Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Firstly I apologise if this has already been covered somewhere but I've searched for 45 minutes on this forum, MINI website and Google and cannot get the answer!

12V Power Sockets - How many will I get in a Cooper S? Crucially, will there be one in the boot? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of installing a rear facing dash cam to compliment the one that will be in the front, but don't fancy tracking a wire from the rear camera to the front of the car, so having a 12V socket in the boot would be ideal, otherwise I'll just do without the rear camera!

Many thanks,

Pedro

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have an MCS, USA version, and there is no 12V power in the boot. But then I have no interior options at all. Apparently there's an option$ package that includes the 12 boot outlet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a MCD in Australia and i do have a power outlet in the boot, However i have every option in the book, also MINIs in aus come as a slightly higher spec as standard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
got a 5 door MCSD and yes, it does have a power outlet in the boot - just under the removable sill on the right hand side. I'm in the UK.

Reactions: Pedro

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies people.
@Sunster - Did you have to specify a particular option to get the 12V in the boot? i.e. Chili Pack? Or does it come as standard with the Cooper S/SD?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one in the boot. In the US, there is Storage Package it came with. Storage Package is part of the Premium Package too.

From the MINI website:

Storage Package - $250
Whether you're just motoring to the grocery store or heading on a cross country road trip, keep your belongings in check with the Storage Package: Storage net in passenger footwell, map pocket on back of front seats, variable double luggage-compartment floor in the luggage compartment, 12V power socket in luggage compartment, and a cargo position for the rear seat bench.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Uk owner here one in the front by the usb port one in the rear or trunk right side.bonus is its permanently live as far as I can tell. I have chilli pack, not sure what you need to order to ensure you get one!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the replies people.
@Sunster - Did you have to specify a particular option to get the 12V in the boot? i.e. Chili Pack? Or does it come as standard with the Cooper S/SD?
As Jeremy says, I think (though correct me on this one) it's part and parcel of the chilli pack. may be worth just checking with the dealer to make sure if you are able to add the pack on or not. Trying to do it after the fact would be problematic and/or costly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're all a wealth of information - finding the forum really, really helpful.

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it.

Sunster/JeremyBingham - Yes I suspect it must then be part of the Chili pack - not the end of the world if not - far from it! But here's hoping the car will have it.

kyleshelton - thanks for taking the time to paste that - hopefully same in the UK here.

I think I saw a thread on Dash cams on this forum so I'll check it out for people's experiences. I still think its in its infancy here, but could prove invaluable!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi Pedro,

I've got the socket in the boot, and I've got the chili but I'm fairly sure it fell within the storage pack as has already been said above.

I've just fitted the new mini 0806 cam in the front, it tucks away nicely behind the mirror. I got a hard-wire kit thrown in, so I've tucked the wires into the headlining, down the a-pillar trim etc then into the fuse box. The only tool I used, for want of a better word, was a credit card to help gain access to the trim panel.

I'm now considering getting an 0801/0803 ie cheaper for the back, but hadn't decided if I would attempt extending the wires and tucking them along the headlining or using the socket in the boot. Of course I should have planned ahead, and got a blackvue, but as a grippy Scot it just seemed too expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mikeswagon,

That's good to know buddy, I ordered the 0803 based on Techmoan (YouTube) getting a dud 0806 - I'm sure his was just a fluke that he got a bad one.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking socket in the back for the rear camera - won't be using the rear 12V for anything else and don't fancy tracking wires to the front!

Thanks for the credit card tip that will come in handy!

As someone who has never done anything like this - when you say you wired it directly to the fuse box, does that require any messing around or how did you do this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Pedro,
I have an 0801 cam in the rear screen.
Cable tucks in along the trim, but you always have to allow some cable to hang free so that when the boot opens to the cable is then taught.
Its a bit unsightly seeing the loop of cable when the boot is closed, but I have darkened windows to the rear and side so the cable cannot be seen from outside the car.
The cable routes around the rear body trim and plugs into the 12v socket in the luggage compartment.
I guess you could route it better but I just went for the simple approach.
The rear cam works fine (have an 0801 in the front screen too).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi mikeswagon,

.....Thanks for the credit card tip that will come in handy!

