What tires did your Mini come with? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What tires did your Mini come with?

I ordered a Mini with the 17" Black Cosmos rims and all season tires. I am still waiting for the car to come in and I was wondering what tires people got with their Minis. The salesperson said they will come with Continentals but I don't believe him because he has been full of crap. The Minis in my area seem to be equipped with Hankook Optimos, which in my experience, are absolute crap. I specifically told him I don't want Hankook and he said not to worry because the all seasons are Continentals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannespaul View Post
I ordered a Mini with the 17" Black Cosmos rims and all season tires. I am still waiting for the car to come in and I was wondering what tires people got with their Minis. The salesperson said they will come with Continentals but I don't believe him because he has been full of crap. The Minis in my area seem to be equipped with Hankook Optimos, which in my experience, are absolute crap. I specifically told him I don't want Hankook and he said not to worry because the all seasons are Continentals.
Hi,
My cooper s came with Hankook run flats , which were horrible. Immediately swapped them out to tubeless yoko's.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
My f56 2014 came with Dunlop sportmaxxrt ,lovely quiet tyre but a bit wet grip lacking i felt. Our clubby comes with bridgestone 18" runflats) .love them so far even though the press don't seem to. Our r series roadster has continental sport contact 5's also superb,won me over after i had a bad experience with contis,they all just cracked after a few years .apparently they were recalled but ours was too old!

Basically i think you're right about your dealer. They change supplier like the wind at the factory according to who gives the better deals so he really can't know but may be guessing on past experience. Hope for you he is right but you could also get lucky and get michellins or pirelli,as i know some have them! I've always really liked hankooks. We have their winter tyres. Great (icept) and the evo gets great reviews so don't write them off! They've really made an effort and are now up there with the best and in some cases better.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

Last edited by jeremybingham; 04-05-2017 at 01:59 AM.

post #4 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsurd View Post
Hi,
My cooper s came with Hankook run flats , which were horrible. Immediately swapped them out to tubeless yoko's.

I am kind of figuring that they will slap Hankooks on. My Volkswagen Jetta came with Optimos and the sidewall on the inside cracked on all tires. The guy at Discount Tire said if I didn't get a flat from a nail, those tires would have eventually shredded. If they slap Hankooks on, they can knock the cost of a set of Michelin Premier A/S's off the car.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't panic yet you never know. Check out evo mag and auto express for tyre reviews too!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #6 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannespaul View Post
I am kind of figuring that they will slap Hankooks on. My Volkswagen Jetta came with Optimos and the sidewall on the inside cracked on all tires. The guy at Discount Tire said if I didn't get a flat from a nail, those tires would have eventually shredded. If they slap Hankooks on, they can knock the cost of a set of Michelin Premier A/S's off the car.
I've only had hankooks on the mini, and purely from personal experience the grip and ride are below par when compared to tyres in the same price range. Better to swap as early as possible so as to get the best price knocked off your next set.
Cheers...

jeremybingham likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybingham View Post
My f56 2014 came with Dunlop sportmaxxrt ,lovely quiet tyre but a bit wet grip lacking i felt. Our clubby comes with bridgestone 18" runflats) .love them so far even though the press don't seem to. Our r series roadster has continental sport contact 5's also superb,won me over after i had a bad experience with contis,they all just cracked after a few years .apparently they were recalled but ours was too old!

Basically i think you're right about your dealer. They change supplier like the wind at the factory according to who gives the better deals so he really can't know but may be guessing on past experience. Hope for you he is right but you could also get lucky and get michellins or pirelli,as i know some have them! I've always really liked hankooks. We have their winter tyres. Great (icept) and the evo gets great reviews so don't write them off! They've really made an effort and are now up there with the best and in some cases better.
I wouldn't mind Bridgestone or Pirelli. My brother had Dunlop and he always complained about them being too loud and not having the best traction. He liked the Continentals his Focus came with but decided they where too expensive when it came time to change his tires so he got the Dunlops. I replaced the Optimos on my Jetta with Michelin Premier A/S and I love those tires. They are like riding on a cloud, very quiet, offer fantastic feedback and offer fantastic traction in all weather conditions. My brother liked them so much he decided to splurge on a set to replace his Dunlops.

Everyone I know complains about Hankook Optimos. The Optimos were just awful. They were loud, had poor traction and offered poor feedback. The cracking on the inside firewalls didn't help their cause. I have heard the upper Hankooks are pretty respectable but I am afraid to try them since Michelin has always served me well.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Optimo-4S.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...4s-tyre-review

As you say bit of a mixed bag!

post #9 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have the 17" Cosmos and it came with the Hankook Optimo Runflats. Looking at Dunlop when these wear out. They are not really a bad tire but I have nothing to compare them to. Ride quality seems to be good, we will see how they wear. Will not replace with Runflats, I have a Cooper with a spare.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My F57 with 17" Cosmos wheels has Michelin Primacy 3 tyres. However the convertibles are built in Holland I believe, so the supply chain may be different from Oxford cars.
They may also fit different rubber depending on the destination country as type approvals may affect what is acceptable. (From the spelling of tyre/tire I guess the OP is in North America.)

2016/17 Cooper vert (F57) auto.

Last edited by dpmike; 04-05-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page