Variable Damper Control....Is it all that? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Cool Variable Damper Control....Is it all that?

Hi I was looking for people's advice. I am debating whether to opt for the VDC at £375 on a Non S Cooper Petrol with 17 inch Cone Spoke Non Run flat wheels.
Is it a bit of a gimmick or do you really notice the difference? At £375 it is not super expensive but when you add everything else you finally have to say no to some options and prioritise.
I have a basic cooper d at the mo with 15 inch wheels so would the VDC on 17 inch on UK roads really improve the softness or/and tighten things up when i want? I had a loan cooper with 17inch wheels with no VDC and to be fair couldnt tell if it was any harsher than my current 15 inch. I like the idea of the VDC but as I said, around £11 to a monthly business lease, is it worth is over 2 years?
Look forward to hearing your views.
Regards Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
I can't speak to the condition of UK roads, but I drove my non-VDC, MCS with Sport Suspension and 17" rims on a bumpy dirt road for 3 years. Granted, I didn't drive very fast, but even at speed on the roads in town I rarely encountered a bump that threatened my fillings.

Do you value performance over comfort? If so I would avoid the VDC option. From what I've heard, at the firmest setting it's not as firm as the non VDC option, so you'll give up a little on the handling side. (forum please correct me if I am mistaken on that).

Even if you value comfort, my personal feeling is that the ride is not that bad with the 17" runflats. But I apparently have a harder butt than most people in this forum. And I'm a performance guy. I like stiff cars and gladly put up with a harder ride to get the improved handling.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uke View Post
I can't speak to the condition of UK roads, but I drove my non-VDC, MCS with Sport Suspension and 17" rims on a bumpy dirt road for 3 years. Granted, I didn't drive very fast, but even at speed on the roads in town I rarely encountered a bump that threatened my fillings.

Do you value performance over comfort? If so I would avoid the VDC option. From what I've heard, at the firmest setting it's not as firm as the non VDC option, so you'll give up a little on the handling side. (forum please correct me if I am mistaken on that).

Even if you value comfort, my personal feeling is that the ride is not that bad with the 17" runflats. But I apparently have a harder butt than most people in this forum. And I'm a performance guy. I like stiff cars and gladly put up with a harder ride to get the improved handling.
Uke, I believe you are mixing things up a bit. DDC (e.g. VDC) on a Cooper with standard suspension will benefit from DDC for a more sporty ride in sport mode since the DDC will tighten up the suspension. It's different than adding DDC to a JCW that comes standard with the firm sport suspension (where DDC is not as stiff in sport mode). In the USA you can no longer get the sport suspension on anything but the JCW.
uke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I think the Cooper with standard setup, on 17" non-RF will feel lovely. Our UK roads are a bit winter-battered just now, but generally they're mostly serviceable! I have a JCW on 18" RFs and I wouldn't want it softer at any time. Remember long trips are usually motorway which are pretty smooth in the UK.

My advice; you don't need the VDC. If you have a bit of cash, spend it on something that will make a difference, like LEDs, or HK (ok that's a luxury!) Leave the chassis set up as intended. It's a MINI and should feel like one.
uke likes this.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
Uke, I believe you are mixing things up a bit. DDC (e.g. VDC) on a Cooper with standard suspension will benefit from DDC for a more sporty ride in sport mode since the DDC will tighten up the suspension. It's different than adding DDC to a JCW that comes standard with the firm sport suspension (where DDC is not as stiff in sport mode). In the USA you can no longer get the sport suspension on anything but the JCW.
Ah yes good point O2, and Phil did mention stiffening things up... I didn't realise it might improve the handling on the Cooper. I guess you'll have to try and find one to drive Phil, to compare for real! Good luck :-)
uke likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Going to go for the chilli and media XL tech pack so yes I think its not looking like I need or want the VDC.
Thanks for everyone's views so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIkiter View Post
I think the Cooper with standard setup, on 17" non-RF will feel lovely. Our UK roads are a bit winter-battered just now, but generally they're mostly serviceable! I have a JCW on 18" RFs and I wouldn't want it softer at any time. Remember long trips are usually motorway which are pretty smooth in the UK.

My advice; you don't need the VDC. If you have a bit of cash, spend it on something that will make a difference, like LEDs, or HK (ok that's a luxury!) Leave the chassis set up as intended. It's a MINI and should feel like one.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIkiter View Post

Well put. I would add that the suspension can always be improved without VDC; with VDC, it can be problematic (e.g. coilover kits may be impossible to fit, or cost a lot more, or throw a code if you disconnect the VDC circuit).
post #9 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
My personal opinion is that the DDC/VDC is a solid option unless you are looking for a track day car. I ordered it on my JCW because it is much better for day-to-day normal driving. If you want to improve handling, you can always add sway bars to stiffen things up without destroying the ride. Also, there are spring options (NM and H&R) that will work with the DDC/VDC.
uke likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
VDC is around 10% softer in Eco/Middle setting and 10% stiffer in Sport mode compared to the std. Cooper S suspension.

The optional Sport suspension (region specific) is around 30% stiffer than the std. Cooper S suspension.

I had VDC on my Cooper S and it does an OK job between comfort and sportiness and would be worth it if roads on your regular journey are not so smooth and you prefer a more supple ride.
uke likes this.

MCS Pepper White | JCW Tuning & Brake Kit | JB4 | KW v1 | Forge SS | Enkei | 498 Race Spoke | Michelin SS | Chilli Pack | Lounge Leather w/heating | VDC | HeadUp | HK | V Boost | Chrome Line | Heated Screen | PDC etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page