User Tag List

94Likes

post #1 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Automatic or manual - opinions please

All,

I've only driven the manual MCS (which was great), but since my commute to work is fairly stop start, O would like the comfort of the autobox with the option of manual paddle shift if required (I had an s-tronic TT briefly, and it was great). The videos of the auto look good and the exhaust "burp" is exciting too, but I've read a couple of reviews that advise to stay away from the auto?

From here - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html

"Avoid the automatic gearbox, though. It’s slow to respond to manual over-rides and defaults to changing up as soon as possible in ‘Drive’, or trying to buzz the engine if switched to ‘Sport’. The manual box is definitely the one to have."

Certainly sounds quick enough to me on the following vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVtjngI5v44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZoqu90OknQ

Also, the 0-60 time is quicker than the manual, so it can't be that slow to respond?

Help a bro out with a decision!

Last edited by Big G; 05-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
It's a much improved version of the automatic transmission that was used in the second generation, however it is worth noting that an 8 or 9 speed is likely to become available in the next eighteen months. From a purist perspective one could argue that a manual is more fun than an auto, but if you previously driven automatics and are considering this again on the basis of stop start traffic, then it sounds like that would be a good direction to go. Several on here have praised the auto box and you have the performance and economy benefits. :-)
post #3 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Hat

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Garage
I was in a very similar place and was lucky enough to get to test drive both a manual and auto S. My overall impression is that the auto box takes absolutely none of the fun and excitement out of driving the car. You have the best of both worlds in effect; full auto or semi auto with the paddles, plus sport mode which does a great job of holding onto the revs and maximising the engine torque. This is in addition to the sport mode for the overall ride, giving you sport-sport mode! The auto also gets the JCW steering wheel with red stitching and matching gear lever gaitor as standard. The S gets a slightly improved mapping to the Cooper auto as well. And you get 'launch control'

After trying both, and being faced with that daily stop-start commute, ive ordered the auto
Big G, cosmic68, Kurosh and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
The guy on the factory tour mentioned a "ZF" automatic gearbox. I have no idea what that means!
post #5 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
ZF is a manufacturer of transmissions. I understood the current auto is supplied by Aisin, the next 8/9 speed auto will be ZF sourced.
Hovebiker likes this.
post #6 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I really liked the auto in the test drive
G0G0BIG likes this.
post #7 of 123 Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM
ZeH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face Automatic!

Automatic for sure! I've the F56 MCS and the automatic gearbox is pretty fantastic: fast, smart, uses GPS to shift down when approaching bends or roundabouts. No need for manual at all. Period. I've also a Mercedes E350 Bluetec with the new 9G-tronic, and I prefer the 6 speed of my MCS, by far. Really surprising.
post #8 of 123 Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Hat

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeH View Post
Automatic for sure! I've the F56 MCS and the automatic gearbox is pretty fantastic: fast, smart, uses GPS to shift down when approaching bends or roundabouts. No need for manual at all. Period. I've also a Mercedes E350 Bluetec with the new 9G-tronic, and I prefer the 6 speed of my MCS, by far. Really surprising.
Worth pointing out the GPS trick only works if you have sat nav
ZeH and G0G0BIG like this.
post #9 of 123 Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Manual for sure unless mini changes to BMW's 8 speed which is fantastic in sports mode.
post #10 of 123 Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage
I think with automatic you get the coasting function in the green driving mode... it sounds like it automatically decouples the engine from the wheels if you're not changing speed.

Just from reading the brochure...

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page