Rear brake pads... Again! - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rear brake pads... Again!

So it's that time again, whereby my rear brake pads are complaining that they're wearing out...

Currently about to hit 22k miles, so the 2nd set have lasted about the same as the first, at 11k a set...
I don't fancy paying Mini £200 for the privilege this time round, so will replace them myself.

Which brings me onto my question - What replacement pads have people used?

Stuck with OEM pads?
Or used after-market? I've used EBC pads on a couple of previous cars and they felt pretty good, so might see if they do a set for the SD...

And I presume the wear sensors just clip out and in when replacing the pads?

Cheers
Gav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Garage
Yes i think the wear sensor just pulls out don't forget to get a new one (if same as r56).when i did my r56 i bought pagid from eurocarparts. Great price and nice feel and quality.def wouldnt buy oem! Overpriced.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Do you not need to reset the service indicator when the pads light comes on? My service indicator is saying a neagtive mileage yet the car was serviced a couple weeks ago, when I took it back they said this was because the rear pads were still showing as needing replacement

F56 JCW - Rebel Green, Chilli Red Roof & Mirrors

post #4 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes think so; not done it on fseries yet but remove sensor (only one) replace pads insert new sensor reset computer-there is a link on here on how it's done-holding the trip meter button and switching ignition on gets you in to the service menu from memory but someone who has done it will correct me if wrong.
PS don't forget the rears are wind in pads, not push back like the fronts-either a wind in tool about £16 from eurocarparts or may be less on ebay, or a clark block that attaches with little prongs to a socket wrench or if you are careful some pointy pliers-but one slip and your dust boot could be toast!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #5 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Was just about to say I'm almost at 12k miles without any brake pad change, then realised BMW replaced mine to rectify squeaky brakes.
jeremybingham likes this.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17
post #6 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did 14k in my cooper (f56) and there was loads of pad material left as measured at its first service- if i remember rightly 1/3 down- 6mm from 9mm so i was expecting around 35k miles before i replaced them-about right i thought!

post #7 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I haven't heard anything good from EBC in regards to the R** series cars so cannot comment if it's the same as the F56.
I also had pagid for the wife's car and never had a problem. Brilliant and cheap.
The brake sensor needs replacing if it gets tripped and the service indicator needs resetting.
Previously, I would check the brakes myself and I tied up the sensor to the strut with cable ties, never need a new one that way as it would never get tripped. And doesn't take much to look through the wheel every now and then.
For previous mini recommendations were, Mintex and ferrodo.
I hope that makes sense and just my personal experience.
jeremybingham likes this.
post #8 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thats a great idea re the sensor Jordan never thought of that!

post #9 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
I'm sure I read somewhere that cruise control uses the rear brakes to maintain speeds!

if you use it a lot it might be the answer or something is sticking!

If mine only does 11,000 miles and need changing I won't be happy..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"
post #10 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that cruise control uses the rear brakes to maintain speeds!
Interesting................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page