User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Order Tracking - 2017 F56 JCW

Now I'm excited ... I have a build date of 20 Apr 2017, so it's finally alive. Now for the fun of tracking it through the system until delivery.

I typed the VIN into the bimmer.work site and there it was in detail and in pictures. Really cool site! You can type in the last 7 digits of any MINI/BMW VIN and it will give you a lot of info on the car.

I was surprised, but not disappointed, to learn that the production plant is Born, NL. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised since I lived near there (Brunssum) for three years in the 1990's.

I had read that JCWs were being built at the Oxford plant, so I decided to do a bit of research. I pulled VINs from used cars at the nearest dealer and, surprisingly, starting in 2015, all of the 2- and 4-door hatch cars were built in Born, same for the 2016 cars, and all of the new cars (including 4 JCWs). From my limited research, about 20 cars, it seems that much, if not all, of the US-bound production has been shifted to the NL.

Now I get to track the progress of the car as it moves through the production, transportation, processing and delivery cycle. I was pretty patient before, but now I getting really excited since I know it's real!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
My 2015 JCW was built at the Oxford plant....I tracked it all the way to the USA port.
post #3 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Could be that the JCW production moved more recently. Same with the F57 ... the earlier ones seemed to be built at Oxford ... the later ones at Born.

It's interesting to take VINs and see where they were built and when. Like I said, based on my limited research, it appears the US-bound cars are coming from the NL ... not a bad thing in my mind, especially in light of the strikes in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 PM
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
My 2017 JCW was born in Oxford.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe so, but according to BMW/MINI, mine is from the NL. I assume you checked the bimmer.work site .... it really seems that most of the US-bound production is done there.

BTW ... the Owners site assures me the car is being built in Oxford, even though the video lin doesn't work.
post #6 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtowell View Post
Maybe so, but according to BMW/MINI, mine is from the NL. I assume you checked the bimmer.work site .... it really seems that most of the US-bound production is done there.

BTW ... the Owners site assures me the car is being built in Oxford, even though the video lin doesn't work.
Does the last 7 digits of your vin start with a "3"? "3" is Born, "2" and "T" are Oxford. JCWs tend to be "T".

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #7 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also ... I ran some VINs prior to and after mine and all showed production at the Born facility. I may be wrong, but it really does look lke the US-bound cars are being shifted to the Born, NL plant.

Guess that means I shouldn't put a Union Jack on the car.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Does the last 7 digits of your vin start with a "3"? "3" is Born, "2" and "T" are Oxford. JCWs tend to be "T".
I am aware of the posts prior regarding this, but that's not what the BMW site is reflecting. Possibly the bimmer.work site is incorrect, but sure would be nice if BMW/MINI could confirm. All "T" cars that I looked up are shown as built in Oxford, so no issue with that. All of the later JCWs, including four at the nearest dealership are "2" cars. All of the cars with "2" numbers I entered (2015-2017) show Born as the production facility. Mine is a "2" car.

Quite frankly, given the labor issues, I hope mine is built at Born.
post #9 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 PM
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtowell View Post

I did check the BMW site, but more to the point I watched the car get loaded onto the ship at Southampton (via the WW site). No doubt whatsoever it was Oxford.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll be watching mine as well and will keep all posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page