User Tag List

49Likes

post #1 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
2016 Mini Cooper Fuel Economy

Ok so Mini state that combined is 62mpg...

I know this is never what you 'actually' get from a car, but in previous cars I've always been closer than I am in the Mini.

After 500+ miles I'm getting 37.7mpg which is mostly driven in mid mode.

Does it get better over time? If so, how?

Or is this as good as it gets!? And if so, where on earth do Mini get their numbers from? VW?!

2016 Mini Cooper in Midnight Black | Leicestershire, UK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjblyth View Post
Ok so Mini state that combined is 62mpg...

I know this is never what you 'actually' get from a car, but in previous cars I've always been closer than I am in the Mini.

After 500+ miles I'm getting 37.7mpg which is mostly driven in mid mode.

Does it get better over time? If so, how?

Or is this as good as it gets!? And if so, where on earth do Mini get their numbers from? VW?!
After being on this forum for some time and knowing a few people that have Cooper's, the census I have of that engine is that you are able to get close to the claimed if you drive like a grandad. Whereas the Cooper D is far superior in terms of you don't really have to try hard to get it to average over 50mpg around town. You had to try your hardest or at least for me to get it below 50mpg, I feel like I'd still have gotten over 40mpg driving it round in first gear it was that good.

I only ever came close to the claimed 80+mpg (my previous Cooper D) when I went to my friend's caravan in Wales... I drove the 80 mile trip at 56mph cruise with air conditioning and got 70mpg.

To answer your question as I have just rambled, your car will get better but it will never be amazing around town cause at the end of the day its petrol - I'd say getting almost 40mpg is pretty good for a petrol as I don't think I ever got 40mpg in my Smart Car.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17

Last edited by brandonbardsley; 01-02-2016 at 05:52 AM.
post #3 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers Brandon.

It's a little frustrating - as my 2004 Cooper did about 35mpg, so the technology in 12 years has only given me +3mpg at best (as it stands).

I didn't buy it to be an eco beast, else of course I'd have chosen Diesel - I'm just more intrigued as to why it's performance isn't as good as claimed, or as some other small cars.

Work's pool car which I've driven a few times is a 1.0 petrol Ford Fiesta Titanium EcoBoost and it's a WONDERFUL little car which gets above 60mpg every time. I know this is obviously a lower powered engine, but interesting that the supreme German engineering hasn't moved on economical performance in the time since my '04 Cooper in the way that Ford have managed.

What's also interesting is I get away with a £20 tax bracket when my old Mini was £100 more than that for same fuel economy! Again, no complaints from me on that one!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjblyth View Post
Cheers Brandon.

It's a little frustrating - as my 2004 Cooper did about 35mpg, so the technology in 12 years has only given me +3mpg at best (as it stands).

I didn't buy it to be an eco beast, else of course I'd have chosen Diesel - I'm just more intrigued as to why it's performance isn't as good as claimed, or as some other small cars.

Work's pool car which I've driven a few times is a 1.0 petrol Ford Fiesta Titanium EcoBoost and it's a WONDERFUL little car which gets above 60mpg every time. I know this is obviously a lower powered engine, but interesting that the supreme German engineering hasn't moved on economical performance in the time since my '04 Cooper in the way that Ford have managed.

What's also interesting is I get away with a £20 tax bracket when my old Mini was £100 more than that for same fuel economy! Again, no complaints from me on that one!!
At the end of the day you've just said it... You didn't buy it to be economical, so if anything you can't complain at 40mpg.

It will get better as the car gains miles and loosens up a bit, I'm only averaging 38mpg at the minute in my Cooper SD... Not going to lie a little bit like "please get better", but I'm sure it will with time as my Cooper D did.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17
post #5 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Is all your driving in town? Mine's a mixture of open road and town driving for my daily commute, and I get 48.7 indicated all day long, just had its first service at 22k. That's a 2014 petrol cooper on 16 victory spokes
post #6 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswagon View Post
Is all your driving in town? Mine's a mixture of open road and town driving for my daily commute, and I get 48.7 indicated all day long, just had its first service at 22k. That's a 2014 petrol cooper on 16 victory spokes
No it's quite a good mixture, I did 120 of my 500 miles driving it home down the motorway and A50. Since getting it home it's been town and A road driving really.

