Mini Cooper Forum banner

Manual or Auto advice sought

21K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Koci 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm all ready to order my brand new JCW but I'm not sure which transmission to go with. My local dealer only had a manual demonstrator and said that an auto will be in sometime late November. I don't really want to wait that long to place my order.

I liked the manual, the rev match made me sound like a pro driver. However I quite often sit in stop start traffic in my R53 JCW and due to years of playing rugby whitch has led to 3 knee operations so far, I find constant clutch work causes me some discomfort, even on my light clutched X-Trail. Therefore I always said I'd consider an auto box for my next car if they were any good.

So question is; is it any good?

On paper it looks great, but does it change gear quickly and respond quickly when you use the paddles? I've driven some awful paddle shifts before that seem to have an age between using the paddle and the gears changing.

#2 ·
Like you, I have issues with my knees, and a few years ago I was in a lot of pain whilst in my R56 JCW stuck on the M42, so I can appreciate your problem.

I tried an R56 auto and to be blunt, it was just pants, so my head was turned and I ended up with a BMW M135i which was superb, and the auto box a delight to use. However I wanted another Mini, so tested the F56 JCW auto, and what a revelation!!

I now have my F56 auto and wouldn't have it any other way. It allows me to drive "normally" in normal modes but when I want some fun, I hit Sport, knock the lever to the left and drive it fully manual on the paddles which is the same as I used to drive the 135. Not only is it rewarding as I decide when to change up or down, but I can do so with both hands still on the wheel. Manual lovers will tell you that there is more involvement with the manual, but I just don't see it to be honest, and I'm a true petrol head...

The specs say it's quicker and more fuel efficient than the manual, but it does have a couple of drawbacks. When in manual at traffic lights I sometimes forget I have to change up, and if you are in to modding your car, the auto box can't take as much torque as the manual.

Personally I can't see me going back to a manual again as long as the car changes gear quickly when I ask it to. Fortunately the Mini does, and I love my JCW, and I would have to spend a lot more money to get something else that makes me feel like this when I drive.

Steve

#3 ·
Thanks. I was worried that with it not being a dual clutch box that it would be a little bit slow and delayed on the changes, but BMW did have the fastest single clutch boxes with their SMG transmissions, so if some of that has found its way to the Mini then I'll be happy. I'm also trying to find a dealer with an auto JCW to try. Is this auto box also on the non JCW minis?

#4 ·
I think it's the same box as on the Cooper S.

Shop around for a dealer with a JCW Auto to test, as you won't get the same sound effects on the Cooper S (unless it has that very special JCW Pro exhaust fitted).

Where abouts are you based ?

#6 ·
I live in Uxbridge and would be happy to take you for a spin in mine. Other than that, Berry Heathrow have a JCW Auto demo car, Chiswick may as well but as the Heathrow showroom is just around the corner from me I know those guys well.

If you're in Surrey, are you aware of the Surrey New Mini club ? One of the most active owners clubs in the country...

#7 ·
Have to agree with Jelster and add a wee point.

Our JCW is my wifes car, and despite us being major petrolheads, we decided on the Auto (and not to wait for the Manual) for a pretty simple reason. Off the mark it is quicker. We all know the Auto is 0.2s faster to 62mph, fair doos, but the place it's really really quick is 0-15mph. This, in Belgium, where using indicators is either a sign of weakness or too much of a hassle to do while you're on your phone and NOBODY can indicate properly on a roundabout, that ability to zoom out into a gap that isn't really there is awesome.

My S8 has the famous 8 speed ZF auto which everyone raves as the best auto 'box in the world, and the JCW is just as quick, very very nearly as smooth. I think it's magic.

Oh, is Chandlers in Halisham too far? They have an Auto JCW demo as far as I know.

#20 ·
The car I am trading in for my JCW is a BMW M135i with the same (amazing) ZF AT that is in your S8. Though I love manuals and had an amazing 6 speed in my previous car (Megane RS Trophy), I live in congested downtown Tokyo and use my car to commute every single day. I found the ZF transmission in the M135i even better than any of the single or dual clutch systems I previously owned (PDK in my Boxster S, DSG in my Gti and Selespeed in my 147GTA).

I am giving all this background because I want to say that I am speaking from long previous experience with different kinds of sports cars with paddle shift transmissions when I say that the JCW AT really and truly nailed it with this one. Though it only has 6 speeds, I found both the ratios as well as the almost instant response times going both up and down the gears to be an almost perfect match for the feisty 231hp engine. To tell the truth, though I have test-driven every previous generation of JCW, it was not until driving the F56 with AT that I had my "OMG this is the car for me" moment! :)

Car arrives in a few hours - will make a much fuller post on my impressions after I have thrashed it around for a few days up in my favorite mountain twisties... :)

#8 ·
Another thumbs up for the auto here, although the others have described it well. Im in an S rather than a JCW but the sport box is the same. It offers the best of both worlds and loses none of the mini character. You can double or triple dip on the levers or the sequential lever and its straight there. Good point on the 0-15 as well, far quicker than a manual.

