Media XL Nav Map update? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Question Media XL Nav Map update?

Hello

Had my car a month now ( it's now a year old though), I suppose I am just about comfortable with the Nav, having covered a few thousand miles using it.

However there have been several times where the data has been missing (Road junctions, roundabouts etc.), which has actually been dangerous on one occasion.

Does anyone know if the software is updated automatically when the car is serviced? (I think mines due in a about 3-4000 miles time.) is it easy possible to do my self?

Also is there any other software apps available like journey mate that people have used? If so what is your experience using it?

...'Let me introduce you to my MCSD'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
Map updates are done by yourself via USB, but you have to buy the updates which come out about twice a year. You would buy the update from your dealer and you would receive a USB stick with the new maps that is specific to your VIN. Plug the USB stick in while the car is on and the update process starts automatically.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Map updates are done by yourself via USB, but you have to buy the updates which come out about twice a year. You would buy the update from your dealer and you would receive a USB stick with the new maps that is specific to your VIN. Plug the USB stick in while the car is on and the update process starts automatically.
Thanks siriuszero I spoke to my dealer today they don't seem to know much to be honest...
I will try a few other dealers local to me in the UK next week.
I have found my current software version for media which is MN002.045.001 but i don't know if this the most up to date..how do you know?
And does mini release software on the same dates each year then?

Many thanks to any answers to these questions
Slinky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-17-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
Thanks siriuszero I spoke to my dealer today they don't seem to know much to be honest...
I have found my current software version for media which is MN002.045.001 but i don't know if this the most up to date..how do you know?

Slinky
Your map version will be different than your headunit software version. Updating your headunit software is easy - go here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
Plug in your VIN and download the latest software file to a USB drive. Go to SETTINGS --> SOFTWARE UPDATE to begin the update. It won't be a drastic difference, just a lot of bugs fixed with Bluetooth connectivity

Software updates are pretty erratic. With the 2nd gen MINIs, they seemed to come out MAYBE once a year, but they seem to be more frequent for the 3rd gen MINIs.

To check what version of the maps you have, go to NAVIGATION and hit the OPTION button on the iDrive controller and scroll to the bottom to see Navigation Version. It will probably say something like EUROPE NEXT 2015-1. 2016-1 is the current version, I believe and the 2016-2 maps come out early next year.

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"

Last edited by siriuszero; 10-17-2015 at 03:18 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2015, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post

Slinky

I have the same version. At the Mini and BMW sites, they offer downloads of older versions?! Does anyone know where to look for the latest versions?

By the way, just updated my Mini Next map to 2015-2. Bought it online for 60 Euro. Had to mail my VIN and the guy sent a code and USB stick. Worked like a charm.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
As for apps, there's the recently updated MINI Connected app and the MINI Connected Journey Mate XL app. Both apps let you use an integrated interface for 3rd party apps like Spotify, TuneIn, etc. Both apps also gives you on-screen access to your Calendar. Both apps have the functionality to direct you to the last know location of your MINI. They differ in that the MINI Connected app tracks your trips (has trip details), while the Journey Mate allows you to plan trips and conveniently transfer them onto the nav system.

Hope this helps.

"Buck" 2014 MCS in TG/Black, JCW Interior Pack with MINI Connected XL. Runs MINI Connected Journey Mate XL app on iOS 9.3.2 Public Beta 3 with an iPhone SE.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Your map version will be different than your headunit software version. Updating your headunit software is easy - go here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
Plug in your VIN and download the latest software file to a USB drive. Go to SETTINGS --> SOFTWARE UPDATE to begin the update. It won't be a drastic difference, just a lot of bugs fixed with Bluetooth connectivity

Software updates are pretty erratic. With the 2nd gen MINIs, they seemed to come out MAYBE once a year, but they seem to be more frequent for the 3rd gen MINIs.

To check what version of the maps you have, go to NAVIGATION and hit the OPTION button on the iDrive controller and scroll to the bottom to see Navigation Version. It will probably say something like EUROPE NEXT 2015-1. 2016-1 is the current version, I believe and the 2016-2 maps come out early next year.
Thanks a lot siriuszero have now found this on my car 2014-2, so will buy the latest version Next 2015-2 on USB

post #8 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickered View Post
As for apps, there's the recently updated MINI Connected app and the MINI Connected Journey Mate XL app. Both apps let you use an integrated interface for 3rd party apps like Spotify, TuneIn, etc. Both apps also gives you on-screen access to your Calendar. Both apps have the functionality to direct you to the last know location of your MINI. They differ in that the MINI Connected app tracks your trips (has trip details), while the Journey Mate allows you to plan trips and conveniently transfer them onto the nav system.

Hope this helps.
Thanks vickered have now updated to journeymate

post #9 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owisscha View Post
I have the same version. At the Mini and BMW sites, they offer downloads of older versions?! Does anyone know where to look for the latest versions?

By the way, just updated my Mini Next map to 2015-2. Bought it online for 60 Euro. Had to mail my VIN and the guy sent a code and USB stick. Worked like a charm.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Thanks owisscha, have done the same as you (btw-navi-maps?) am waiting for the usb to arrive with it pre installed..

post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by owisscha View Post
What website did you order it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page