User Tag List

16Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Coil-over or Springs?

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the forum for the past few months now, decided I'm going to look into my first mod. Coil-overs on a budget of around £700 or lowering springs and possibly Koni shocks in the future

I purchased my Midnight Black MCS back in October, and so far it's had nothing done to it (Had to save up and my limited knowledge meant I had to research). The car was already on the lot, so it came with DDC, so need to work around that.

But I've seen the KW coil-over spring kits, so if I'm right these are installed onto the stock dampers with the benefit of adjusting the height as you would in a set of KW V1's for example but not paying as much for them. Was just wondering if anyone has this KW coil-over spring kit or if it can even be installed onto a DDC MCS?

I'm also considering the cheaper KW sub in the ST XA coil-overs

Let me know what you guys think, I'd like to learn more before making a final decision.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Ok, springs are a no no in my opinion.. thats as far as we are going with that one.
because you have DDC you need to either find some that work with it.. or find some that delete it out..
this will limit your choices if you choose to keep it.

i have ordered ST XA for my 16 MCS auto and will do a full write up when they bloody arrive from germany.. fingers crossed next week!!
KW are renowned for comfort and quality..
uke and MiniMCS like this.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM
uke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Coilovers. Do it right the first time.

I don't remember exactly where this was but @Ryephile did a pretty good takedown on lowering springs vs coilovers. Maybe NAM. His argument, going back and forth with people who were only concerned with "stance" and not performance, seemed compelling to me (I ended up installing JCW Pro coilovers and love them).

post #4 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Jordan, would you happen to know if the ST XA have DDC deletes? What made you go for them ?

Did you consider other options ?

I mean I have seen other builds with Eibach lowering springs and Koni shocks, I guess at that point, it's more than the coil-overs.

Thanks
post #5 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I remember reading that, I think doing right first time is better, even if it means saving for a couple more months.

I was thinking about the jcw ones, essentially they are kw? How does it work with warranty for DDC cars if I was to order them at the dealership and have it installed by them?

Your opinion on alternatives ?

Thanks
post #6 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMCS View Post
Yeah I remember reading that, I think doing right first time is better, even if it means saving for a couple more months.

I was thinking about the jcw ones, essentially they are kw? How does it work with warranty for DDC cars if I was to order them at the dealership and have it installed by them?

Your opinion on alternatives ?

Thanks
I am assuming that since the JCW coilovers have the full MINI warranty, they would be fine with DDC. But I don't know that you can actually fit the JCW Pro on DDC systems. This page at realoem seems to indicate that DDC is not supported.

I have not looked too deeply into alternatives. Very soon after I started considering coilovers, I ran into @Ryephile 's threads, and found his argument for the MINI OEM coilovers compelling. I looked at KW, and also the NM Bilstein coilovers; I decided that I don't need or want to fart around with adjusting the damping rates, so the base KW coilovers was the way to go. Same deal on the Bilsteins-- Great parts, but overkill for me. And the JCW Pro coilovers are made by KW and pretty much identical to the base model, with the bonus of the full MINI warranty. It was an easy choice.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke View Post
I am assuming that since the JCW coilovers have the full MINI warranty, they would be fine with DDC. But I don't know that you can actually fit the JCW Pro on DDC systems. This page at realoem seems to indicate that DDC is not supported.

I have not looked too deeply into alternatives. Very soon after I started considering coilovers, I ran into @Ryephile 's threads, and found his argument for the MINI OEM coilovers compelling. I looked at KW, and also the NM Bilstein coilovers; I decided that I don't need or want to fart around with adjusting the damping rates, so the base KW coilovers was the way to go. Same deal on the Bilsteins-- Great parts, but overkill for me. And the JCW Pro coilovers are made by KW and pretty much identical to the base model, with the bonus of the full MINI warranty. It was an easy choice.
Thanks for your input so far uke.

Yeah the DDC was just an extra option on the car when I saw it, at the time the cars they had in stock were all on deals, spec was good enough for me, so had to go for it. I don't mind disabling the DDC, had this thought from the beginning that I would probably have to.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your set? To be installed as well? I'm from the UK, I'm seeing £1350 (Approx. 1670 US$) for a set and not sure on installation, I will give someone a ring this weekend.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM

I has Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers fitted this week and and really impressed with them. Noticeably more stable going through corners but not at all harsh. Less than £900 fitted if you buy them from the right place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3012_1489763165735.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	50537  
harveycook97 and MiniMCS like this.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
I has Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers fitted this week and and really impressed with them. Noticeably more stable going through corners but not at all harsh. Less than £900 fitted if you buy them from the right place!
That looks great! What tyres are you running, spacers needed?

I've seen the Eibachs, what made you get these? Did you consider KW V1's or the JCW PRO's? I've been looking and you must have found a good deal aha, can only find a set for minimum £950.

Thanks
post #10 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM
uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMCS View Post
Thanks for your input so far uke.

Yeah the DDC was just an extra option on the car when I saw it, at the time the cars they had in stock were all on deals, spec was good enough for me, so had to go for it. I don't mind disabling the DDC, had this thought from the beginning that I would probably have to.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your set? To be installed as well? I'm from the UK, I'm seeing £1350 (Approx. 1670 US$) for a set and not sure on installation, I will give someone a ring this weekend.
I paid US $4000 for the JCW Pro Chassis, NM Engineering 25mm rear sway bar, NM Engineering rear end links, and a full 4 wheel alignment, post install.
MiniMCS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page