That sounds a much nicer figure so hopefully when it beds in over time it will get up there!

I'm also on 16" victory spokes - and now using only Tesco Momentum fuel (99 RON)

post #7 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I don't think the fuel economy of modern cars gets significantly better with being 'run-in' - that may have been true in the past, when tolerances were much higher than today and 'running-in' meant a hot smell from the engine as under/over-sized bearings were worn to a better fit by friction.

I also think that there is no way to remove the effect of our driving habits changing as we get used to a new car - "Oh, but I always drive the same" just means we don't notice the changes.

Official fuel economy figures are for when you are driving like a saint - I think many people enjoy driving Minis and so saintly behaviour is unlikely to occur. Are cars with good real life fuel economy figures just boring cars that aren't fun to drive?
brandonbardsley and bjblyth like this.
post #8 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angib View Post
I don't think the fuel economy of modern cars gets significantly better with being 'run-in' - that may have been true in the past, when tolerances were much higher than today and 'running-in' meant a hot smell from the engine as under/over-sized bearings were worn to a better fit by friction.

I also think that there is no way to remove the effect of our driving habits changing as we get used to a new car - "Oh, but I always drive the same" just means we don't notice the changes.

Official fuel economy figures are for when you are driving like a saint - I think many people enjoy driving Minis and so saintly behaviour is unlikely to occur. Are cars with good real life fuel economy figures just boring cars that aren't fun to drive?
Agreed but I do think it gets better with time, may not be as dramatic as in the past but it must have some effect.

post #9 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
In recent years, I have learnt to speak fluent nerdish and so have kept a spreadsheet record of every tankful that's gone into my two Minis, shown below. You can see that my work driving is pretty varied and sometimes I 'have' to drive along deserted high speed rural roads that other drivers and motorcyclists make a special trip to drive on (my job is h*ll, I tell you....) which is why some tankfuls get a high mpg and other get a low one.

The effect that is most noticeable is that when I was enjoying a fun road in my R57 petrol Cooper, the loss of fuel economy was far greater than in my R59 SD. However I did once use the trip computer in the SD to record worse than 30mpg over a distance of about 50 miles of banzai nutter driving.

For anyone who wants to say how much wider tyres lose fuel economy, the switch from 175 to 195 tyres on the R57 occurred at 17,000 miles, but are complicated by using 195 summers and 175 winters.....

Incidentally, the red line of cumulative mpg in the R59 appears to drift gently upwards, suggesting maybe a 1mpg improvement over time but a linear regression line to the mpg of individual tankfuls is actually slightly downward (ie, fractionally worse mpg over time).

Averages over the lifetime of my ownership are:
- R57 : 38.4 mpg over 50,000 miles
- R59 : 47.8 mpg over 42,000 miles (so far)

I don't reckon 9.4 mpg extra from the diesel has been worth it, so I'm going back to petrol when the F57 comes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r57-economy.JPG
Views:	2146
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	31961   Click image for larger version

Name:	r59-economy2.JPG
Views:	2154
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	31977  
brandonbardsley likes this.

Last edited by Angib; 01-02-2016 at 07:49 AM.
post #10 of 79 Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
You should get more than 37mpg but, are your tyre pressures ok or if anything just a bit higher than recommended .you'll get more in the summer as car warms up faster and more from narrower tyres.are y you believing the car. Check it yourself from odometer and a calculator. Sort of driving has huge impact short journeys kill it is less than 20 miles and of course traffic. Aircon drops mpg too.

My Cooper does: worst ever 38 by trying hard to thrash it ie drive it always like you stole it, averaging 44 for the rest of the time .this is a mix of mainly short journeys on busy but.never stopped a roads with a decent run occasionally and sensible driving ie always at limit with occasional bits of fun.long gentle journeys ie 60mph max and I can get 48 49. Quite easily.don't forget this car does 0_60 in 7.9 s. Much quicker than your r56 cooper!
brandonbardsley and bjblyth like this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page