User Tag List

12Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
Door locking with FOB Horn Beep

When I ordered what I thought was all that I wanted with my new mini was on the list I didn't realize I had to order the security package to have the horn beep when I lock the car with the FOB. It is annoying as I usually just push the lock button on the FOB as I am walking away from the car. I have acclimated enough to stop, turn around, to ensure that the lights have blinked indicating the doors have locked! It is only an annoyance, but I am so peeved with all the changes that mini made from the R series that were nifty little standard features that they now gouge you with a package for a $10 option without advising you that this formerly included feature is now an option in a package that I don't want as an add on to an already expensively tricked out little performance beastie I would like to determine if there is a relatively simple and inexpensive way to include the beep! Do any of you electronic wizards have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-21-2016, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
IMO the key fob beep on lock should be banned on every car; we did a tour of the usa and this drove us totally nuts in hotels. Surely as you walk away the locking of the doors is loud enough to hear-i dont think i ever bother looking at mine!

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
post #3 of 26 Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe for people with good hearing, alas, skeet shooting, motorcycles, go karts, etc. have left me somewhat hearing impaired and I didn't even realize there was an audible sound made by the locking mechanisms.
jeremybingham likes this.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
Maybe for people with good hearing, alas, skeet shooting, motorcycles, go karts, etc. have left me somewhat hearing impaired and I didn't even realize there was an audible sound made by the locking mechanisms.
I'm with Dan on this one. 20 years working in close proximity to jet engines, and a lifetime of gun ranges, hunting and killer stereos have degraded my hearing somewhat. Th 69 years of life in general may have something to do with my hearing loss too. If I'm standing right next to the door I can hear the locking mechanism, but only if I'm in very close proximity. An audible indicator would be nice.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
For me, a light flash is all you really need, as some older folk here have mentioned, their hearing is not quite as good as it use to be (mine too or is it selective hearing) but noticing the flash of the hazards upon locking is all you really need.

2 Mini's in 20 years
post #6 of 26 Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
The folded mirrors are my tell.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17
post #7 of 26 Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessa View Post
For me, a light flash is all you really need, as some older folk here have mentioned, their hearing is not quite as good as it use to be (mine too or is it selective hearing) but noticing the flash of the hazards upon locking is all you really need.
I'm well past 60, so I'm old I suppose but I really hate the horn beeping when using the key fob on my wife's '04 Jeep Liberty....annoying! I don't even like a little 'beep'. I agree with you...the flash of lights & the clunk of the locking mechanism is plenty good enough for me.
jeremybingham likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorted of sidetracked the thread a bit. I was inquiring about a fix for not ordering the package with the beep as I prefer to have it.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
you can code the alarm to chip on lock/unlock but I agree you dont want the horn part of that.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
Sorted of sidetracked the thread a bit. I was inquiring about a fix for not ordering the package with the beep as I prefer to have it.
Threads have a way of getting off topic...lol! That sounds like a question for your tech at the dealer who is familiar with the alarm system...there might be away to program a chirp into your fob? I wouldn't think that would be too difficult, but then again I hate electronics so I know nothing of such things. Maybe add the alarm? Good luck!
KYDan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page