User Tag List

18Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
ZOMG! Pussyprints!

Okay. I should have expected this, buying a shiny, preciousssss black car. I am the proud human of a lovely black cat named Budapest, who decided he approved of the new MINI and jumped up on the roof to survey the surrounding area for things to kill. (The orange cat, Pumpkin, was nowhere to be seen, no doubt licking his wounds at the demise of his VO MINI in exchange for this annoying black thing).

When Budapuss departed to murder whatever he discovered from up there, I noticed he had left paw prints on the shiny black goodness of the new MINI. Awwww. Then I noticed the skid marks and faceplant marks from his less than graceful attempts to successfully negotiate the climb to the roof across a square meter or so of super slippery Midnight Black Metallic. Doh!

Frantic googling got me a bottle of Detailing In A Can, which works great and eliminated all the pussyprints, plus the booger prints, weird smudges and who knows what else from my clumsy job applying the blackout tape to the MINI's beltline. So disaster averted, for now.

But I live on a dirt road. As much as I want to enjoy the awesome shininess of the new toy, said shininess lasts about 20 feet past the end of my driveway. Being Arizona, I want to safely enclose my MINI in a reflective car cover at work. But before I do that, I need to remove the majority of the 22kg of dust I accumulated this morning before I hit pavement.

I've been using a California Car Duster, but I'm afraid the poor thing resembles a rastafarian with all the former shiny-preserving microfiber goodness caked with a couple of years of AZ sandpaper. So I am seeking alternatives.

One thing I am thinking about is a small portable blower to blast the majority of the dust off the car, followed by a wipe with the latest version of the car duster, followed by the car cover. Hilariously nerdy as that sounds (and I think I can withstand the ribbing from my coworkers driving past me leaf-blowing my car in the company parking lot in the morning), I think that might preserve the shiny finish for a while.

I know this forum is haunted by people who eat, drink and breathe detailing. Before such fine folk bombard me with a panoply of sprays, goops, powders, and Wonder Towels, I'd like to point out that my zeal for detailing drops off rather abruptly after a month or two. As always, I'm primarily concerned with performance over bling. Eventually I will come to terms with the odd cat print and caked on dust. But I'd like to keep the car under cover when the monsoon arrives and it's 750C on a moderate day in Arizona.

So. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Garage
Go back return the black one and buy the white silver with the red roof sitting in the show room.

Or you can buy a used R56 to drive over to the climate controlled U Haul Storage place to pick up your F56.

jeremybingham, uke and KYDan like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.

Last edited by Evlkarl; 03-18-2017 at 06:04 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlkarl View Post
Go back return the black one and buy the white silver with the red roof sitting in the show room.

Or you can buy a used R56 to drive over to the climate controlled U Haul Storage place to pick up your F56.
For a brief moment I reconsidered Pepper White, Very brief.
jeremybingham and Evlkarl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
Keep a good coat of wax on your Black Beauty & just use the duster. Or, keep a bottle of speed shine in the car with microfiber towel to get rid the dust without scratching. I use a blower after washing but a blower won't help much with dust imo. You could blow off heavy dust on the body & wheels, then use speed shine/towel.
uke likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
Keep a good coat of wax on your Black Beauty & just use the duster. Or, keep a bottle of speed shine in the car with microfiber towel to get rid the dust without scratching. I use a blower after washing but a blower won't help much with dust imo. You could blow off heavy dust on the body & wheels, then use speed shine/towel.
Thanks. There is usually a fairly heavy accumulation of dust on the back window, at the bottom. Also the rear bumper, and the grills on the JCW aero trim in back. That's the primary place I was thinking of using a blower, to avoid fouling the new duster. Also, in general, to try and reduce the amount of dust that has to be removed with the detail/microfiber method on the remainder of the car. I know it won't get rid of all the dust, but every bit helps.

I like the idea of a good coat of wax. Apparently the detail-in-a-can stuff (Meguiar's G14422 Ultimate Quik Detailer) will keep the wax in good shape for an extended time. Doesn't seem to have any downside.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
I use a paint brush to dust off the plastic parts on the grill & boot. It also can help with the crap that accumulates at the base of the rear window. MINIs just love to suck up dust on the rear hatch like a magnet! lol!
uke and Evlkarl like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
Uke remember the 1st dust storm is just around the corner so be prepared. My Abarth was black after the 1st Dust Storm I said never again a black in AZ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Evlkarl; 03-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
Holy cow, it looks like something out of an apocalypse movie!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Garage
Dan, sometimes we get the big one. I still found dust a year later in the car.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlkarl View Post
Uke remember the 1st dust storm is just around the corner so be prepared. My Abarth was black after the 1st Dust Storm I said never again a black in AZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KhETm9gvQ
Yeah, good point.

Forget blacking out the JCW. Maybe I should shrink-wrap it instead.
Evlkarl and KYDan like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page