As someone who has never done anything like this - when you say you wired it directly to the fuse box, does that require any messing around or how did you do this?

Cheers.
I should have said, the credit card was just to prise the a-pillar plastic away slighty to tuck the cable in. There's a little box in the wire kit to stop battery drain, so I started from the fuse box side. Pull away the rubber door seal on the front edge, and you can then slide through the wires and off you go, it will all seem very easy once you start.

On the fuse box, use one of these bad boys:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230652186731?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This just goes in place of the fuse you want (no 70 for switched power), then there's plenty of metalwork under there with holes to get the earth.

Now I need to clean up my language, or turn the mic off :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MAC99 - yes having a bit of give in the wire makes sense - I hadn't actually thought of that but when I'm installing it I'm sure it would have occurred to me - either that or the camera would snap off on opening/closing the boot!

mikeswagon - Cheers for that - haha yes I'd definitely want the mic off completely!

Very handy tips - if either of you get the chance/time to do so, a few photos of these setups would be excellent!

·
Registered
117 Posts
12V socket in the boot area is only included with the Storage Package option.

This is the description of the package from the Mini website:
"Whether you're just motoring to the grocery store or heading on a cross country road trip, keep your belongings in check with the Storage Package: Storage net in passenger footwell, map pocket on back of front seats, variable double luggage-compartment floor in the luggage compartment, 12V power socket in luggage compartment, and a cargo position for the rear seat bench."

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello all,

Firstly I apologise if this has already been covered somewhere but I've searched for 45 minutes on this forum, MINI website and Google and cannot get the answer!

12V Power Sockets - How many will I get in a Cooper S? Crucially, will there be one in the boot? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of installing a rear facing dash cam to compliment the one that will be in the front, but don't fancy tracking a wire from the rear camera to the front of the car, so having a 12V socket in the boot would be ideal, otherwise I'll just do without the rear camera!

Many thanks,

Pedro
Pedro, the 12 volt sockets are live all the time I believe. So they may not de-activate your dash cam when the engine is switched off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pedro, the 12 volt sockets are live all the time I believe. So they may not de-activate your dash cam when the engine is switched off.
I find my cameras run for about 4 minutes after I have switched of the car, got out and locked it.
My previous cooper cut the power to the 12v sockets straight away.

This was a bit of a concern with the F56, but don't forget that most cameras come with an auto power off function.

I think its sort of useful because as you walk away from the car the cameras catch everything that is going on for a while, can be amusing when you watch it back (and possibly helpful in some situations like car parks?).

Been running these 2 x 0801's (front and rear) now for 3-4 months like this and all is fine.
For around £50 each the 0801 is a good buy IMO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pedro/All,
My front and rear Dash cam fit, 2 x Mini 0801 cameras each with external 32GB memory cards.

Some photos to show my camera locations.
Did not want to hard wire so both front and rear cameras plug into the 12v sockets.

Front cam from outside.

Front cam from inside.

Cable tucked in headlining and runs along this trim seam (did not want to disturb airbag A pillar trim!), and down under door seal and across carpet to front 12V socket.

Rear Cam from outside.

Rear cam from inside-cable looks unsightly, but slack is required when opening tailgate.
cable cannot be seen from outside of the car due to the darkened privacy glass.
Cable runs down tucked into trim and into the rear 12v socket.

Cable runs a bit messy I know, but I didn't want to hard wire them. This just gives an idea how the cameras look, and being small they can only be seen from outside by close observation.

Cameras can easily be removed from the car by sliding out sideways from the fixed base units (which is where the cables plug into), however the camera fit tends to get a bit sloppy so I have wedged with a small piece of thin card to secure them. Its much easier just to pop out and refit the memory card if you need to view or save some footage.

Hope you find this helpful;)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good effort MAC99, I ran out of time today to take some pictures, washing all that dirt off meant it's now dark. I'll try next weekend when I don't have the kids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you will have MINI connected, then save your money and install the application "Go Pro" you can then purchase a Go Pro camera and put it anywhere in the car to record information, even displaying it on either the 6.5" Visual Boost display or the 8.8" Media Pack display whilst driving!

Its brilliant, Give it a go!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts