Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all, here is some more info.
The car is at 152 000 km, 2.0 engine petrol, early 2016, manual transmission, 3 doors and it has full service book.
Oil changes vary between 20-30k km but they are pretty much done every year.
Car feels solid and well placed. It has JCW kit on it (including the exhaust which makes me smile almost every time) with 211 HP.
Overall, I liked it and everyone else around notices that car. I had higher expectations when I drove it. Compared to Seat Ibiza Cupra FR (1.8 TSI, 192 HP) feels kind of dull, however interior quality is way superior.
The only thing that bothers me is the reliability of a car with that mileage. I know the engine is used in top end BMWs that probably can do 300K km with proper maintenance.
What would you advice me mini gods and enthusiasts?
Please start with Dodge or Buy followed by some reasoning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally if you like the car I would go for it.

Modern engines do last a good while if you take care of them.
So I’d recommend NOT following MINIs advice or the CBS (condition based servicing) as I presume the previous owner did, and service it more often around 8k miles, keeping the oil fresh and maintained.

I would assume that due to the high mileage on the vehicle that perhaps it was used a lot on the highway. This is probably the least stressed scenario for the engine anyway. This is an optimistic approach of course.

I try and buy low mile cars because I add lots of miles on anyway, but I personally haven’t had anything go wrong on my older cars with over 150k miles - it’s usually other components failing before the big oily bits.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just check for suspension, crash damage and do a decent test drive with it to hear/feel any issues with engine, or other components. Otherwise enjoy the ride!

my mini has 125,000kms on it and I keep on using it like there is no tomorrow

·
Registered
86 Posts
IT DEPENDS

hmmhm if i can add my 2 cents i would say it depends how much $$$ they want, since that could need work at some point. Also, how many owners? is that one owner? that also matters on that type of KM.

so it has 5 years and that's about 30.000 km per year or 2500 km a month, that's not little. I am on that sort of kilometers with mine but all due to C19 since we travel much more by car,. normally i wouldn't drive that much.

Also, was it all highway or city? If it's manual, how's the clutch? did they already do it at 150k km? do you know how to check it? Please have a look at some videos they explain how to have an idea, at least.

Did you have it checked by a trusted mechanic? i wouldn't hesitate to ask my mechanic for an expert opinion on those KM.

So main thing is the price then i would think a bit about it. as you said it's fully checked and stuff, but still 150k km

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IT DEPENDS

hmmhm if i can add my 2 cents i would say it depends how much $$$ they want, since that could need work at some point. Also, how many owners? is that one owner? that also matters on that type of KM.

so it has 5 years and that's about 30.000 km per year or 2500 km a month, that's not little. I am on that sort of kilometers with mine but all due to C19 since we travel much more by car,. normally i wouldn't drive that much.

Also, was it all highway or city? If it's manual, how's the clutch? did they already do it at 150k km? do you know how to check it? Please have a look at some videos they explain how to have an idea, at least.

Did you have it checked by a trusted mechanic? i wouldn't hesitate to ask my mechanic for an expert opinion on those KM.

So main thing is the price then i would think a bit about it. as you said it's fully checked and stuff, but still 150k km

It seems like it was driven on highways and in between cities roads.
The clutch felt nice and solid. It was grabbing kind of low.
I checked the servicebook, but I didnt check all the services. So i cant really say if clutch or timing chain is replaced but I have my suspicions that they have not.
I decided that if I have my doubts about a car I will be better without it. So it is a dodge for me.
I am still looking forward to join you guys in the club.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
86 Posts
in addition to that, if it's a manual gear, see if it suffers / suffered the squeaky clutch pedal bug. i got that on mine and i only have 30k KM, it's basically a screetching noise that happens either on cold or warm for odd reasons, many people have that on their Minis although not everybody.

A good workshop where i go to replaced completely the pedal's assembly and some bearings and it's now fixed.

although it doesn't have any functional problems, it's super annoying to hear.

Finally, if they didn't "do" the clutch at 150.000 KM yet, that's a sticky point for me.