In pottering mode it will change gears at surprisingly low revs but the harder you press, the longer it builds between shifts. In sport mode it stretches the changes out further and gives plenty of oral feedback

#10 ·
You need somebody "from the other side"........I have one of the first manual JCW's produced out of the Oxford plant, and I waited "months" for it to arrive. I'm glad I waited instead of buying the auto...not really even a consideration for me.

But, as I've said before, the auto is a fantastic transmission (if that's what you want). However, I have to laugh about the auto being 0.2 sec faster, like anybody can really tell the difference or even drives to the limit all the time.

As for being fully engaged with the car, the manual is the way to go...only way the auto keeps you fully engaged is if you are driving at the limit on twisties...then it's awesome. Otherwise it's, well, a bit "boring". :)

Buy a manual and shift and downshift "when you want to" not when the car wants to!

The JCW is a great car, even if you just look at it - regardless of transmission choice! Drive both, and I mean "really drive" both, before making a decision.

Good Luck,

John

Reactions: Spyderman
#11 ·
Buy a manual and shift and downshift "when you want to" not when the car wants to!
John, I've never been refused a downshift by the JCW, and as you have probably guessed, I do drive like a maniac quite often :)

The only refusal that the Auto box will give is when changing down at the specific roadspeed would put your rpm way above 9k (so stopping you from lunching the engine!). Remember, the JCW auto box happily lets you bounce off the redline should that be your wish.

#12 · (Edited)
Auto on the JCW is incredible. It has soooo much torque all through the range that there is no advantage to a manual. Green mode is sluggish to conserve fuel. Kick the lever to the left, turn on Dynamic Traction control and place it in sport mode and be prepared to be thrilled and your passengers to feel sick.

When pushing it - Having two hands on the wheel is a necessity with this demon beast. And let's face all race cars have shift paddles for the same reason - keep your hands on the wheel!

Shifting in manual mode is as instantaneous as it gets - no delays ever - in manual mode the HUD shift lights will warn you when it is time to shift but if you follow them through more than a couple of gears you will find yourself at over 130mph in very short order.

#13 ·
Love my auto box and as above you can change gears when you want it will only assist if you slow down from say 70 to zero it will drop it down if engine is labouring also for me choosing auto was better mpg plus cheaper road tax plus it's faster lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Just my thoughts.........we could argue all day about preferences but in the end it comes down to personal choice and what suits you. A test drive in both will make up your mind. Having had a manual MCS and now an auto JCW (1st ever auto) I know what I love and have no regrets.

As far as the argument re interaction goes I cant see how anyone would get bored with a chance to have 4 gearbox options in one to play with:D :D

The other main point of course is cost difference.......you do save a bit on tax and fuel(supposedly) to offset auto price but there again it is so quick of the line even without a Racechip >:D

#19 · (Edited)
Just my thoughts.........we could argue all day about preferences but in the end it comes down to personal choice and what suits you. A test drive in both will make up your mind. Having had a manual MCS and now an auto JCW (1st ever auto) I know what I love and have no regrets.

As far as the argument re interaction goes I cant see how anyone would get bored with a chance to have 4 gearbox options in one to play with:D :D

The other main point of course is cost difference.......you do save a bit on tax and fuel(supposedly) to offset auto price but there again it is so quick of the line even without a Racechip >:D
You're right Davo. I seem to always take alot of heat for my preference for the manual transmission, and I know it's indeed all about preference. I have often admitted that I only spent about 15 minutes behind the wheel of an automatic F56 JCW before my Motoring Advisor probably decided to take over the wheel and show me what the car was capable of! :D

And, I loved it....but the whole paddle shift thing was so foreign to me I couldn't see myself in a JCW with an automatic. Actually, by that test drive time, I had already ordered my JCW manual anyway. Sometimes it's all about timing & the availability of cars to test drive....and there were no JCW manuals anywhere in the world on dealer lots in those early days this past Spring.

This was the first new car I'd bought in over 20 years, and I wanted to go where my comfort level was.....a lot of high tech stuff on these new cars...some of it's good, some not so good imo.

Then, there was the problem with MINI not offering the manual transmission "at all" for several months in 2015, while the optional automatic was being produced by the 100's or 1000's. I thought this was due to "marketing", and that may be partly true. But, I now believe that Getrag didn't have the manual transmission sorted quite right before JCW production began in the Spring of 2015. I was told this by a MINI mechanic friend of mine.

