Coilover options - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

24Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Coilover options

Hey everyone, I am looking to get some coil overs on ChimChim. I want to reduce the wheel gap, originally I was going with Lowering springs and use them until I wore the shocks and struts to death to save a couple bucks, I've since reminded myself that I am a buy once cry once type of guy. I also drive this thing hard so I'd benefit from the stability. I have seen a lot of good reviews on the usual suspects from end users but little to no data certain aspects of the product, ie longevity and commute ride quality. It'd be nice to know what people are getting out of their coilovers.
Any experiences with the below products would be appreciated, especially outside of the KWs which have many great reviews everywhere.

I have noticed that I can get a significantly better price shopping from sites in the UK and having them shipped. That's why most of the URLs I have included are in the UK….Also if anyone has had experiences with Demon Tweeks feel free to chime in. Thanks All!

Bilstein B14
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...47-244412~bil/

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...dClar=Cooper+S

ST XA
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...s-rear-30-55mm

Eibach Pro street
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...s-rear-20-45mm

Forge
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-forge-pa.../fmsusf56~frg/

KW V1
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...s-rear-30-55mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I had DDC so my only option was KW (as they do DDC cancellation kits) and went for KW v1...

I had KW v1 & v2 on previous BMW's and they have been great compromise in sporting firmness and still have good (relatively) ride...

The KW v1 implementation on the F56 is a little firmer than on my previous cars so the ride is not as good although that might be more to do with them being a bigger car than the F56... The handling/road holding characteristics are great as you would expect from KW.

You could also consider the JCW Pro suspension which is made by KW and retains warranty which I've read is near enough the KW v1 but made to Mini's own specs..

There is a review of Bilsteins here

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...rs-thread.html
uke and ChimChimGoFast like this.

MCS Pepper White | JCW Tuning & Brake Kit | JB4 | KW v1 | Forge SS | Enkei | 498 Race Spoke | Michelin SS | Chilli Pack | Lounge Leather w/heating | VDC | HeadUp | HK | V Boost | Chrome Line | Heated Screen | PDC etc..
post #3 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm currently looking at options for Coilovers too. The ST XA and BC kits seem quite appealing as they have damper adjustment. KW's start getting expensive before you get that option. Demon tweeks is a well known supplier for parts here in the U.K. too so you shouldn't have any problems with ordering from them!
ChimChimGoFast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM

One thing to note about KW (& ST too I assume) is that the rebound adjustment dial (with the option) is on top of the damper/strut so its accessible in the engine bay for the front but on the rear it cannot be adjusted unless you remove the damper unit which is far from ideal!
ChimChimGoFast likes this.

MCS Pepper White | JCW Tuning & Brake Kit | JB4 | KW v1 | Forge SS | Enkei | 498 Race Spoke | Michelin SS | Chilli Pack | Lounge Leather w/heating | VDC | HeadUp | HK | V Boost | Chrome Line | Heated Screen | PDC etc..
post #5 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks. im wanting to stay under 1500 installed. My install will be 350 or less so i have about 11-1200 to play with. Looks like i can almost get into the V2s for that amount from the UK. I may go with the STs because of the assumed quality being KW valving and very attractive pricing. As much as i think i want to be able to adjust damping i dont know how much i would ever mess with it at this point, it may be a feature lost on me for a premium i could use elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
Demon tweeks is a well known supplier for parts here in the U.K. too so you shouldn't have any problems with ordering from them!
Thanks for that, this was a big concern for me as ordering from another country always runs the risk of customer service trouble that ate hard top resolve being across the big drink.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM

I assume you have included additional taxes and delivery to the cost savings when importing to US?

I would also get in touch with supplier e.g. KW to ensure that they have an International warranty regardless of where you purchased them as sometimes manufacturers can be a bit awkward that it was not purchased through official import channels.

post #8 of 60 Old 01-20-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
I assume you have included additional taxes and delivery to the cost savings when importing to US?

I would also get in touch with supplier e.g. KW to ensure that they have an International warranty regardless of where you purchased them as sometimes manufacturers can be a bit awkward that it was not purchased through official import channels.

Thanks for the heads up on the Warranty query, would have had no idea. I did check on the Import taxes, looks like 2.5% duty and whatever my state tax is depending on applicability of the part, some parts are and some arent taxed from what I read on customs page, I assume this is if you purchase from a merchant on US soil or direct, I'm just speculating at this point. Below is the link I used to find the rates. For the KWs and STs its totally worth to pay the duty as there is 600 dollar premium to buy them here, 600!! I'll save a minimum of 400 buying them from the old world, after taxes and shipping. I stay local when I can, if I can keep my extra cost below 200 bucks, but when we are over that then I go with cost savings....

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popula...for-car-parts/
post #9 of 60 Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Did you ever end up ordering your Coilovers? I've just put an order in for the Eibach Pro Street S Coils. Being fitted early in March once the arrive from Germany. Can't wait.
post #10 of 60 Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
i just put in my order for ST XA from Demon tweeks UK.
seem like a steal in comparison, galvanised and 2 year warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page