Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2014 Mini Cooper D and yesterday I installed some black UJ taillights. I’ve read in a few places that there are sometimes some warning lights/coding issues when using these lights, however I bought these off a genuine and respectable website that claimed these lights don’t need coding and don’t have warning light problems.
They’re simple plug and play and all lights work perfectly APART FROM the reverse light.
At first, I thought it was just going to be a warning light that just needs coding out, however the reverse light on my car actually isn’t working and I’m unsure why.
So apologies if these questions are ridiculous, I’m only just starting out with getting into cars so I’m still pretty clueless and I’m anxiously waiting for the company I bought them from to reply to my email, but:
  • does anyone know whether I can easily find out whether my car actually has a reverse light to begin with? (I’d never noticed beforehand if it did or not and I assume by the warning light that it does)
  • is it a legal requirement to have a reverse light? (Again, I’ve read that it isn’t, and that some cars have one light and some have two etc.)
  • could this be an issue resolved through BimmerCode?

I’m sorry if these questions are daft, I’m just sweating over the £360 I spent on these lights, as well as money I spent on light surround covers for the car that don’t fit properly😓

thank you!!

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
I'm assuming you checked the bulbs in the new lights - the UJs are led but still use the halogen bulbs, maybe these are meant to be swapped out of your old lights into new ones?
If bulbs are present i'd swap the lights back to the old ones to check the rev lights work on them, if they do then it's a fault with the new lights.
If the rev lights don't work on the old lights either then it could be the rev light switch on the gearbox that's faulty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you checked the bulbs in the new lights - the UJs are led but still use the halogen bulbs, maybe these are meant to be swapped out of your old lights into new ones?
If bulbs are present i'd swap the lights back to the old ones to check the rev lights work on them, if they do then it's a fault with the new lights.
If the rev lights don't work on the old lights either then it could be the rev light switch on the gearbox that's faulty
Hey thanks for getting back to me

I finally got round to doing what you suggested. Put my old reverse bulb in the UJ light fixtures and still no luck. Tightened them up, swapped them around, did everything imaginable with the bulb itself and the plug and nothing worked.
Put the old light fixtures in and the reverse lights still work perfectly.
Was the safest move for me to just leave my old light fixtures in and keep the UJ lights off until I can find out what’s wrong with them. No reverse light is way more dangerous than I’d initially thought and the plastic surrounds, covers and clips on the lights won’t last long if I keep swapping them over all the time!
So still open to ideas on how to get them working!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get a refund. If they’re advertised as plug and play you shouldn’t have to mess about with coding. You can get genuine ones from eBay for just over 200, they’ll need coding but even after adding in BimmerCode and obd reader you’ll have saved about £100.

btw having a reverse light out is a major fail now on MOT I think.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
Yep if the rev lights aren't working on the new lights but are on the old ones then it's definately a problem with the lights if they're advertised as plug and play with no coding required - get a refund and buy genuine ones a lot cheaper. If someone is local with Bimmercode they may code them for you (not sure where you are?) or to buy an adapter (£20-£40) and Bimmercode ap (£31) you can do the coding yourself (it's so easy i managed it).

as well as money I spent on light surround covers for the car that don’t fit properly😓 - are these genuine surrounds? how are they not fitting properly?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts