Cooper D vs One D - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 4 Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cooper D vs One D

as my Mini Cooper d was recently in the garage having rear shock absorbers +seat base replaced I had a Mini one d as a courtesy car.

One thing that I noticed Is that the clutch feel is quite dramatically different compared to my cooper, the clutch the clutch in my cooper feeling significantly lighter to press than that in the one d.

I also noticed that I was able to pull off smoother and change in to second gear much smoother than in my cooper, is this the case for all coopers? I am asking as while my car was in for the warranty work I asked for them to test drive the car to see and was told that the difference is due to the different models of car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas James Slaughter View Post
as my Mini Cooper d was recently in the garage having rear shock absorbers +seat base replaced I had a Mini one d as a courtesy car.

One thing that I noticed Is that the clutch feel is quite dramatically different compared to my cooper, the clutch the clutch in my cooper feeling significantly lighter to press than that in the one d.

I also noticed that I was able to pull off smoother and change in to second gear much smoother than in my cooper, is this the case for all coopers? I am asking as while my car was in for the warranty work I asked for them to test drive the car to see and was told that the difference is due to the different models of car
It's really interesting you mention this. I have driven the clubman cooper D, BMW 116d and Mini one. The clubman cooper D and 116d both have the same engine as the cooper D and I too noticed that you have to be delicate when releasing the clutch to engage gear two. Even more so in the F56 cooper D.
I noticed that the petrol cooper had a much lighter clutch and frankly you could be really uncoordinated and sloppy with the clutch and the drive would be so much smoother than the cooper D.
I don't think it helps that the bite in the cooper D is so low but it is the one thing I dislike about the car. The jerkiness at in first and second at low speeds. Gear changing at low speeds is an art but if you get it right the car propels forwards with a smile.
Strange because the rest of the gears feel so smooth and speed matched?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
I wasn't happy with the clutch feel of my F56 petrol Cooper when I got it, I thought the bite was far to high! That was coming from a R55 JCW. So as I don't trust dealers that much took it to my friendly local independent who only deal with MINI/BMWs and he was explaining it was all to do with the rev matching and there was nothing wrong with it. Since having my mind reassured it's felt fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"

post #4 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to trusting dealers so nice to know that its not just me finding differences between models, another thing I noticed on the mini one was that the rpm in gears was lower e.g. shift indicator in green mod suggests I switch to 4th in my cooper resulting in 1500 rpm whereas mini one in 4th was 1250 rpm approx and not happy at all... would prefer it if the coopers clutch had the same longer travel as the one though as it seems to offer more control to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page