Bluetooth JCW exhaust UK legality/mid term PCP offer query - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 05-14-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Bluetooth JCW exhaust UK legality/mid term PCP offer query

Two relatively unlinked questions, but the other spawned as I was writing it. Sorry.

I was out on a stroll the other day and a Cooper S 210 Works went past with his exhaust in angry mode. I assume this is the same beast as is standard fit on the JCW as well.

It was so loud, I immediately thought "What an a-hole". Without pause, I followed that thought up with "I need one of those..."

I'm fickle and a hypocrite. So sue me.

Anyway, I've had my Cooper S with a standard exhaust for 14 months now, and as is oft the case I'm bored. Whenever I drive it, I appreciate it and find it a very complete car but it doesn't excite me the way it once did when the odd burp and fart on the over-run was enough for me to get my kicks.

So, firstly a question within a question. Who out there is on a PCP with a new Mini and did they get an invitation mid-term to get another motor and was the offer any good.

Secondly, if I get one I quite fancy a 210 Cooper S Works, but I'm ashamed to say for no other reason than the exhaust. Although not street legal on paper, has anyone who currently owns one been ticked off on UK roads about them? If I'm not going to be allowed to use it, or the rozzers get clued up (yeah, right - clued up traffic officers) on the fact it's a bit James Bond in its engagement, it would be a bit of a pointless purchase.

And I know it's a dirty thought round here, but I'm moderately excitable about the 2018 Fiesta ST although residuals might make it more expensive than a Mini.

I know from talking to various people and other dealers I got a killer of a deal on my current car, plus I had a trade-in which I won't have next time so it's ridiculously unlikely I'll get a comparative offer, so maybe they won't bother with a mid-term proposition. Unless anyone else out there has been pleasantly surprised?

My approach to MINI will likely be they can secure my business now for three years with a high spec, very good deal Cooper S 210 with all the whistles and bell I currently have on my boggo MCS, or not appease me and guarantee getting no business in 2018 when I can assure them I will go elsewhere purely as a punishment and am more than happy to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Sorry it's a bit of a stream of consciousness.

F56 Cooper S, Thunder Grey, 17" Tentacle spoke wheels, Manual, Cloth/leather Diamond, Media Pack XL, CHILI, Variable Damper Control, Electric folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, JCW roof spoiler, Chrome line interior, Darkened rear glass, Seat heating, Anthracite headlining, Colour line - glowing red, PDC rear, JCW Steering Wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Vents View Post
My approach to MINI will likely be they can secure my business now for three years with a high spec, very good deal Cooper S 210 with all the whistles and bell I currently have on my boggo MCS, or not appease me and guarantee getting no business in 2018 when I can assure them I will go elsewhere purely as a punishment and am more than happy to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Sorry it's a bit of a stream of consciousness.
No idea on the questions but your honesty is appreciated.
Most people pretend to some logic about buying stuff

2016/17 Cooper vert (F57) auto.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
I've always wondered about the reasoning behind putting a non-road legal exhaust on the 210. I mean, who WON'T want to try it out, at least once!!!??? Not all of us has the opportunity to hoon round a track to appreciate it....

----------------
IT'S HERE.......Team Volcanic Orange
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I had the JCW tuning kit put on my F55 MCS. I am sure you can do the maths to work out if having the kit fitted or upgrading to the 210 is best for you. Kit was the only option for me, because a, the 210 didn't exist at the time, and b, I wanted an F55.

So where can you legally can use it? The simple answer to this is no where. I do track days in my Caterham, and the biggest problem I have is noise. In the Caterham community all attempts are made to make a quiet and light exhaust and intake system as possible. Once you are black flagged for noise at some track days your banned for the rest of the day. 101 db is normally the limit for static tests and 87 drive by which is harder to pass than the static. The rules a tough, I have had cars where you have to spend the days short shifting to keep on the track. The JCW Pro exhaust would fail the drive by when the pops and bangs are introduced in sports mode. How do I know this, find some of the youtube tests of the JCW Challenge being tested/reviewed at Donnington, not the most strict track in the UK, where they where asked to keep the flap closed.

The noise (in some situations) is above the limit set for the type approval for the car. I think this is 99 db static, well that is the case for IVA testing in UK but it might be more stringent. Therefore the car is not approved for the road with that exhaust open. That said all VW EA189 Diesel engine cars are also not type approved, because they cheated on the test, but they still drive around.

Hence the simple answer is you can't use it anywhere.

Would I buy it again, yes 100%, can't imagine driving my MCS without it. Is it money well spent, yes 100%, if having a smile on my face each time I drive is my payback. Also my MCS was good before, but now it feels alive, not held back. Do I use it, yes almost every time I drive my car. Why?

I am guessing the noise is only over the limit when it pops and bangs in sport mode, and you flatten the throttle and back off. If you drive like that near the rozzers then you deserve what you get. I have driven past police cars with the flap open no problem, but I can guarantee you I was in MID when I did it, and being light footed. Also I am mindful of when and where I use it. Late at night in built up areas, is a no no for me, dual carriage ways are fair game.

Buy it you won't regret it
donnaj1dlh likes this.

Last edited by Blat7Chris; 05-15-2017 at 06:20 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Who's offering the cheapest deals to supply/fit the JCB Pro?
post #6 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Had my kit fitted last week. 100% wouldn't go back now, really finishes off the car, the small power gain helps as well. Worth every penny.
donnaj1dlh likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnb1996 View Post
Had my kit fitted last week. 100% wouldn't go back now, really finishes off the car, the small power gain helps as well. Worth every penny.

Can I be cheeky and ask how much that cost? Is it worth justifying the extra £000s for JCW or just stick with another S and tinker with it???

----------------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM

Garage
..... on a +ve note ..... my current spare winter alloys would still fit - they won't fit a JCW!

----------------
post #9 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaj1dlh View Post
Can I be cheeky and ask how much that cost? Is it worth justifying the extra £000s for JCW or just stick with another S and tinker with it???
I'm quite lucky as I work in the motor trade for a dealer group with a Mini franchise I managed to get a good deal on it. However even with the discount I got I still would pay full price for the kit. Really worth it. Where are you based?
post #10 of 22 Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnb1996 View Post
I'm quite lucky as I work in the motor trade for a dealer group with a Mini franchise I managed to get a good deal on it. However even with the discount I got I still would pay full price for the kit. Really worth it. Where are you based?

Aberdeen

I just configured a new JCW hatch ..... £30,200 ..... that'll be a big fat NO then!!!

----------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page