18" Cosmos with Dunlop Sport Maxz RT Runflats Ride Quality - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
18" Cosmos with Dunlop Sport Maxz RT Runflats Ride Quality

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I have not long purchased a mini cooper s f56 with 18" Cosmos Wheels wrapped in 205/40/18 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT Runflats and am findinf the ride quality much harsher than I expected. I also have the Dynamic Chassis Control and even in mid or green setting the ride still feels harsh.

I also have a few other issues which I wonder if they are related to the run flats.

When braking from a high speed the car feels extremely unstable and almost felt like it's bouncing side to side.

When WOT the grip levels seem extremely poor in comparison to other Fwd I have owned.

So wondering if I should ditch the run flats tyres, and/or change to 17" wheels. I assume the tyre size is correct.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Garage
Ditch the tires if you like the wheels. For me the 17 inch wheels worked out perfect. The run flats are not my thing.
jeremybingham likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is not "Old School" if you can not put a Weber on it.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
I felt even 17" non run flats felt harsh in my f56 but i didn't have the adaptive suspension. For a better ride get rid of run craps and move down wheel size. Best go to mini and test drive a couple first perhaps! Be crafty!...ie try a cat with 17" anbd then with 16" wheels perhaps you may need to visit different dealers! Basically dont spend what could be a lot till you've tried!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
There's a couple things you have to keep in mind.

First. Run flats are not a performance designed tire. They have an extremely stiff sidewall, and extra rubber because of their design, which is it's own downfall (I'm assuming a super stiff sidewall is not good in turning and heavy tires create a sluggish feeling). I bought a set of performance summer tires and noticed a complete and total difference between the two tires.

Secondly wheel weight. The mini wheels, while being good quality, are very heavy. When I bought my summer tires I bumped up a size in wheels, 16"-17" and still managed to shave 5lbs. a wheel in weight. That difference has really equated to a more lively and responsive feel when I turn the wheel. Combine the drop in wheel weight and tire weight, coming to about 13 lbs. a corner, coupled with the performance aspect of the summer tire, and the daily drive was completely changed (another thing to note, because of my exhaust, and my bigger summer wheels, I got rid of my spare tire and it's container- which looked useless anyway- which helped to save me even more weight {even with my mobility kit in the trunk}).

Just my .02
jeremybingham and uke like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Totally agree, ditch the run flats and enjoy the ride and what MINIs were designed to do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life's too short not to!!"
post #6 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisboy386 View Post
There's a couple things you have to keep in mind.

First. Run flats are not a performance designed tire. They have an extremely stiff sidewall, and extra rubber because of their design, which is it's own downfall (I'm assuming a super stiff sidewall is not good in turning and heavy tires create a sluggish feeling). I bought a set of performance summer tires and noticed a complete and total difference between the two tires.

Secondly wheel weight. The mini wheels, while being good quality, are very heavy. When I bought my summer tires I bumped up a size in wheels, 16"-17" and still managed to shave 5lbs. a wheel in weight. That difference has really equated to a more lively and responsive feel when I turn the wheel. Combine the drop in wheel weight and tire weight, coming to about 13 lbs. a corner, coupled with the performance aspect of the summer tire, and the daily drive was completely changed (another thing to note, because of my exhaust, and my bigger summer wheels, I got rid of my spare tire and it's container- which looked useless anyway- which helped to save me even more weight {even with my mobility kit in the trunk}).

Just my .02
So you reduced weight by going from 16" to 17"?

Tbh I think for me 17" wheels would be the sweet spot, not to small, cheaper tyres and obviously I would aim to get rid of the run flats.

But I don't want to ditch the run flats if it is unlikely to make a difference.

It definitely is not stable at high speeds or hard breaking and I am hoping swapping to non run flats will sort this?

post #7 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
What pressures are you running? i have 18" cups with runflats and have been experimenting with pressures. the door card recommendation of 44 psi is just too high for me. I've settled on 38 fronts 35 rear. this has stopped the vagueness of the steering and is a good balance of handling and ride.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
What pressures are you running? i have 18" cups with runflats and have been experimenting with pressures. the door card recommendation of 44 psi is just too high for me. I've settled on 38 fronts 35 rear. this has stopped the vagueness of the steering and is a good balance of handling and ride.
Hi, the TPMS shows 2.7/2.8bar front and 2.5bar rear

post #9 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don16 View Post
Hi, the TPMS shows 2.7/2.8bar front and 2.5bar rear

if you look on the drivers door pressure card. Mine states, sorry for the poor quality photo.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
I found run flats to be very pressure sensitive that came on my R55 JCW on changing to non run flats it was like a completely different car. You could feel it grip in corners and non skip/scruff the way round, the ride improved on the awful roads near me as the sidewall took some of the shock.

I'd also say 17" are better as 18" on non run flats still have a very shallow sidewall although better than run flats.

"Life's too short not to!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page