F56 Brake Pad Wear - Sensor Scam? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
F56 Brake Pad Wear - Sensor Scam?

Can't see much about this online so posting here. Anyone else experienced this?

I was 48 hours before my service is due on my 2015 Mini One F56 I get a Brake Pad Warning Indicator on my dash. My car has only done 14,000 miles and I drive slowly and carefully.

I contact the Mini Dealership doing the servicing and they quote me a price of £260 to replace the front pads. I laugh loudly and kindly refuse. On my way to work this morning I pop into a local franchise (Not Kwik Fit) and they quote me £160 for OEM parts and fitting which I agree to.

Just had the work done and the mechanic tells me that the Brake Pad Warning Indicator is now flagging up the rear pads. Whilst the car was still on the ramp he shows me them and they have 7mm-8mm of wear left, he said no way he would change them and they are good for another 14000 miles.

Having read this thread I am now convinced it's either a faulty sensor or a scam?

Anyone else had any issues?

My car is going in tomorrow to get it's service and I am curious to see what they will say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
Strange perhaps the sensor wasn't correctly placed or was knocked closer to the pad hence it wore faster?

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Garage
From what I have read on here the rear pads sensor seems to flag up a warning before the front one and there is still plenty "meat" left on both sets.

Did the fronts actually need to be replaced or did they assume the fronts would be worn out first which used to be the norm?

With these large distances between services these sensors seem to flag up premature warnings these days.
jeremybingham likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

The mechanic said they (the front) had 3mm on them but he replaced them anyway. Sure that's normal.

This is my back pad I posted a photo of. The other side has more pad showing. 7-8mm.

Can I claim a fault in the rear sensor??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170328-164755_1490720621594.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	50745  
post #5 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Don't know if its just the photo but the disc looks scored?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"
post #6 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

They are smooth and even. It's just coloured rings. I've had them checked. Will report back tomorrow after I've take the car in.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got the same warning on my car. Checked my front and they had some pad left. But the sensor was not touched. Then I looked at the back, and they had more pad left then in the front, but my sensor was touched by the rotor. It seems like mini put the sensor closer in the back then in the back.. idk why.. i think it should be opposite.. but I'm not gonna fight. I bought the full set of brakes for $120, I'll install them myself and be happy for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
My daughters 2015 Mini Cooper D got no warning at all and rear brakes started making a grinding noise...

Got her to get them checked out at Mini dealer and was told it needed new rear pads and discs at a cost of £440!!

I complained how there was no warning and the mechanic just said the warning is only an estimate anyhow... I managed to get it negotiated down to £340 but still not happy how there was no warning before it was metal on metal and damaging the discs in the process... Car had done 34k miles

MCS Pepper White | JCW Tuning & Brake Kit | JB4 | KW v1 | Forge SS | Enkei | 498 Race Spoke | Michelin SS | Chilli Pack | Lounge Leather w/heating | VDC | HeadUp | HK | V Boost | Chrome Line | Heated Screen | PDC etc..
post #9 of 34 Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Garage
In 34K miles they must have done at least one TLC type service which although it is basically an oil/filter change. I thought they were supposed to check the state of brake pad wear as one of the "health and safety" things that they do as a matter of course.

They should have noticed the pads were getting marginal and reported it..unless they, lazily, use the excuse "if the warning light ain't on then all's well".

I would have expected to have to change pads before 34k miles and they should not rely on sensors to obviate the need for a proper visual inspection.
jeremybingham likes this.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
I agree Johnan every time we visit mini we get the depth in three places of tread on every tyre, and thickness if each pad!
johnan likes this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page