4Likes
  • 1 Post By polarisboy386
  • 3 Post By jeremybingham

post #1 of 10 Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need some advice on my MINI F56 audio upgrade

I have the MINI cooper 2014(F56) without the H/K option and going to upgrade the audio system in the car but not sure if it worth it or not
here's the speakers my local Focal dealer suggested

Focal Elite ES100K (4") x2 in the rear front doors
Focal Elite ES100K tweeters x2 in A-pillar (which will be drilled or replaced)
IFBMW-C (Plug and Play) x2 in the back seats
Focal Amp FD4.350 (4ch)
Focal Bass box IBUS 20

just wonder if the DSP and head-unit upgrade is needed
or is the kits above already satisfaction-guarantee?
P.S. pls note that my model doesnt come with H/K upgrade at first and didnt upgrade any other parts before (pure stock)

Thank you and would be really appreciated if reply (im really new to car audio upgrading)

Last edited by tanchu; 04-07-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanchu View Post
I have the MINI cooper 2014(F56) without the H/K option and going to upgrade the audio system in the car but not sure if it worth it or not
here's the speakers my local Focal dealer suggested

Focal Elite ES100K (4") x2 in the rear front doors
Focal Elite ES100K tweeters x2 in A-pillar (which will be drilled or replaced)
IFBMW-C (Plug and Play) x2 in the back seats
Focal Amp FD4.350 (4ch)
Focal Bass box IBUS 20

just wonder if the DSP and head-unit upgrade is needed
or is the kits above already satisfaction-guarantee?
P.S. pls note that my model doesnt come with H/K upgrade at first and didnt upgrade any other parts before (pure stock)

Thank you and would be really appreciated if reply (im really new to car audio upgrading)
I'm not familiar with focal too much

Have you checked out https://www.bavsound.com/? The kits are plug and play, they give you your instructions, and there should be no modifications to anything needed in the stereo system.
ZachBartig likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Garage
As above,some threads on here say just upgrading speakers makes little difference. upgrades to amp make the dsp noisy (piped engine noise) unbearable! Hopefully you picked a good dealer with experience who knows what he's doing? Have a trawl on here.
uke, polarisboy386 and tanchu like this.

Surprisingly delighted to have moved to an f54((with a r59 in the fold for fun!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-08-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybingham View Post
As above,some threads on here say just upgrading speakers makes little difference. upgrades to amp make the dsp noisy (piped engine noise) unbearable! Hopefully you picked a good dealer with experience who knows what he's doing? Have a trawl on here.
thank you a lot for your help
so what's your suggestion? should i get a processor?
i have my eyes on the Audison Bit Ten processor , any thought?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage
Cooper or Cooper S?

CURRENT MINI: 2015 Cooper S F55 - "Capella" - Pepper White - Black roof/sport stripes - Black Punch Seats - JCW Ext/Int Kits - Wired/Wired Up/Premium/Cold Packages - Connected XL - DDC - LED Headlights w/Cornering - Park Assist
STATUS: Ordered - 1/16, In Production - 1/23, Completed - 2/3,At Sea - 2/12, Arrival to Port - 3/4, At Dealer - 3/17
Retired:2011 True Blue CM S All4 - "Tachikoma"
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Cooper or Cooper S?
just Cooper
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'd be interested to know if MINI drives the speakers over the databus like VAG does. If that is the case then you aren't going to get the results you are hoping for by swapping speakers.

Personally, I would suggest going with a speaker upgrade package from bavsound or something similar: https://www.bavsound.com/Mini-Speaker-Upgrades
post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Did you check out this company in Holland?

https://www.concept4cars.nl/audio-upgrade-mini-f56/

They use expensive German speakers but I'm sure these sound great. I upgraded my 2014 MCS (HK) with Focal Speakers and Amp(s) and a DSP. When tuned it sounded out of this world. The whole thing cost around $2k CDN. I now have a 2016 and have lived with the stereo for now. Spent my money on making my car go fast....:-)
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by six2one View Post
I'd be interested to know if MINI drives the speakers over the databus like VAG does. If that is the case then you aren't going to get the results you are hoping for by swapping speakers.

Personally, I would suggest going with a speaker upgrade package from bavsound or something similar: https://www.bavsound.com/Mini-Speaker-Upgrades
I ve seen their products and the sound quality is pretty good. However, my model doesnt come with front tweeters and i decide to add them since they are essential in some frequency (IMO).

Thank you for your recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Did you check out this company in Holland?

https://www.concept4cars.nl/audio-upgrade-mini-f56/

They use expensive German speakers but I'm sure these sound great. I upgraded my 2014 MCS (HK) with Focal Speakers and Amp(s) and a DSP. When tuned it sounded out of this world. The whole thing cost around $2k CDN. I now have a 2016 and have lived with the stereo for now. Spent my money on making my car go fast....:-)
I just check them but i dont think i can find any dealer from this company in my country ( . I'm also considering to add a DSP to my setup but not sure if it really help or has any noticable improvement . Would love to hear ur thought on the DSP btw
Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE :
Just got it done yesterday with those Focal speakers i listed above.
Seems to have static sound and shuttering over and over (only noticable if play on high volume) when i play through my iphone 6 (also with other phones) but dont have any issue when play through radio.

Didn't got any issue from the stock speakers though.

Anyone know the causes?
Is it from HU? cable?
Will go check with the dealer soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page