Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Leaving appearance aside means you get very little for your £500. No better performance for example. It might be worth checking if they both come with run flats. I am sure a while back the standard wheels didn't but the upgrade wheels did.

·
Registered
2023 F56 Cooper DCT 700 miles, 2014 Countryman S, auto. 177k miles
224 Posts
Less sidewall will make for sharper handling such as turn in. 17" are offered on the S and are a pretty good ride, a little firmer. I have run 17" for years and years on R56 and F56. I am trying to slow down my driving so when my 1.5 arrives in November will do this: Use my old 16" winter wheels (Perillis Snow Control), then in the Spring make a change. I will note the Hankooks runflats that come on the 1.5 are literally the worst of the worst. 61/62 touring tires offered on Tirerack. So will likely so a 16" all season, Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. It is three peaks snow rated, side wall is relativley stiff. It is not available on 17" wheels. Then try to use it year round.

·
Registered
2020 JCW
139 Posts
The aspect ratio of the tyres will change as you go up (or down) in wheel size to maintain the overall same diameter.
With a lower sidewall you will get a firmer ride with better steering response. It will also look better, with a more balanced appearance.
My own opinion is that it will be an improvement. If your buying wheels and tyres new, then get a better quality tyre than fitted by Mini, something like Michelin PS 4 or 5's these will give you a huge improvement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The aspect ratio of the tyres will change as you go up (or down) in wheel size to maintain the overall same diameter.
With a lower sidewall you will get a firmer ride with better steering response. It will also look better, with a more balanced appearance.
Thanks, that all makes perfect sense.
I've amended my order to go up one size to 16 inch which hopefully is a good compromise for ride comfort, handling and appearance for the less sporty version of the Cooper.

·
Registered
2020 JCW
139 Posts
I dont think you'll be disappointed. My wife has just bought a new Cooper S with 16" wheels and it gives a really good balance between comfort and sporty handling, particularly compared to my JCW on 18" wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts