Mini Click & Drive System Install (with MINI Connected) - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mini Click & Drive System Install (with MINI Connected)

Hey guys! So, my boyfriend and I spent our 3 day weekend detailing up my new Mini, and also decided to install the OEM Click & Drive system. We wanted to install it ourselves, and the only instructions we could find were actually pretty worthless, and there didn't seem to be any other people posting detailed steps on install, so we decided to document our crazy journey for anyone wanting to do it themselves. After installing it the traditional factory way, and seeing its limitations, we came up with an even better setup, which I will document below!

Basically, I loved the idea of the Click & Drive system - being able to have my phone/navigation right at my eye level by the steering wheel, and I also loved the idea that the phone can plug directly into the system to charge (and use Mini connected....or so I thought). What we found out through this install process, is that you can only use the Mini Connected app using the USB port below the center instrument, or with the snap-in adapter in the center console.

The way the Click & Drive works, is you install an awesome OEM piece behind your instrument cluster that allows for movement to hold your gadget (ie. iPhone, GPS, etc.). The part comes suited up with wiring and electrical hardware for you to wire into the Mini's electrical system, which is what we did, originally. But when the process was all said and done, I realized, I couldn't use the Mini Connected app unless my lightning cable was hanging all the way down and plugged into that one special USB port - which then pretty much rendered my Click & Drive system as just a fancy iPhone holder and charger. I personally like using the Mini Connected app to stream my Spotify. If that's not such a big deal to you, and you do everything over bluetooth anyway, then you're good! Just follow the regular install. (Which I can give any tips on if you need) But if you're like me, and you want access to any and all options possible, you can follow this special little setup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, first thing is first, we didn't decide to document this until we had already removed the instrument cluster, but it's very simple. You have to remove some screws on the back of the cluster, as well as some little pieces on the bottom of the cluster on either side:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6014.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	20538
We used a small Allen wrench to get those pieces out on the bottom.

For installing the actual Click & Drive unit, it's just a matter of attaching it to the back of the cluster via the long screws that are provided in the package.

Name:	IMG_6013.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	20530

Now for the fun stuff...The cable that is directly attached to the Click & Drive unit itself, is a USB cable - that USB cable then attaches to this power converter unit, which is attaching to the wiring that will connect to the electrical in your Mini. For this setup, you can ditch all the wiring. All you'll need is the USB cable, which is permanently attached to the unit itself.

Name:	IMG_6023.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	20546

You lead the cable attached to the unit, into your dash, and down into the footwell.

Name:	IMG_6024.jpg
Views:	1822
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	20554

Name:	IMG_6027.jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	20562

Next, for our setup, you pop out the panel under your center instrument, that include the AUX in and USB ports. We just used a flat-head metal tool, with a thing cloth around it to prevent scratching. The panel will come loose, as it's just attached with clips.

Name:	IMG_6066.jpg
Views:	1462
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	20570

Name:	IMG_6068.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	20578

Next step is going to be removing that white harness from the panel, which is the USB unit. I wanted to ensure that I could reverse this whole setup and return everything to stock if I so decided one day, so we were extra careful with this process. We took extra care and time in removing this piece using the tabs, being careful not to snap any of the locks or tabs off.

Name:	IMG_6069.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	20586

Name:	IMG_6070.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	20594

Next, the USB cable you left hanging in your footwell, you need to fish it through so that it will appear in the hole where you removed that panel. We did this by trial and error, and shining a light through the hole to see if we could see any light in the gaps of some of the panels next to this area, down in the footwell. You just need to gently pry back a few trim pieces and fish your cable through until you strike gold. This is much easier with 2 people, as one person can have their hand in the hole, waiting for the arrival of the USB cable.

Name:	IMG_6073.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	20602

Continued.....
Jensen, xocomaox and MiniLeon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-05-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once you've fished your USB cable through, all that is left to do, is to attach the USB harness you pried off the panel to this USB cable.

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	20610

I forgot to mention, we also taped over the hole where the original USB port was, on the back of the panel, so no dust can enter in that area.

Name:	IMG_6071.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	20618

Once you've attached your USB, just re-attach the AUX-in wiring hardness, and re-attach your panel, and BOOM. You're Click & Drive is now connected to the main USB port, and you only have to plug your lightning cable in on the Click & Drive unit. No wires hanging down over your dash.

Name:	IMG_6095.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	20626

Name:	IMG_6096.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	20634

Yes, this will essentially take away your USB port for any other devices, however, our next project is to split the harness, and add back a USB port to fill that port, allowing for this setup, while keeping a usable USB port in that panel!
Jensen, MiniLeon, Gavin and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Putting the harness from behind the USB to the connectors in the passenger footwell only takes about 30 mins.

Volcanic Orange Cooper D, Chilli, LED's Park Assit + camera, heated screen, NBT + Visual boost, arm rest.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a great post, thanks!

If you were able to add back a functional USB port to the panel under the center instrument, could you post those instructions as well? Thanks again.
MiniLeon likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does this work for iPhone 6 Plus???
post #6 of 29 Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielngho View Post
Yes, but you have to get the universal clasp, though it barely fits my 6S Plus with a slim case.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #7 of 29 Old 12-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Yes, but you have to get the universal clasp, though it barely fits my 6S Plus with a slim case.
I was actually thinking on purchasing a standard iphone 6 plus holder then remove it from the original base, and i've seen that this come with a ball for adjusting the phone, maybe that work... will wait to try it... haven't receive anything yet... but will let you know
post #8 of 29 Old 12-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
This is ace, where do I get the click and drive unit from please?
post #9 of 29 Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjblyth View Post
This is ace, where do I get the click and drive unit from please?
You can buy it directly from dealer or website.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielngho View Post
Just got the Click and Drive and purchased a universal phone holder, and actually works with my otterbox case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page