User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
My clear coat is missing

Got out of the car today and found this on my drivers door. For some weird reason my clear coat is missing. I know I did not hit anything or got hit and since my Mini was dirty for the last 7+ days I really did not see anything that bubbled up.

Sorry for the bad pics but it is really hard to take pics of clear coat during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1570.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	50954   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1569.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	50962  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you sure it isn't tree sap?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tried to rub it out did not come off and when you go over with your finger it feels like the paint is rough underneath and on the edge it looks and feels like the clear coat is missing. I will inspect it a little further tomorrow with one of them lamps from a Body Shop to see what is going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
Oh heck thats not sounding promising!
Evlkarl likes this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Jeremy I do have to agree with you on that one. I do not know what it is that every time I buy a new car and try to keep looking good I become the target of stoves falling of the truck tires exploding around me and stones come towards my windshield the size of IBIZA... I am really thinking hard about having the Mini wrapped in one of them "Instant Southwest Rust Colors".

I bet you if I buy a new Mini it will have battle scars again with in the 1st 1000 Miles.
jeremybingham, uke and KYDan like this.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Looks like a paint defect, maybe only just come to light because of strong sun?

I do agree about new cars. They start off perfect then come the stonechips and the Mini front end and upright windscreen seems more prone than other cars.
jeremybingham and Evlkarl like this.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
Yes feels like they're out to get you as soon as you leave the showroom. Swbo kerbed our lovely black front alloy recently. Have filled it and painted it with a touch up stick. Hoping i can get the brush marks our with cutting compound when it has hardened. Otherwise i shall be paying!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
I can't really see in the photos but sounds like a defect although strange to happen in the middle of a panel!

I had similar some years back and I would have bet my house that it was a paint defect but proved to be like said a sap of some kind that polished out. Good job I didn't bet or I'd be homeless
Evlkarl likes this.

"Life's too short not to!!"
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 AM
uke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Could you be the victim of a focused sunlight beam? A while back I read of a new building that started setting nearby cars on fire due to some kind of fresnel effect with the building windows. Did you have the car parked somewhere where AZ death ray sunlight could have impinged on your door?
Evlkarl likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On my way 2 the body shop they repainted my car last year when I had to file a claim because of a dust storm we had and they repainted the bumper fenders and hood and had to blend the paint into the door. I wonder if it was bad prep work and it starts to show will know more later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page