Can you share how much they want for the car so we can get an idea and give more feedback?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
in addition to that, if it's a manual gear, see if it suffers / suffered the squeaky clutch pedal bug. i got that on mine and i only have 30k KM, it's basically a screetching noise that happens either on cold or warm for odd reasons, many people have that on their Minis although not everybody.

A good workshop where i go to replaced completely the pedal's assembly and some bearings and it's now fixed.

although it doesn't have any functional problems, it's super annoying to hear.

Finally, if they didn't "do" the clutch at 150.000 KM yet, that's a sticky point for me.

Can you share how much they want for the car so we can get an idea and give more feedback?
Just spoke with the dealer for 1 last time.
Neither clutch or timing chain has been changed.
They ask for 26000 euro. Take in consideration that in Denmark we have very high tax when importing cars (from 100% up to 180%).

·
Registered
86 Posts
hi

on those KM? seriously? they are crazy in my opinion, look this is in Netherlands, for cars from 2016, there's one which has 90K km and they ask 18k euro.... Mini Cooper S occasion | Tweedehands Mini Cooper S

This one you found has a cooler sport kit but still...

That's my opinion, i wouldn't get it for this price, 15.000-20.000 euro i'd think about it.

For that price you better drive over here and get a much newer car and import it, you'd save money IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi

on those KM? seriously? they are crazy in my opinion, look this is in Netherlands, for cars from 2016, there's one which has 90K km and they ask 18k euro.... Mini Cooper S occasion | Tweedehands Mini Cooper S

This one you found has a cooler sport kit but still...

View attachment 73041

That's my opinion, i wouldn't get it for this price, 15.000-20.000 euro i'd think about it.

For that price you better drive over here and get a much newer car and import it, you'd save money IMO.
In fact, it is the cheapest Mini Cooper S in Denmark.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bastards.... and to think these days we all drive much more thanks to C19 they should LOWER THE DAMN prices, rather than exploit them. aaarghhhhh sorry mate don't know what to say.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems like it was driven on highways and in between cities roads.
The clutch felt nice and solid. It was grabbing kind of low.
I checked the servicebook, but I didnt check all the services. So i cant really say if clutch or timing chain is replaced but I have my suspicions that they have not.
I decided that if I have my doubts about a car I will be better without it. So it is a dodge for me.
I am still looking forward to join you guys in the club.
Thanks for the responses.
timing chain lasts life of the car and my clutch is fine at 125000 kms.

by the way my Mini Cooper D is now valued at around 6000 GBP!

·
Registered
86 Posts
it's quite incredible seeing how much prices vary from one country to the other. in UK it's really good as a buyer but not as an owner i guess.... losing so much value.

I remember when we lived in London there was this Coop S for 3500 GBP, bit old but in good conditios and i was thinking about it.

maybe it's because the newer models are made entirely by BMW that they retain more the value? I wonder if newer Coops retain more value in UK or not?

but back to the original poster, what did you decide in the end? i still think is a lot of money for 150k KMs....

Actually how much does it cost a new one these days in Denmark? if that one is 26k, what would be new 50k€?

·
Registered
51 Posts
it's quite incredible seeing how much prices vary from one country to the other. in UK it's really good as a buyer but not as an owner i guess.... losing so much value.

I remember when we lived in London there was this Coop S for 3500 GBP, bit old but in good conditios and i was thinking about it.

maybe it's because the newer models are made entirely by BMW that they retain more the value? I wonder if newer Coops retain more value in UK or not?

but back to the original poster, what did you decide in the end? i still think is a lot of money for 150k KMs....

Actually how much does it cost a new one these days in Denmark? if that one is 26k, what would be new 50k€?
For reference I picked up a 2017 MINI Cooper S with 30k miles on the clock last year, fully loaded (LED lights, Nav XL, HUD, Harmon Kardon, reverse camera etc) for £12,500 GBP.

If I tried to sell it now it’s probably worth about £11k max maybe...? In 5 it’ll be worth peanuts when the new one comes out.
I’m not that bothered about depreciation as I will probably keep it for a long time (it’s all the car I really need for everyday driving), and it’s saving me a lot of fuel compared to my other car (main reason for purchase).

One of the positives about living in the UK I guess..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts