7Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Auto Stop/start and no gears

Hi guys

I've just bought a 2016 Cooper.

I love the car but I'm not happy with the stop/start function. Every now and then when the car switches off, it refuses to find any gears when it fires back up again. I worked out that I have to switch everything off, engage first gear and then fire up the car. Once that's done the problem goes again but this can't be right.

I've started switching off the auto function, but wondered if anyone else has had the same or similar problems.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
I can't see a gear selection issue being related to the start/stop function, the manual gearbox is notchy and sometimes difficult to get in to gear but that's just a characteristic of the gearbox.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17
post #3 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Brandon is correct, there should be no connection between difficult gear selection and the stop/start system as far as I know, though I have never used the system so could be wrong.

Have you tried going into second before trying to go into first gear. It used to help in the old days, with or without synchro first gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks guys.

When the problem happens, the gear stick point blank refuses to engage with any gears. I'm not a techy person, so thanks for clearing up the link with the auto start/stop - it must be a coincidence that the problem only happens when that's on.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 03:27 PM
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidge98 View Post
Thanks guys.

When the problem happens, the gear stick point blank refuses to engage with any gears. I'm not a techy person, so thanks for clearing up the link with the auto start/stop - it must be a coincidence that the problem only happens when that's on.
I have had the same issue on my S. What I believe is happening is when the engine spools down, the input shaft to the transmission stops at a point in which the cogs don't line up on two gears. When you depress the clutch to slot it into first, the two gears "collide", preventing the actual shift from happening.

The curiously evil thing about this is that the engine restarts when you press the clutch pedal, which means that any cog mischief cannot be rectified because the transmission is no longer connected to the engine.

The first few times this happened, I freaked out and desperately tried to jam it into gear, any gear. But I eventually figured it out. When it happens all you have to do is put it in neutral and let the clutch out. This causes the misbehaving gears to spin into a new alignment, so when you push the clutch back in again, you can slot the gear with no problem.

Another thing you can do is when you think the light is about to change, turn the steering wheel slightly. This will start the engine, and you can depress the clutch and engage first gear normally. I do this if I think I will need to make a quick getaway from the light.
brandonbardsley likes this.

Last edited by uke; 03-10-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: More info
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Thanks for clearing this up uke, I didn't know the reason but always done what you said, must be my pre sync days on first gear

Have to say the first thing I do after starting the engine is turn off the stop/start!
uke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Thanks for clearing this up uke, I didn't know the reason but always done what you said, must be my pre sync days on first gear

Have to say the first thing I do after starting the engine is turn off the stop/start!
Wow, you remember non-synchromesh? Cool. I had a Land Cruiser like that. Brutal but honest.
Davyboy likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uke View Post
Wow, you remember non-synchromesh? Cool. I had a Land Cruiser like that. Brutal but honest.
You know when reading your fix a couple of posts up I was thinking "that's basically double de-clutching". (That's a UK term, I think USA may call it something else.)
I wonder how many people can do that these days? Or even know what it is
Davyboy likes this.

2016/17 Cooper vert (F57) auto.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Garage
Yep i do,am in my 50's but My grandad told me about it and even though i have never driven a non synchromesh car i made it my mission to learn how to do it. I used it on changing down on hills for smoother shifts. Basically depress clutch ,engage neutral release clutch rev engine to match sleed it will be in next gear then depress clutch and engage lower gear! Handy if your clutch is shot too! Used to do clutchless shifts on our school minibus for the **** of it!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #10 of 17 Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 AM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
You know when reading your fix a couple of posts up I was thinking "that's basically double de-clutching". (That's a UK term, I think USA may call it something else.)
I wonder how many people can do that these days? Or even know what it is
Yes, exactly, We called it "double clutching" back in the day. If you were good at it you could even shift into a non synchro first gear while moving. Organic rev matching. I even rev matched into reverse one time, LOL.

I was talking to my MINI guy. He told me that they never order manual cars for inventory anymore. Even the JCW buyers go with automatic (sad face). The only manual cars they have are the ones traded by enthusiasts like me. They had one loaner a few years back that was manual, and it took about a month for people to burn out the clutch on it. People were baffled by the clutch even though it's mostly flat around here.

I cherish these continuous little interactions with a venerable mechanical device (manual transmission) that is probably, regretfully, fading from view. That's driving. Nothing wrong with the autos, but the driver involvement is so much higher with a manual. Even this strange glitch the thread is discussing is a bit of personality coming from the transmission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page