Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on another thread:

12V socket in the boot area is only included with the Storage Package option.

This is the description of the package from the Mini website:
"Whether you're just motoring to the grocery store or heading on a cross country road trip, keep your belongings in check with the Storage Package: Storage net in passenger footwell, map pocket on back of front seats, variable double luggage-compartment floor in the luggage compartment, 12V power socket in luggage compartment, and a cargo position for the rear seat bench."

I have a 2015 MINI hardtop with the storage package and don't know where the socket is? By socket do they mean like a USB port type of thing? By luggage compartment do they mean in the trunk/boot?

I asked the dealer about it and he said my car did not have one. But I know from experience that the dealer doesn't always have the right information!

Where is my socket?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mini-girl, with the storage package you should have a 12V socket just behind the light in the luggage compartment. There's a plastic cover over it. That's in addition to the 12V socket in the front of the car, of course.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The socket is in the right side of the trunk/boot. It's sort of towards the backseats but like in the upper right corner. It's sort of hard to explain. It's under the cargo cover thing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found it!!!

Now I have to figure out what I can use it for. Is it supposed to be a power source that uses the car battery? What do people typically use it for? Think I had read somewhere that you can get some sort of ice box and plug it in to keep drinks cold etc. I can see that working as long as the car is running, but when the car is off would the drinks just go warm? Having stuff plugged in, wouldn't that drain the battery?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It also allows the rugrats.... I mean kids... in the back seat to plug in charging cords for phones and video games without having cords run up front!

On occasion, I have plugged my iPad in back there on a trip.

Of course you need a car charger with USB on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
We put the electric cool box into it on hols. Last thing to go in first out to mini(!) Mises battery drain. Keeps frozen meals frozen till we get to the cottage my wife books.national trust or English heritage have some lovely ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We put the electric cool box into it on hols. Last thing to go in first out to mini(!) Mises battery drain. Keeps frozen meals frozen till we get to the cottage my wife books.national trust or English heritage have some lovely ones.
Great idea Jeremy. I live in Aberdeen now, but still have relatives down in Leeds. My aunty always packs me off with her amazing curries (she cooks for a big family) when i visit and this way I can keep everything nice and fresh for the several hours it takes for the journey. Never thought of using for that! :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well I found it!!!

Now I have to figure out what I can use it for. Is it supposed to be a power source that uses the car battery? What do people typically use it for? Think I had read somewhere that you can get some sort of ice box and plug it in to keep drinks cold etc. I can see that working as long as the car is running, but when the car is off would the drinks just go warm? Having stuff plugged in, wouldn't that drain the battery?

Thanks everyone!
Plug a big inverter in there and run an electric chainsaw. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try it out.

Uke, just curious, what exactly are you doing with a chainsaw (I have some scary images going through my head right now)?

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Ps we find if you put frozen stuff in the electric cool box it will stay frozen nearly a day if you keep the thing plugged in.only know because lincoln to Cornwall takes a while!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Jeremy, the ice box stays cold even after the car is turned off?

An electric ice box is what I'm most interested in at this point.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Yes ours is a 12volt electric cool box, designed to keep things cool like a fridge rather than a freezer but load it purely with frozen stuff and it really doesn't start defrosting for ages.

Reactions: MINIgirl
1 - 20 of 20 Posts