Headlight horizontal control error - 2015 Mini Cooper Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Headlight horizontal control error

I own a 2015 Cooper D
The warning light/triangle has come on a couple of times over the years but always corrected itself
This time itís is on for good.

The headlights no longer do that little flick up and down when activating.
Iíve read here there are some sensors on the from suspension arms that are to do with self levelling and these sometimes become faulty.
I have halogen bulb headlamps and didnít think they were self levelling? I just thought you spin the little wheel button on the dash to alter the beam height.

My question.
If I do have theses sensors/arms mounted on the suspension arm is it easy to diagnose if these are the cause of the problem and are they an easy diy job to change?
(Itís raining and cold this evening so I donít fancy removing the front wheels and crawling around on the floor)

Cheers
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

That should read vertical not horizontal. I got confused from the time I read the error message and starting to tap away on here.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
On F54 the sensor is on the back...the movement is bigger and when the boot is full/heavy the front light beam is tuned.

F54 cooper S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We live in a big world -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photos:
Enjoy this forum!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
A couple of services ago my dealer informed me that the plastic rods that perform the levelling can stick, they claim it is a common problem across all models of Mini, but not been reported on this forum as common. My dealers solution was to lubricate the rods.

2016 F54 Clubman Cooper S
JCW Chilli Pack
Driver Assistance Pack
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.
This morning started the engine the lights flicked up and down but at different levels.
I span the adjustment wheel to try and get them at the same level but when they got to the top setting (passenger side at least) they stoped moving altogether and the warning light reappeared.

I took both front wheels off and there wasn't a levelling sensor present (just a vacant bracket) on I think the driver side. (no matter anyway). I checked the lamp units for water leaks, spotted the small electric motors in the housing and sprayed a little silicone spray, plus checked the electrical sockets for water ingress etc.

I will now check the rear of the car for sensors as per AarnMunro's comments.
About the same time time this all started I did carry a few bags of gravel in the back (about the same weight as two fat ladies). this might have been the trigger point for the issue.

back to the garage and jack.
Cheers.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

No sensor mounted on the rear of vehicle therefore must be faulty motor(s) in headlamp units.

If I don't get flashed by oncoming vehicles I'll live with the little yellow warning triangle for the moment. It's an expensive fix for functionality I've never used. The height setting has always been set at "2" since I've owned the vehicle and it clearly doesn't have an auto levelling system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2015 Mini Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page