As it ended up, I own 1 of 37 JCW's with manual transmission imported to the USA as a 2015 JCW, while something like 360 JCW automatics were imported in 2015. So, apparently due to the timing of the manual, I at least own a rare car!

Now, you know the story why I am so outspoken about the manual. Some of this was not self-imposed, but also the result of circumstances.

I still love the manual, but given more time with an automatic my story may have a different ending!

For now, I love all the new JCW's regardless of which options owners choose. Outstanding machines they are! :)

Cheers,

John

#22 ·
Sorry for reopening the debate on 'Manual vs Auto' transmissions for the Mini and which suits the car's overall personality. My Mini JCW auto (6 Speed) has been in the dealership for a couple of days having some warranty work done to it.

I was loaned a new Mini Cooper (3 cylinder, 1.5 I believe) and I must say I LOVE IT! I never thought I would say this over my JCW. Why may you ask, I think this? Well, it just brings me back to my love of the Mini back many years ago when I had my mustard colour 1972 850 and a black 1979 1275GT. The noise of the new cooper's engine (thrum of the 3 cylinder), using the manual gearbox and revving it high through the gears towards 4k to 5.5k RPM to get it up to speed, chucking it around corners etc.

Now part of this euphoria could be because the cooper is new to me, and possibly because I don't really care for it as its not my car, so I may have this carefree attitude whilst driving it. Going back to the auto JCW, I can't really fault the car and the auto gear box (especially being stuck in traffic most days), as you know, the manual mode is fast and involving. I love driving the cooper because you don't reach ridiculous speeds in it, whilst city driving as you do with the JCW.

Driving the JCW in the city feels like your trying to contain a wild animal trying to escape, I maybe driving it the wrong way, but I am always fighting with the brakes, gears to keep me below the speed limit and stop me back ending the car in front.

I do find the natural sound of the 3 cylinder thrum in the Cooper entertaining and it helps when knowing when to change gear - its all an experience!

When I take possession of my JCW later today, I will if driving differently will make me happier. Driving the Cooper for a couple of days feels like meeting a person on holiday and falling in love with someone younger, and less experienced and I feel guilty! What I am trying to get at, its not always the top end speed, 0-60 times, refinement but the overall theater of driving which newer cars sadly are losing. I suppose it could be called nostalgia.

#23 ·
What I am trying to get at, its not always the top end speed, 0-60 times, refinement but the overall theater of driving which newer cars sadly are losing. I suppose it could be called nostalgia.
This is why the Mazda MX-5 has sold so well over the years, nothing to do with outright performance more to do with driver engagement/enjoyment.

If you can find a car that makes you want to just go out for a drive then thats what make the difference.

#25 ·
I know that we keep saying it, but the MINI's 1.5 3 cylinder engine is a peach. In terms of it's sound and the way it delivers it's relatively modest output, it's one of the best features of our F54 Cooper, especially when sharpened-up in Sport mode. 16k miles in and hasn't missed a beat. :)

#26 ·
It's funny. I had a regular F56 Cooper manual for two years before I got my JCW auto a year ago. I loooooove my JCW, super fun and awesome but a part of me also really misses the Cooper with manual. It was just so good. So good that it was why I wanted more.

To be honest, if someone wanted my advice, even with my love of the JCW, I'd suggest go for the Cooper as a manual.

#27 · (Edited)
Yes, I agree totally with the previous two comments. Its not always about speed and BHP/Torque figures. It about revving high through the gears, the sound and the rawness which gives you the overall satisfaction. I was going to have my JCW auto remapped, but after driving the relatively lower powered Cooper, it reminded me, that its how you work the engine and the transmission to get the most out of it. I am worried that by getting my JCW tuned for an extra 40+ bhp etc may have the opposite effect, what do you think?

I think in the future when I do eventually part with my fantastic JCW (I do love it don't get me wrong), I will think long and hard before opting for just the highest base figures on the spec sheet.

#28 ·
I have a Cooper S LCI, and it is a manual. Before I bought my Cooper S, I did a few test drives in them, but all of them were sport automatics.
I did not like them, because I didn't had a connection with the car.

Last monday I drove a JCW with sport automatic, and with a JCW Pro Exhaust!
I was awesome! But again, I didn't had a connection with the car. And I really thought that my Cooper S felt quicker than the JCW!

I really like the feeling of the Manuel, smashing true the gears!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

#29 ·
I bought JCW (231hp) clubman for my wife. She did not care about engine and transmission but the color and brand was important for her. So I selected JCW with manual to have also some fun for me. I have autos on other cars - Maserati Quatroporte (400hp) and Audi A6 (350hp) so manual option was what I was looking for. I have to say that JCW with manual is really wonderfull. I envy this car to my wife.:) I do not care about 0.2 slower acceleration or higher fuel consumption. The car is expensive so fuel consumption itself does not play any role.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.