Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I've been quoted £800 by Mini Hindhead to respray my door, there's no dents its just a straight respray. Am I being taken for a ride? - I've never had to do anything like this before.

Thanks
J

P.S. - For those of you wondering...My neighbours' son decided to help people on the street get the bird c**p off their cars when we were at work. He had only ruined my door with a kitchen sponge before he was stopped, so suppose we all got off easy?! :( I can't ask them to pay as they couldn't afford to, and I'm afraid to claim on insurance as I need my no claims.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Morning all,

I've been quoted £800 by Mini Hindhead to respray my door, there's no dents its just a straight respray. Am I being taken for a ride? - I've never had to do anything like this before.

Thanks
J

P.S. - For those of you wondering...My neighbours' son decided to help people on the street get the bird c**p off their cars when we were at work. He had only ruined my door with a kitchen sponge before he was stopped, so suppose we all got off easy?! :( I can't ask them to pay as they couldn't afford to, and I'm afraid to claim on insurance as I need my no claims.
:(£800 definitely sounds expensive so I'd get another quote from a good body shop and then question Mini's quote if it's a lot more. I had to have my rear bumper resprayed by Mini under warranty as the paint started flaking off. They did a good job and they offer a long 10 year guarantee as long as you return the car annually for an inspection plus it doesn't affect the cars warrantee. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:(£800 definitely sounds expensive so I'd get another quote from a good body shop and then question Mini's quote if it's a lot more. I had to have my rear bumper resprayed by Mini under warranty as the paint started flaking off. They did a good job and they offer a long 10 year guarantee as long as you return the car annually for an inspection plus it doesn't affect the cars warrantee. :)
Yeah I think that's a sensible plan! Didn't know about that guarantee...definitely means I'm keen to have it done buy Mini regardless now!!

Thanks for the reply Dave!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there no way it could be machine polished off? Got a picture? Could maybe get a local detailing company to have a look at it an see what they could do?
To be fair to the dealer, they did say they could try polish it out (for another extortionate £150) but said as its quite deep there's little chance it would get back to normal. I might ask them to polish it then send me pics to decide what to do.

Its hard to get a decent pic but here's my best shots

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be fair to the dealer, they did say they could try polish it out (for another extortionate £150) but said as its quite deep there's little chance it would get back to normal. I might ask them to polish it then send me pics to decide what to do.

Its hard to get a decent pic but here's my best shots
Oh my god! That's horrific!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
With a previous MINI a reputable Body Shop quoted me £800 but that included the cost of a new door at £260 so your figure sounds a bit steep.

Worth speaking to a Professional Detailer however it's a metallic colour and the clear lacquer has taken a hammering a re-spray might be your only option :(

Regards Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could be wrong, but I doubt Mini will do the respray. They will just send it out to a body shop they use. So you are paying markup on the cost for the body shop. Just find a good body shop and don't pay Mini's markup. Polishing could take it out but the paint will be very thin there afterwards.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I could be wrong, but I doubt Mini will do the respray. They will just send it out to a body shop they use. So you are paying markup on the cost for the body shop. Just find a good body shop and don't pay Mini's markup. Polishing could take it out but the paint will be very thin there afterwards.
Agreed. MINI Service departments outsource much of their work that doesn't fall under basic mechanical - painting, clear bras, tinting, etc. They get a discounted price from the 3rd party and markup to the customer. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - you get to deal with the dealer instead of strangers, they can usually provide loaners, etc. You will usually get a better price by dealing directly with the vendor, in this case, a reputable body/paint shop.

Reactions: j0nack3rs

·
Registered
8 Posts
A word of warning.
From experience
All dealers farm out body work!
!Hindsight!

My wife damaged the door on her BMW after 2 years, so i insisted she had it fixed by BMW.
3 years later the rust came through
BMW response .

I wasn't done by us we farmed it out!!
If you want a good job done, then spend money with a known good local bodywork shop. (self owned)

You gain nothing from getting a main dealer to spray your car!
Not a rant just my 2d worth,
Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can't believe how badly one of my local BMW dealers farmed out painters were: they lied time and time again, and took a month to paint my front bumper to what I thought was an acceptable standard (only to be shocked with runs in the paint under then numberplate ). I will never buy a car from that dealer again.

My closet BMW dealer has their own paint shop, and you can watch work being carried out in their viewing gallery. I have never had a complaint with them, and so they where chosen as the supplier of my Mini.

PS I would get it looked at by a professional detailer, and only paint if they say they can't restore.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I personally think from those pictures it can easily be machine polished out, doesn't look like it's broken through the lacquer to the paint yet. If you live near me I will do it free. Also not sure if he's close to you but if he is phone up SL Restorations. I had a detailing day up there a while ago, by far the most professional setup I've seen. He is also the bodyshop that porche, bently etc use regularly. Infact that's the only cars he had up there when I went up. So would guarantee to be far better than any Bmw, mini body shop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Morning all,

Thanks
J

Check your neighbor's insurance. Or just polish the door.>:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mini Hindhead have there own bodyshop on site, if they are going to to the job properly they would most likely have quoted to blend the adjacent panels to get the colour match as it is metalic, strip the 3 panels completely and replace any trims etc which normally break upon removal, total hours for the job would be about 8 hours plus parts and paint, at the rates they charge it is probably about right, weather they do it that way is another matter, looks like it should polish to me though!
10 years previously running a bodyshop.

·
Registered
966 Posts
From the pics I'd say a detailer could machine polish that to a standard that you'd never notice anything was ever wrong.

I would be asking you neighbour to contribute towards the cost, but if it needs paint then I would go through the insurance. Best bet would be to ask them to pay half your excess or the cost of the polishing, wee lad will miss out on pocket money for a while;)

Even if you lose a years no claims, it's not going to cost you £800 in the long run unless you're being shafted for insurance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A word of warning.
From experience
All dealers farm out body work!
!Hindsight!

My wife damaged the door on her BMW after 2 years, so i insisted she had it fixed by BMW.
3 years later the rust came through
BMW response .

I wasn't done by us we farmed it out!!
If you want a good job done, then spend money with a known good local bodywork shop. (self owned)

You gain nothing from getting a main dealer to spray your car!
Not a rant just my 2d worth,
Mike
Not all dealers farm out body and paint work, Lloyd Mini in Carlisle are part of the large Cumbrian Lloyd group and they have a very high tech body and paint shop and they provide the 10 year guarantee. I had my poor faulty rear bumper paintwork on my new MC rectified by them under warrantee and I was 100% satisfied with the finish and paint match. :)
So I'd first check and view the place where you are having the work done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not all BMW dealers farm out.

I had my previous 1 series resprayed in several locations by the dealership I bought from (and subsequently bought the F56 from) after a few dents and scrapes, and each time they did it in their own approved bodyshop (I went to visit to drop off paperwork etc).

The work they did was first class too - even my dad was impressed (and he has an eye for bodywork imperfections). And the colour was Valencia orange which is a darker shade than our volcanic orange, and metallic too. The colour match was perfect.

They weren't cheap though, I had a scuff on a bumper that cost me £400ish to respray (that's a new plastic bumper + paint and blending). I had a quote from a local workshop at half that price, but the guy had a beard and was stroking it in a manner that made me wary - he said he would use original BMW paint and parts, but couldn't tell me what the colour code was for Valencia orange, even using his computer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.