with a lot more knowledge ,however a lot of us have had r series cars and may help. This engine does suffer coking which would give the symptoms you describe: check with mini dealers that they have the kit (walnut shell decoke)it's reasonable ie between 2-500£ but an italian tune up may help; stick a fuel system cleaner in add shell vpower nitro and thrash it hard! Motorway plus high ie rev limit revs!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #10 of 13 Old 10-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Pretty sure the R56 Coopers never suffered with coking issues like the S & JCW did?

I'd assume as this thread was started months ago it's now sorted but who knows!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page