Mini Cooper Forum banner

Leak in Mini Cooper 2006 S Convertible - Please help if you can!

24K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  PeterD 
#1 ·
Hello

Please help Maurice my Mini Cooper S Convertible.

He's a 06 plate which I purchased in September 2015 and he's been great on the whole. However, in February last year I noticed the passenger footwell had a very small amount of water in it. Seemed to trickle in from the doorway.

Off he went into Mini (at a cost of over £140 for diagnostics!!) and they told me the door wasn't levelling when closed so there was a slight gap. They said they fixed this and off I went. A few months later I realised the problem wasn't fixed and a little more water was coming in through the door. Still, nothing too much to majorly panic about. Phoned mini. Said they would phone me back. They didn't and this went on until December 2016.

By December I'd noticed that the car was beginning to steam up slightly when not in use. I'd come back and it would look like someone was having a sauna inside! This was coupled with a few very small drops of water on the dash. Nothing again too major. There was still a little water in the footwell after heavy rain so I thought these were connected and vowed to get it finally sorted with Mini in the new year.

I phoned Mini and the earliest they could pick my car up was in a few weeks (now Monday). As they didn't fix the problem before they are looking at the issue free of charge again. That was fine until I got in the car on Saturday....

As background I haven't had an electrical issues to date with the car. In addition, the weather was particularly bad in the last few weeks with heavy rain and snow lying on the roof. This melted off during the days and my car was parked up for a week during this period. It was parked on a gradual slope (nothing too steep) with the bonnet facing downwards.

Came back to my car on Saturday and noticed a little water on the dash. Looked down at the passenger footwell and it was absolutely drenched. So wet in fact the water couldn't be absorbed by the carpet anymore. I drove away from my house and turned to drive back uphill. Almost immediately for about 5 seconds water came streaming out of the air vents by the rear view mirror in the car. Just like a teapot. Then I realised the radio wasn't working. Great.

Phoned the mechanic and phoned Mini. Mechanic took the car in on Tuesday and I've received it back today. He's great but can only say there is a leak but they can't find it. They've done a spray test etc, said the roof looks fine and is double lined so it needs to go to Mini who have the expertise. I trust him as he's always been great and didn't charge as he didn't find the fault. Driving away from the mechanic tonight I realised the electrics have got worse - at one point the lights and dashboard lights all flicked off so there's clearly a bigger issue here.

I'm booked in for Mini on Monday however has anyone had this before? Can you help Maurice out as I'm desperate to keep him and fix this but everyone is telling me it's time to say bye! The key symptoms are:

1. Water coming from air vents by rear view mirror
2. Water on dash
3. Heavy water on passenger side only. Drivers side completely dry
4. Radio no longer working and electrics now temperamental.
5. Extreme condensation on leaving card parked.

Please help. Even anything small is really appreciated!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you know if Maurice has had a new windscreen in the past? Sometimes if a replacement hasn't been fitted perfectly then water will get in over time.

I would imagine a hole in the fabric roof would be easy to detect with a spray test.

Also this forum is for the latest F series MINI so also try totalMINI.com or MINI2.com forums for owners of similar aged convertibles.

#6 ·
If the water is coming out of the rear view mirror and there is also water on top of the dash then the water must be coming in from the roof.
I would check the roof seal at the front but also it could be that the roof needs waterproofing. There is is a good chance that it has never been done.

All convertible roofs need treating every couple of years at least.
I have never owned a Mini convertible but have owned a few rag tops and have two at the moment.
I use AutoGlym Cabriolet cleaner and renovator. Comes in a a two pack kit and works very well. Off EBay its less than £20.
As for electrics you will just have to let it dry out and hope there is no permanent damage
If you get a chance leave the roof down all day when not raining especially on the warmer days.
Tracking leaks is notoriously difficult but a way is to stick small pieces out tissue around the car and see which pieces get wet, but you know it must be coming from the above .

#12 ·
Thanks all for your helpful comments and tips!

When I last spoke to mini they did say that the front seal with the roof meeting the windscreen was drying and cracked. They said if it ever needed replaced there is no ability to replace this seal and a new roof is required. A new roof is £1,200 plus VAT and labour they have said.... I'm loathed to pay this given his age but it seems a shame as otherwise he is in pristine condition in and out as he's rarely used.

Does anyone know if you can replace the seal? Mini said it was stitched into the roof?

#16 ·
Ive got exactly the same problem, passenger footwell, it’s soaked.
It’s been in the garage for 4 days, testing it....before that it has had passenger side window adjusted, as mechanic thought it may be that....no....so back into garage for 2nd window adjustment....still soaked, I’ve sat inside with hose pipe being squirted all over, can’t see anything...taken out battery, hosed through debris from trees, not much really......
Downpour last night, soaked again this morning ??? it’s only got 33000 on clock and the roof seems ok...apart from green in places due to this wet problem....The main dealer is booked up until April for another diagnostic check. Trying to find out where water is coming from.
Any advice more than welcome.....????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.