• 1 Post By Evlkarl

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brake Pad Change Cooper 2015 - 10k

Hi All

First post so be kind!!!!

I am posting on behalf of my wife as it is her Mini Cooper I am talking about!!

Just got it back today from the dealers after first service/Quality Enhancement and they have stated the rear pads are at 4mm and front at 6mm, and they recommend a change at 3mm. The car has 10,000 on it from new, and I did comment that this seems low mileage to the service guy and he said "it depends on the driving" which I do understand but I think 10,000 is a little low!!

To replace front and rear pads (not discs) just the pads the dealership wants £460 so I am looking elsewhere and I think with the help of my dad we will do these ourselves. Will pick up some pads (even the more expensive ones) and it will be way cheaper than what Mini want.

What I need to know is are there are any special tools required (especially for the rears) to change the pads - thinking here about winding the calipers back to replace the pads - I had this issue on my Mondeo so wanting to check if there are any extra tools required to change these??

Any guidance would be appreciated!!!

Cheers

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
Matt welcome to the forum. Normally I have my brakes done at an Indy Shop because I do not like to mess with brakes. For OEM Pads here in the states is about $ 250.00 2 hours of Labor so the price they quoted you is about right. If I remember correctly you need no special tools( I watched my Indy Shop doing it) just make sure to be extra careful when you jack up the car so you don,t damage anything underneath and of course use jack stand for safety. Good Luck.
uke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
Easy job to do yourself, undo the bottom bolt swing the caliper up or undo both and take caliper off (first pull out the sensor) clean things up ,wind in the calliper(rears ) by turning them clockwise,you can buy a tool for this or v carefully using blunt pliers ,push in the calliper,fronts(i use a clamp and wood), pop the new pads in , route the sensor, only one on one side only replace the caliper and tighten the bolts! Check fluid level as it will raise,mechanic told me when winding its best to release the bleed nut and hence release the fluid rather than let it back up as dirty old fluid can damage the abs pump!

Never try to push in the rear pistons!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheers both!!!

Thanks for the advice. May try to source the tool to wind the calipers, but if it can be done without then at least I know it can be done!

Luckily my dad has years of messing with all his cars - he was a qualified mechanic (but he is now 74 but still resents paying garages!!! ) so if we can do the job ourselves we will do it!!!

Its probably dead obvious, but Jeremy any idea what the tool is called (will google to see!)

Cheers

:-)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2015 cooper d was recently in mini for warranty work they said on complimentary health check that brakes are 8mm front and 6 mm rear with 18,500 miles on so does seem very quick to have gone down in 10,000 miles.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
I'm sure there was a thread about this recently!

The rears are used for controlling speed when using cruise control and for stability if driving a bit spiritedly shall with say

Also hill assist so they do get a fair bit of wear!

BTW welcome along

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life's too short not to!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page