Should I trade in..? Cooper D 60k miles worried about big engine bills - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Should I trade in..? Cooper D 60k miles worried about big engine bills

Hi All

Sorry for a bit of an open question but I was hoping someone could give me guidance on what service costs I'm likely to incur on my Cooper Diesel over the next couple of years to help inform my decision on whether or not to take the hit and upgrade.
I purchased the TLC XL package to take me up to 80,000 miles of servicing and have just passed 60,000 miles.
So far the car is great, I love the fuel economy and have had no problems with it.

But a colleague at work has just sold his (first gen) mini for peanuts having had the timing chain let go at 110k miles on a older style diesel (which I know had some issues with that).

I have a 2014 Cooper Diesel Media XL chili pack.
I'm worried that the car I could sell now for probably just about £10k will give up at 100k miles and I'll be left with selling it for virtually nothing because an engine would be £4-5k plus labour essentially writing the car off.

So I'm weighing up whether to sell it and take the hit of a newer car cost now or run it in to the ground and possibly get like a warranty wise type subscription to take over from the mini warranty that runs out at the end of this year.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this engine? I had expected a diesel engine to be good for a couple of hundred thousand miles but maybe that's optimistic and I need to adjust my thinking.

Any thoughts? I'd be particularly keen to know what service costs are coming up if anyone has a list?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I was offered £8.5K for my 2014 29,000 Cooper D Chili in January with 6 months warranty still left. I tend to buy nearly new and now have a pre reg Clubman. I'd rather stay under warranty and not get too far away from a new car so if you're worried now you will be worried more out of warranty with more miles on the clock.

The 1.5 diesel was new in 2014 i think so its long term durability isn't really known, though 60,000 miles isn't a massive mileage. Its just that when anything goes wrong prices are very expensive in general.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
I was going to say what opal said about trade ins, where did you get £10k from?

Gen3 MINI values are dropping like a brick in water, dealers have yards full of pre reg'd & unreg'd in stock where you can get big discounts so to offer top money for a trade in won't happen!

Personally you have to be prepared to take a hit on yours and then the replacement will also drop!

If you keep then find a good independent to look after you, regular oil changes etc should see you through 100k mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Life's too short not to!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2017, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
No-one has a crystal ball unfortunately orangehenry what is your gut instinct telling you to do? But if you can get £10K for it, take it!!! (I'd be lucky to get that for my pretty-much loaded 14plate Cooper S with only 25K on the clock - was offered £12K as a trade in the other month)

How much longer would you ideally be keeping the Coop for? Do you currently have itchy feet to change out? If so, just do it. But if you've had trouble free motoring this far in then you obviously haven't a lemon like some of us have had so you might as well keep it.

----------------
IT'S HERE.......Team Volcanic Orange
post #5 of 13 Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I agree that the trade in value would be well under £10k currently. We paid £14k a few months ago for a 1 year old 5 door Cooper D with just 7k miles and about £6k of options, from a Mini dealer. My guess would be £8k for the OP's car.

Secondly if the engine fails in such a young car, you are likely to get a very substantial contribution from Mini, so the cost to you would be a lot less, particularly if it has been serviced by Mini.

Thirdly modern engines (diesel in particular) are capable of very high mileages over a shorter period, so your engine has a good chance of going well beyond 100k miles, possibly two or three times that.

Given that you still like the car, and that it is worth less then you imagined, the best option looks like running it and putting the money aside that you would have spent in replacing it to pay for any bills that come along. The same 3 cylinder diesel engine is used in lots of cars including 1,2 and 3 Series BMWs, some of which will cover high mileages, so we would know by now if it had a tendency to fail.
dpmike likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I very much doubt you'd get £10k with 60,000 miles on the clock, unless it's really something special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies.. bit of a shame about the valuation. I was basing it on a private sale (so I shouldn't have said trade in).

I've just had the brake pad service warning this morning, and they warned me last time I'd need discs too this time.. So I guess I'll just keep running it, put some savings aside and hope for good luck on the engine part.

Does anyone have any list of the service requirements, such as timing chains or DPF change? I understand that the type of engine means if the timing chain fails the engines a write off.

Thanks for all your thoughts
post #8 of 13 Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehenry View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.. bit of a shame about the valuation. I was basing it on a private sale (so I shouldn't have said trade in).

I've just had the brake pad service warning this morning, and they warned me last time I'd need discs too this time.. So I guess I'll just keep running it, put some savings aside and hope for good luck on the engine part.

Does anyone have any list of the service requirements, such as timing chains or DPF change? I understand that the type of engine means if the timing chain fails the engines a write off.

Thanks for all your thoughts
Save even more money and do the discs yourself as MINI will be BIG money or get a independent to do them..

"Life's too short not to!!"
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Save even more money and do the discs yourself as MINI will be BIG money or get a independent to do them..

Hi Davyboy

I looked for the discs but couldn't find them.. I also couldn't find anything on youtube by way of a tutorial.
My Dad is very handy with cars, (we restored my Sunbeam Alpine together).

I'm just not sure we'd want to touch modern brakes without any guidance.
So two questions..

1. Where do you get the discs, pads and sensor?
2. Has anyone done a walk through or tutorial that I could watch before we tried it?

Best

Nick
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehenry View Post
Hi Davyboy

I looked for the discs but couldn't find them.. I also couldn't find anything on youtube by way of a tutorial.
My Dad is very handy with cars, (we restored my Sunbeam Alpine together).

1. Where do you get the discs, pads and sensor?
If you are in the UK then I suggest (and I know this may be considered bad form, so apologies up front) go to the "totalMINI" forum. Down the list you'll find a section for their sponsor: Cotswold MINI. Basically you post up what you want and they'll come back with part numbers and prices, usually discounted. Obviously you'll need to register post and I think it took a few days for mine to be approved (done manually to counter spam) and also have a good look at other people's orders to see how it works first. I've only used them once but they were good.

For general interest I don't go to that forum much, it's very weighted to the older cars and this forum is more useful for third gen cars.

2016/17 Cooper vert (F57) auto.

Last edited by dpmike; 05-17-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page