5Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
jax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Recommendations on white roof paint repair

I left my car parked yesterday in my office's garage, which has security etc. When I washed my car last night there was a small dent and big deep scratch through the roof paint - right down to the metal. It's maybe 1 inch by 2 or 3 inches and deep enough to see blue paint under it and metal, and the surface of the scratch is rough. I can't tell if this was done purposely but I have no idea how else it would have happened. It would have taken some force to make the dent. It couldn't have been a rock or I would have heard it while driving. Anyway, it makes me pretty sad and I'd like to repair it.

Does anyone have any advice on repairing the roof paint? I looked online for touch up paint but all I could find was pepper white which said it doubled as roof paint but is the roof really the same as the pepper white body color? Any recommendations on how to make it smooth after I touch it up? Or should I just take it to a body shop? Any idea how much such a repair might cost? I imagine the dent is impossible to fix but at least if the paint was fixed it would be less noticeable.

2016 5-door aka 4-door aka F55 Cooper S (manual).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jax; 05-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
A stone from another vehicle?. A lady i work with has her car in for a really nasty dent in the roof just above the top edge of the windscreen.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
jax

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
A stone from another vehicle?. A lady i work with has her car in for a really nasty dent in the roof just above the top edge of the windscreen.

I imagine I would have heard it if it was a stone impact. I'll post a photo later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
That sucks.... I would be looking at a localised repair, dent devils type of thing, no idea what the equivalent would be in Houston.

And the only roof that came in pepper white was the one on the WC50, the standard roof is not pepper although I've no idea what it's called, or the code.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
jax

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswagon View Post
That sucks.... I would be looking at a localised repair, dent devils type of thing, no idea what the equivalent would be in Houston.

And the only roof that came in pepper white was the one on the WC50, the standard roof is not pepper although I've no idea what it's called, or the code.

I might try to take it by a body shop for an estimate on the way home from work. There are definitely some dent guys here. The car is a F55 so glad I know not to buy the pepper white paint.

post #6 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Garage
By any chance did you drive the 55 thru an automatic car wash? Dents remove really easy a dent master can do it. What will set you back a little is the prep work and paint the spot. BTW when I take my Mini thru the wash when I get to the dryer part of the wash you can hear how the roof pops when it get a blast of air. The roof on the Mini is very thin and it does not take alot to get it damaged.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
jax

Garage
Recommendations on white roof paint repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlkarl View Post
By any chance did you drive the 55 thru an automatic car wash? Dents remove really easy a dent master can do it. What will set you back a little is the prep work and paint the spot. BTW when I take my Mini thru the wash when I get to the dryer part of the wash you can hear how the roof pops when it get a blast of air. The roof on the Mini is very thin and it does not take alot to get it damaged.

I did go through a car wash recently (touchless) but I assume I would have heard the impact that was strong enough to dig all of the paint out of the roof of there was one. I don't think it was the dryer because that wouldn't explain the paint and very deep scratch.

I also washed my previous mini there weekly for 10 years and never had a problem.

post #8 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
jax

Garage
Some photos.

post #9 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Blimey. That is quite a gouge.
Hard to see that as vandalism - as the location and type of damage looks 'natural' to me; unless vandal dropped a rock from a bridge as you went under.

2016/17 Cooper vert (F57) auto.
post #10 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
jax

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
Blimey. That is quite a gouge.
Hard to see that as vandalism - as the location and type of damage looks 'natural' to me; unless vandal dropped a rock from a bridge as you went under.

Wouldn't I have heard it though? It just have happened in the garage while parked at work or on my roughly 10 minute commute home but it's unlikely to have happened during those 10 min because I had he sun roof open and would have heard it / seen it. It must have been a large heavy object.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page