Adaptive damping vs. sport suspension option - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

107Likes

post #1 of 166 Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Adaptive damping vs. sport suspension option

I am not informed on how these options will alter the car's driving dynamics. I think one of the first drive reviews concluded the adaptive damping was not impressive, but now I cannot find that quote.

What are your thoughts on these two options? In the U.S. configurator, each is priced at $500 USD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This snippet from MotoringFile's review addresses my question, but I would still like more opinions.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/01/...oper-cooper-s/

Quote:
The suspension is not simply redesigned. Each level of that tuning has been rethought. MINI engineers explained it to me like this: Consider the base Cooper S suspension at the “0’ point — the neutral — between performance and comfort. When equipped with variable dampers, the suspension has a range of -10 in Normal / Green modes, and +10 in Sport mode. Then there’s the optional stand-alone Sport Suspension, which is at a +30 to the performance side of the scale. Reportedly, the updated Sports Suspension is more aggressive than today — equivalent to the R56 JCW factory sports suspension setting (not the dealer installed kit). We only drove MINI’s with the variable dampers, but given my personal experience, I’d likely opt for the sport suspension if I was buying a performance-oriented MINI. However if I was buying more of a daily driver or commuter MINI, the variable dampers would be hard to pass up. That said, I would have liked greater differentiation between the two settings. The difference was noticeable but not as dramatic as I had hoped.
post #3 of 166 Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
One is a damper with adjustable settings for compression and rebound. You go from soft and comfortable to stiff and sporty. Its adjustable to your needs.

Then there is the sports suspension which is sporty all the time. Not as comfortable as either the adjustable or the stock//standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 166 Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My thoughts, go for what you want.
Some guys want it to be a true sporty vehicle so the sporty suspension is the way to go. If you want a bit of everything, adaptive is what you want
post #5 of 166 Old 05-25-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I haven't received my Mini yet and I have been wondering about the Dynamic Dampers. Are they built into the suspension adjustments so they always give you -10 for normal/green and +10 for sport setting more than the non dynamic suspension or is it something you can switch on and off? Or even make adjustments yourself?
post #6 of 166 Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
In Green and Normal mode, you will always be at -10. Impossible to have +10 in these modes.

When you switch to Sport mode, the suspension gets at +10 by default.

By using the menu options, you can decide to configure the Sport mode to not go to +10 anymore. I don't remember the name of the option but it disables the +10 and the steering wheel stiffness (and maybe other things too ?!) You can't control exactly what you want.

What I usually do is that I drive most of the time in Sport mode except when the road is bumpy where I quickly switch in Normal mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
I haven't received my Mini yet and I have been wondering about the Dynamic Dampers. Are they built into the suspension adjustments so they always give you -10 for normal/green and +10 for sport setting more than the non dynamic suspension or is it something you can switch on and off? Or even make adjustments yourself?
andyross37, The Meal and Blue al like this.
post #7 of 166 Old 05-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the explanation Patch. I guess this means I can't go with my plan to use the dynamic dampers to jack up the suspension a foot or so and run the Mini in the local mud bog races.
BTW - are you missing your S4? I just sold my A4 and am without any car until Mini comes in.
post #8 of 166 Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I liked the adaptive damping. The roads aren't particularly great in parts of the UK, so it's good to soften up the ride when required.
post #9 of 166 Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Sounds like it will be nice to have when one is riding on 17" wheels with run-flat tires on rough roads.
post #10 of 166 Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I can confirm it helps on rough road with 17 inches! (Quebec region is well known for its very bad roads ...)

Regarding the S4, I really miss its power and overall balance. The bi-turbo were awesome and it pushed you deep in the seats when you'd floor it. I also miss its braking capacity. It's the only car I've own where the brakes were correctly designed to handle the car's performance. All other cars, including the F56, don't have enough braking power for my taste.
misterb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page