Creak/groan from suspension - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Creak/groan from suspension

Car is a February 2016 F56 3 door Cooper Petrol.
For the past couple of months I have been hearing a kind of a creak/groan from what I assume is the suspension.
It seemed louder when the outside temperature was colder.
It was sort of like a dry rubber kind of noise.
It got more prevalent but was still intermittent.
I dropped it off to my dealer two weeks ago.
They eventually heard the noise and rebooked in the car for last week.
They replaced both front lower arms and bushes.
The workshop manager wasn't happy though after the following test drive and said he'd replace both front shock top mounts.
This was done but still the workshop manager wasn't happy.....
Now it's awaiting a call back from MINI with a suggestion as to what it may be.
My initial thoughts were a rear shock or a rear shock top mount but apparently these were checked and found to be okay.

Anyone have any ideas ?
hotrunner and Dimitri like this.

Ferg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Mine would make very loud clunk and racking noises going over speed humps and driveways.

This recent thread covers it and has pictures of my receipt with the mechanic notes.

They first replaced the lower control arm bushings but a noise was still there. They then replaced the lower control arms with integrated rubber mounts and the noises went away.
hotrunner and MiniMpi like this.

Understeer - is when you hit the wall with the front wing; oversteer - is when you hit the wall with the back wing; horsepower - is how fast you hit the wall; torque - is how far you move the wall when you hit it.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMpi View Post
Car is a February 2016 F56 3 door Cooper Petrol.
For the past couple of months I have been hearing a kind of a creak/groan from what I assume is the suspension.
It seemed louder when the outside temperature was colder.
It was sort of like a dry rubber kind of noise.
It got more prevalent but was still intermittent.
I dropped it off to my dealer two weeks ago.
They eventually heard the noise and rebooked in the car for last week.
They replaced both front lower arms and bushes.
The workshop manager wasn't happy though after the following test drive and said he'd replace both front shock top mounts.
This was done but still the workshop manager wasn't happy.....
Now it's awaiting a call back from MINI with a suggestion as to what it may be.
My initial thoughts were a rear shock or a rear shock top mount but apparently these were checked and found to be okay.

Anyone have any ideas ?
I thought I was going nuts and hearing what you have described. I have heard it the past two winters with my car thinking it was the new(er) RFT making the noise. Never had RFT before, didn't know what to expect for the cold winters here. Then, just yesterday I heard it again outside, temp minus -19c . I think I will book an appointment and get this resolved.

If it is the same as you, is it a common issue also with my 2016 F56 3 ?
MiniMpi likes this.

life is just a bowl of cherries when driving a F56

Last edited by hotrunner; 12-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Desert Rat.

Hotrunner, still not resolved sadly.
My dealer hasn't come across it before.
hotrunner and Desert Rat like this.

Ferg.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

The latest is that they have adjusted the steering rack...
And the noise apparently is now gone.
Supposed to be ready to collect tomorrow but I'll wait and see.
hotrunner likes this.

Ferg.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrunner View Post
I thought I was going nuts and hearing what you have described. I have heard it the past two winters with my car thinking it was the new(er) RFT making the noise. Never had RFT before, didn't know what to expect for the cold winters here. Then, just yesterday I heard it again outside, temp minus -19c . I think I will book an appointment and get this resolved.

If it is the same as you, is it a common issue also with my 2016 F56 3 ?
hotrunner, I get creaks and groans when it gets cold but they generally go away when the car warms up. The front end issue they fixed on mine when going over speed humps it sounded like the front end was falling apart. Not just cold creaky rubber but metal clunks. People on the sidewalks could hear it! It didn't matter at what speed or angle any up and down movement of the front wheels would result in a loud CLUNK!
hotrunner likes this.

Understeer - is when you hit the wall with the front wing; oversteer - is when you hit the wall with the back wing; horsepower - is how fast you hit the wall; torque - is how far you move the wall when you hit it.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I get a noise from the front but I've not been able hear it consistently
post #8 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM

@ Desert Rat......in your humble opinion, do I wait or do I book an appointment after the holidays. I can't imagine that my car will be booked anytime soon if I did want to take it in ? Its not like the car isn't derivable. It is just a concern, major, minor or nothing at all but just the cold weather here....brrr its so darn cold here.....it is so cold, that the Polar Bears have gone into hiding. Minus -30c tomorrow.

post #9 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrunner View Post
@ Desert Rat......in your humble opinion, do I wait or do I book an appointment after the holidays. I can't imagine that my car will be booked anytime soon if I did want to take it in ? Its not like the car isn't derivable. It is just a concern, major, minor or nothing at all but just the cold weather here....brrr its so darn cold here.....it is so cold, that the Polar Bears have gone into hiding. Minus -30c tomorrow.
Hard to say mate. My noise was so loud and beyond any creak or squeak from cold rubber I booked it as soon as I could. Seriously, you could hear it with the radio playing and feel the clunk in your feet from the control arm shifting.

If it's a big concern to you that you might have what I did give them a ring and see when they can get it looked at.

post #10 of 25 Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM

@ Desert Rat.....I am going to wait until after the New Year. I don't use my vehicle all that much. The noise is there, minor. Only makes the noise up start up, turn the wheel in my underground garage and drive around a couple of corners when I hear the sound for seconds at a time. I get outside and I never hear it again. I do hear it again when I park the car outside on a cold day, do some shopping and come back, start it up, and turn the wheel and I hear it. When I drive off, I don't really hear it again. So I am not sure if it is what MiniMpi is experiencing or my cold RFT are making this sound that MiniMpi described. I will keep my ear on it.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page