Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yip a week old tomorrow and i'm so so glad i purchased the sd. Every time i drive her i just canny stop smiling. The sd engine is so quiet and i honestly can't tell its a diesel from inside cabin. The quality of materials is just so up on my previous car a cooper clubman D. The power difference is so vast as well and so smooth in delivery.

Anyone who is contemplating a new F55 or F56 just go and have a test drive and i'm sure you will end up buying,Bloomin marvelous machines they are

·
Registered
234 Posts
On my test drive, what surprised me was how like a diesel the petrol engines are. I could pull off on the clutch alone and everything, there was no gassing whilst engaging the clutch, just like driving a diesel. And the power, oh my days. This was just the Cooper!

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
I know torque and speed of my petrol cooper never ceases to amaze me. Just gone up markham moor hill in 6th and it was still accelerating at the top,could swear it's as quick as my vw golf r32. Amazing engine just love it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know torque and speed of my petrol cooper never ceases to amaze me. Just gone up markham moor hill in 6th and it was still accelerating at the top,could swear it's as quick as my vw golf r32. Amazing engine just love it!
Never had anything with oomph before Jeremy,yeah the clubman was a nice car with a bit of power,but the sd just blows it and any other car i had AWAY. I kept deciding between the new cooper d and the sd, but i thought you know its a one time deal for me so sod it im getting the sd. And im just so glad i did choose this one. I dont need the pops and bangs of the s i just wanted something that similar in performance to it and i got that..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked the sound from the r32 lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was impressed, the on ramp to the A45, which is where I took my test drive, is steep, and the petrol in fifth gear (this was before I noticed a 6th gear when the car was asking for it) at relatively low revs just kept accelerating! I've never known this from a Petrol. This was just the none "S" MINI Cooper. I can't wait for in two years time when they phone me up offering me the SD if I give them back my eagerly awaited MCD.

I'd test drive one but I'll probably end up regretting not going for the SD in the first place, so what I don't know won't hurt me lol. My worry though, because the test drive was in a petrol MC, which is 134bhp, is that my 114bhp MCD will be somewhat lacking in comparison. Can anyone put that worry to rest? ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was impressed, the on ramp to the A45, which is where I took my test drive, is steep, and the petrol in fifth gear (this was before I noticed a 6th gear when the car was asking for it) at relatively low revs just kept accelerating! I've never known this from a Petrol. This was just the none "S" MINI Cooper. I can't wait for in two years time when they phone me up offering me the SD if I give them back my eagerly awaited MCD.

I'd test drive one but I'll probably end up regretting not going for the SD in the first place, so what I don't know won't hurt me lol. My worry though, because the test drive was in a petrol MC, which is 134bhp, is that my 114bhp MCD will be somewhat lacking in comparison. Can anyone put that worry to rest? ;)
9.2 0-60 aint no slouch,once them rpm's rise above 1500 you shall be flying along

·
Registered
61 Posts
Test drove 136hp petrol, 116hp diesel and the MCS before i buying the MCD. The 1,5 petrol and diesel are equaly slow, (performance figures also confirms this).

I would not call 9,2 sec 0-60mph fast (this is one of the slowest cars I've ever owned), but for what it is it feels surprisingly quick.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Test drove 136hp petrol, 116hp diesel and the MCS before i buying the MCD. The 1,5 petrol and diesel are equaly slow, (performance figures also confirms this).

I would not call 9,2 sec 0-60mph fast (this is one of the slowest cars I've ever owned), but for what it is it feels surprisingly quick.
My previous cars have been:
2001 Peugeot 206 D LX, 1.9, 70bhp 0-60 in 14.8 seconds.
2007 Vauxhall Astra SRi, 1.7CDTi, 98bhp 0-60 in 11.4 seconds
2012 Vauxhall Corsa SRi, 1.4, 98bhp 0-60 in 11.5 seconds
2010 Ford Focus Zetec, 1.6TDCi, 107bhp... 0-60 in 10.6 seconds

Believe it or not, a 9.1 second (mine will be manual gearbox) 1.5l 3-cylinder diesel engine is a definite improvement on my history. It makes me feel happy that someone, like you, who is used to quicker cars, is saying that it surprises them how quick it feels. My next MINI will be an 'S' model, when I get the call in two years time. But for now, as long as it feels quick, I'm happy :) I need to consider the economics too, so the 76.3mpg combined (with 16" wheels) was too good to pass up.

Saying that, even the SD's 65+mpg combined is an improvement on all my previous cars, I just downgraded my selection because I had a budget and wanted to add about £4k's worth of extras. Next time around, I'll be better prepared!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Isn't the cooper petrol 8.2 seconds 0-60? (That's what is published on mini.co.uk website)

Agree that's not fast, my toy does a sub 4 ;-)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Love these forums... The enthusiasm from other owners gets the excitement going! Looking forward to road trips in our 5 door, its all about the fun-factor!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Then you will most certainly find the MCD quick enough, no need to worry :)

It is possible that the petrol is rated as a bit quicker 0-60 but they feel the same. I'm also no fan of the 1,5 petrol sound, the diesel is really quiet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Isn't the cooper petrol 8.2 seconds 0-60? (That's what is published on mini.co.uk website)

Agree that's not fast, my toy does a sub 4 ;-)
I checked on the Mini Website and on Parkers (don't know if that is known outside of the UK, and I was quoting the diesel, specifically the "1.5 Cooper D Hatchback (Chili/Media Pack XL) 5d".

The petrol equivalent; "1.5 Cooper Hatchback (Chili/Media Pack XL) 5d", is 7.9 seconds, 134bhp.

Then you will most certainly find the MCD quick enough, no need to worry :)

It is possible that the petrol is rated as a bit quicker 0-60 but they feel the same. I'm also no fan of the 1,5 petrol sound, the diesel is really quiet.
Now that I can't believe, the Diesel is quieter than the Petrol? No way! :) I do hope that is right though, Diesel noise can be a bit distracting at 70mph on the motorway when you're trying to talk, from past experience. But thank you for quelling my worries :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
9.2 0-60 aint no slouch,once them rpm's rise above 1500 you shall be flying along
I'm gonna be driving like my nan for the first 1,200 miles, stupid bedding in period. :D So I won't be able to tell for the first month or so lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Believe it! :) The diesel is quieter than the petrol. On the petrol there is no doubt that the engine is a 3cyl (sounds like a Aygo). But on the diesel this is almost impossible to hear because its so quiet.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Believe it! :) The diesel is quieter than the petrol. On the petrol there is no doubt that the engine is a 3cyl (sounds like a Aygo). But on the diesel this is almost impossible to hear because its so quiet.
My Cooper doesn't sound anything like any of the three cylinder Toyotas I have owned!
I actually quite liked their sound but the Cooper is something else when you give it a bit of urge..lovely noise, major selling point of the petrol Cooper IMO.
Very quiet when cruising though, which is what you want.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts