Delay on horns. Why? - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

38Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Delay on horns. Why?

Anyone have a good explanation on the delay that is present from when you press your horns and they actually sound off?

I'm curious as to what could be the reason for such a considerable delay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
No delay on mine generally although it does seem dependent on where you press it!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisboy386 View Post
Anyone have a good explanation on the delay that is present from when you press your horns and they actually sound off?

I'm curious as to what could be the reason for such a considerable delay
Same here.

The (rare) times I have used it, the delay did worry me. Its probably less than half a second but very noticable. I just assumed its because of the switching process is not like the old days but I don't really know.

It would be interesting to know others' findings and if they have found a delay.

If its not normally like it, I would complain and get it sorted.

Last edited by Sunbar; 02-08-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Horn delay is definitely present on many Minis, people have commented as much in other threads on these forums. It seems to be that there's less delay if you press the bottom of middle of the steering wheel but it's still present. In mine it's about half a second. I consider that a safety problem, since there are times you only have a few seconds to react to another driver.

I honestly hope this wasn't an intentional design decision, although it's not comforting to think it was an unintentional flaw. In any case, many of us are baffled why this delay is present & why Mini has let it go on.

Electric Blue 2015 Cooper S 5-door, Fully Loaded + Parking distance control, rear view camera, heads up display
post #5 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
It's because the horn is at the end of the wiring loom and all that elastic trickery has to go all the way to the end. Bit like hot water taking ages in the upstairs bathroom...

I have a Masters Degree in Engineering so I know these things

Mini number 5.. JCW number 2!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I think someone reported it as a fault, and it was fixed by the dealer.
post #7 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm, interesting one of the sales persons at the dealership told another salesperson not to BS me when we bought the 2nd JCW from them. His statement to him was, "he will know more about the car than you, and if he asks you a question go find the shop foreman, he may know the answer." Sort of gave me a warm fuzzy, but I was not aware of the horn issue. I think the only time I used it was during a club run when we passed one of the slower groups that had pulled over to let us pass and they were checking out a waterfall or some other point of interest and one of them yelled "there go the otters, stay out of their way!" Made me smile and I honked and waved. I will check the horn out today on the new mini!
Blue al likes this.
post #8 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
post #9 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thank you TraceyC & Blat7Chris.

I need to see if I still have this problem, as I don't know when I last used the horn.

Now I know what to look for and if its at all dodgy I will get the dealer to fix it. On my car the horn pad and airbag have been removed and replaced in the last six months for a different problem anyway.
post #10 of 54 Old 02-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
Having given my a go at lunch i found that i'm not pressing it hard enough-needs a real firm shove; just a tap doesnt seem to work; will do some more investigating with mine-i struggle to do a friendly beep beep due to this but never have a problem with a harsh beep!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page