User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Unhappy Dash Cams

Does anyone use a dash cam in their Mini?

A year ago I was in an accident that deemed me 50% at fault and I had a terrible time proving that it wasn't my fault. 5 years ago I did have an accident (when I was first learning to drive) and now I am deemed as an "at risk driver" here in Toronto. Insurances are crazy expensive and I am hoping to install a dash cam to help alleviate any future accidents.

I baught a dash cam about a year ago (iCAN) http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...4upnm00sujkeu7

But I initially find it to be very un-intuitive in the way the functionality works.

Is anyone else using a dash cam that they really love? What are the pros and cons of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage
I'm surprised it isn't an option that you can buy with the car... especially as the driving assistant pack has a front facing camera.

Mark
post #3 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Yep, I use two-one facing the front and one in the rear.

Most people tend to have front facing only, but with a rear facing camera you can capture all those tailgaters and nose pickers etc!

Very useful if someone hits you from behind whilst using their phone perhaps.

The cameras I use are MINI 0801 and were about £50 each from Amazon.

The cameras have a mount that sticks onto the glass and the camera just slots in.
The power lead connects directly to the base so can be left in situ.
I just run the power lead around the trim and plug it into the accessory socket (you can always hard wire them if desired).

They switch on and off with the ignition, and record in continuous segments until the memory card is used up whereupon the oldest segments get recorded over.

Check out my youtube channel for some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeC...3LYtDHvdTKbSMQ

Also check out this guy for lots of detailed reviews, both on website and youtube.
http://www.techmoan.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I...W9gZPVkvzM8_Cw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC99 View Post

Most people tend to have front facing only, but with a rear facing camera you can capture all those tailgaters and nose pickers etc!

Very useful if someone hits you from behind whilst using their phone perhaps.

The cameras I use are MINI 0801 and were about £50 each from Amazon.

The cameras have a mount that sticks onto the glass and the camera just slots in.
The power lead connects directly to the base so can be left in situ.
I just run the power lead around the trim and plug it into the accessory socket (you can always hard wire them if desired).

They switch on and off with the ignition, and record in continuous segments until the memory card is used up whereupon the oldest segments get recorded over.

Check out my youtube channel for some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeC...3LYtDHvdTKbSMQ

Also check out this guy for lots of detailed reviews, both on website and youtube.
http://www.techmoan.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I...W9gZPVkvzM8_Cw
Thank you for the detailed reply! I am definitely going to look into this one.
I got one for my brother and a month in he already had a chance to use it because he got a guy back out of the underground driveway and hit him. Crazy!

I really really really wish that the mini had the feature already built in as MintMark mentioned. It seems like such an easy thing to add. I'd rather have more safety and proof on the road than have the the thing do the parking for me :/
post #5 of 34 Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSeven View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply! I am definitely going to look into this one.
I got one for my brother and a month in he already had a chance to use it because he got a guy back out of the underground driveway and hit him. Crazy!

I really really really wish that the mini had the feature already built in as MintMark mentioned. It seems like such an easy thing to add. I'd rather have more safety and proof on the road than have the the thing do the parking for me :/
I think it will come in the future that all cars are fitted with them from standard.
By the way, the 0801 dash cam has now been superseded by the 0803 which apparently is better in low light conditions.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
A great comparison of cams is here:
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/da...parison-table/

The one I've been looking at getting is:

More money than I was thinking of spending but it does have some very unique features.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I read an interesting article about dash cams and car TV legislation - a dash cam with a video screen on the back is illegal under UK law that prevents a TV or other screen from being seen by the driver, except under certain circumstances. And, before you raise it, presenting navigation information is one of those exceptions, so this doesn't apply to satnavs.

I can't see anyone being stopped for this, but should you annoy the traffic polis, this might be the sort of thing that can be used against you.
post #8 of 34 Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy 2015 Mini Cooper dashcam woes

I'm confused about the dashcam situation, my gf brought a 2015 mini about a month ago and wanted a dashcam so I bought her one for Christmas. We just went out there and the first thing I did was plug the power supply into the cigarette lighter socket and the power was already on, car was off. So I took her keys and locked the doors, still had power flowing through it. Started the car and turned it off at the toggle switch twice (turns the radio and other accessories off) still has power through that socket. I've looked in the manual and that was no help, I looked through the options in the computer and couldn't find anything. Seems like the socket always has power flowing through it? Anyone have any advice or tips? I have the camera all setup to automatically record when there's power and when there's no power it just shuts off and I'm afraid she's not always going to remember to unplug it and it's going to drain her battery one night. I was hoping it would work like my car, I have my radar detector plugged in, when the car is off it cuts power and when it's on there's power, doesn't seem like the 2015 mini works that way.
post #9 of 34 Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No idea if it actually works like a dashcam with all the expected features, but there is a thing called the MINI Advanced Car Eye (66212289725, 66212289726 and 66212289727) that seems like an Official dashcam-y product, probably at an official product price.

As for the lighter socket being always-on, that's how most BMWs I know of are set up, so it's not a surprise to me. You could rewire it to be a switched circuit, but for the same amount of work you could just hard-wire the camera to do the same.
post #10 of 34 Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC99 View Post
So MAC99... where exactly did you mount the front facing camera? I've finally bought my dual channel dash cam and wanted to have an idea of where to mount it. I ask because there are so many built-in things in the car already behind the rearview mirror and I don't want to interfere with any of that stuff.

I'm either going to mount it off to one side or down quite low. I'm just not sure what the smartest thing to do is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page