Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I read the B38 required 5w-30. There is a sticker under my 2016's hood that clearly states 0w-20. I called the dealer and they asked for the vin because somewhere down the line the oil spec changed. This is a California car so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if the motor had changes made to it. My car will be tuned and I will do all the maintenance myself (I just do not trust dealers) so i want to run a robust oil. They would not give me a explanation as to why the change. Please school me on the oil requirements for this motor.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Cant explain why the manufacturer would change the recommended oil spec unless they found issues with the existing spec and decided not to tell anyone about (recall?)

Generally speaking the grade of the oil eg 0W-20 is the grade of oil is influenced for certain operating temperatures. The lower the number the thinner the oil specifically for really cold regions and really tight engines. Oil requires it to be 'tacky' for it to work best in the engine and lubricate the necessary components. A slightly heavier grade such as 5W-30 is for more warmer climates.

0W or 5W is when the car is cold and the oil needs to run through fast to pick up heat to make it more tacky. If you use a too heavy or light oil for the engine, then it wont get the required lubrication it needs. how tight the engine is and where you live can determine the grade of oil you use. The other descriptions on the oil spec are the additives used etc that are more designed to suit that engine.

That is as far as my knowledge goes. It's a complex world out their when it comes to lubrication. As the slogan goes - oils ain't oils.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant explain why the manufacturer would change the recommended oil spec unless they found issues with the existing spec and decided not to tell anyone about (recall?)

Generally speaking the grade of the oil eg 0W-20 is the grade of oil is influenced for certain operating temperatures. The lower the number the thinner the oil specifically for really cold regions and really tight engines. Oil requires it to be 'tacky' for it to work best in the engine and lubricate the necessary components. A slightly heavier grade such as 5W-30 is for more warmer climates.

0W or 5W is when the car is cold and the oil needs to run through fast to pick up heat to make it more tacky. If you use a too heavy or light oil for the engine, then it wont get the required lubrication it needs. how tight the engine is and where you live can determine the grade of oil you use. The other descriptions on the oil spec are the additives used etc that are more designed to suit that engine.

That is as far as my knowledge goes. It's a complex world out their when it comes to lubrication. As the slogan goes - oils ain't oils.
I understand oils very clearly. My questions was why did they change the spec and if anyone knew why? I find it strange that mid year it goes from 5w-30 to 0w-20. It could be a emissions thing who knows

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Sorry Steve I miss read your question. I would imagine the 0W-20 would be the run in oil but it seems very light for ongoing use and particularly for where you live.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
They don't use run in oil; factory fill for the duration till the first service; first i'd heard of 0-20 oil though and like you i would be VERY suspicious esp in a hot country/ area -that might be an oil more suited to iceland! or Alaska. 0w 30 or 5 w30 for me in the uk. What does the printed hand book say? Mini have changed from castrol (5w 30edge was factory fill ) to shell; don't see why the spec should change though my dealer was advocating 0w30!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My Independent BMW mechanic recommends Lubromoly 5W-40 in all the BMW's & Mini's that he works on. I understand it meets the MINI spec as well. I am contemplating going with this oil & grade (it is one of the recommended ranges in the Owner's Manual too as I recall). The B48 engine tends to run hot, so I can't see an issue at all going with the 40 grade for the upper limit. I'm still researching tough....no oil changes yet on my 2015 JCW. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
The printed and electronic iPad manual both state either SAE 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-40, or 5W-30. Personally I use 5W-30 in my 2015 MCS and in my 2003 R50. I would say pick one of those based on your weather conditions and as long as it meets BMW specs you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I m with desert r here. Wouldn't touch 0 w20 unless I was in a very very cold country! Llo4 ace a c oil in the above grades should be fine!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Gen1's used to use 5W30 then around the Gen2 time it went to 0W30 both Castrol Edge and as said it's now Shell (I guess Shell gave a better deal or they wouldn't have changed) Not sure what the Gen3 is but assume the same 0W30, 5W30 would also do here in the UK.

I'm another one who wouldn't use 0W20!

BTW what a fluff it is to check the oil level, whatever is wrong with a dipstick?

·
Registered
77 Posts
BMW has a long history of oil controversy like recommendations for M car engines changing from 5W30 to 10W60 and then back depending on year. Keep in mind that the core MINI spec High Temp High Shear (HTHS) viscosity for various world wide service was previously 3.5 mPas. A decent 0W20 oil will be about 2.6 -2.7 measured the same way so it's not instant grim reaper for your engine! On the other hand I don't think any Dakar teams will be running 0W20 next year >:D

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
When I got my car back from engine replacement I was told that the spec had been changed to 0W20. After 1200 miles I changed it and used Mobil 1 0W40 Euro Spec. Just got the car back from some other warranty work and they did the annual oil change using 0W20. In 5K miles I'll change it using 0W40 again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts