Active Sound Design (ASD) question - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Active Sound Design (ASD) question

Though this morning's coding efforts, I now have the "MINI engine sounds" settings available to me via the main display. There are four sound options available:
  • The Classic Icon
  • The Rally Champion
  • The Real Getaway
  • The Cheeky Devil

Two quick questions:
  1. Which is the default ASD sound?
  2. I can't seem to tick/check any of them like normal menu items - is this normal?

Thanks

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You propably don't have an asd module in your mini. Those options are useless
post #3 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbing View Post
You propably don't have an asd module in your mini. Those options are useless
Well, I'll be damned! I don't have ASD. Thank you.

I thought it was standard in all F56 sold...obviously not (just double-checked the build in a VIN decoder).

How embarrassing. Certainly explains why my efforts to switch it off didn't seem to make a difference either. Heh!

Live'n'learn and all that.

DJ
KYDan likes this.

post #4 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDJMini View Post
Well, I'll be damned! I don't have ASD. Thank you.

I thought it was standard in all F56 sold...obviously not (just double-checked the build in a VIN decoder).

How embarrassing. Certainly explains why my efforts to switch it off didn't seem to make a difference either. Heh!

Live'n'learn and all that.

DJ
Can you remotely code? I'd be interested if you could.

Former Owner: 2016 F56 Cooper SD - S A/T, Midnight Black, Black Roof & Mirrors, 17" Cosmos Alloys in Black, Cloth/Leatherette Black Pearl Carbon Seats, Piano Black Trim, Carbon Black Colour Line, Chili Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth with USB Audio, Centre Armrest, Chrome Line Interior, Anthracite Headlining, H/K, Visual Boost, Sun Protection Glass, LED Headlights, Folding Mirrors, Model Deletion.

Born: 10th Dec '15 | Delivery: 23rd Dec '15 | Glorious Miles: 11,999 | Rejected: 9th March '17
post #5 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
In danger of incurring the wrath of other engine owners here but sorry just buy a petrol Cooper. The three cylinder sounds amazing . No synthesisers needed.
KYDan likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
In danger of incurring the wrath of other engine owners here but sorry just buy a petrol Cooper. The three cylinder sounds amazing . No synthesisers needed.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Though this morning's coding efforts, I now have the "MINI engine sounds" settings available to me via the main display. There are four sound options available:
  • The Classic Icon
  • The Rally Champion
  • The Real Getaway
  • The Cheeky Devil

Two quick questions:
  1. Which is the default ASD sound?
  2. I can't seem to tick/check any of them like normal menu items - is this normal?

Thanks

DJ
The ASD won't show up on the VIN decoder, but if you have a Cooper S or JCW, you definitely have the ASD.

That being said, that menu doesn't do anything and actually, if you have the menu enabled, it disables the ASD output - you'll hear popping instead of enhanced engine sounds. I think it was an abandoned feature or for demo purposes, but I've never found a way to get it to do anything except break my ASD!

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #8 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
The ASD won't show up on the VIN decoder, but if you have a Cooper S or JCW, you definitely have the ASD.
Ahhh! Yes, I have a Gen3 Cooper S. Will take your word for it that the ASD is there in the back somewhere (I'm not pulling apart the car to look at it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
That being said, that menu doesn't do anything and actually, if you have the menu enabled, it disables the ASD output
Muting the ASD was one of the things I was wanted to do via coding, so what I've achieved is a delightfully effective - and somewhat ironic - "solution".

PS: Only just realised you're probably the same "siriuszero" in the FXX Coding Database application?

DJ
post #9 of 25 Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ahhh! Yes, I have a Gen3 Cooper S. Will take your word for it that the ASD is there in the back somewhere (I'm not pulling apart the car to look at it )

Muting the ASD was one of the things I was wanted to do via coding, so what I've achieved is a delightfully effective - and somewhat ironic - "solution".

PS: Only just realised you're probably the same "siriuszero" in the FXX Coding Database application?

DJ
Yeah, don't try checking! It's behind a door panel and not super easy to get to.

The problem with the using the MINI sounds route to turn off ASD is that it is technically still active, it just gets confused. What I've noticed when I did it to mine is that it will emit speaker pops, which you probably can't hear with music on, but once you hear it, it will drive you insane. Not sure if yours does that, but it definitely happened when I did it.

The "right" way to turn off ASD if you want is to code the following:
In HU_NBT (or equiv) search, "ASD_SOUND_OFF" and change to "aktiv"

I personally hated the quiet and switched it back on, but that's me.

I most likely contributed to the coding database as some point so it may very well be me

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #10 of 25 Old 02-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
I'm really confused, so my F56 JCW has an ASD as a standard? And it is always on? I couldn't find any hint of it at any menu, manual, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page